Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tomato Panic!

Started by Blumf, August 13, 2022, 05:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Second time growing tomatoes (Super Marmande), and this time we're getting fruit, but oh no! One of the branches, with a nice bunch of growing toms, has snapped at it's base. It's a fairly chunky branch, about 1-2cm diameter.

Should we try and splint it back to the main trunk, with added support? Or should we detach fully and chuck it in a glass of water, then replant when roots start up?

Buelligan

I'm afraid you just have to accept that that branch has to come off.  It won't root.  It might splint but you'd have to take of the toms first, so pretty pointless.

If I might ask, how are you supporting your plants and are you nipping out side shoots or what?

Whatever you're doing, I'd say your plant is telling you that it's not strong enough to carry the burgeoning crop.  May I suggest more support and removal of some fruit on overburdened branches?  I know it sounds wrong but losing the whole branch is worse. 

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on August 13, 2022, 07:07:38 PMIf I might ask, how are you supporting your plants and are you nipping out side shoots or what?

Canes plus some plastic hook things. It's a semi-bush variety so a bit awkward in that regard, but it does look like it needed better support. That particular plant had already survived a fox (maybe a cat, but I doubt it) attack, dragging the grow bag about for some reason and bending the main stem.

A few nice big fruits were on that branch, obviously too much to handle :(

shiftwork2

Under glass is always better, even if you only do a quick lean-to with a pane open at the sides.  That's all of my tomato advice, alright cheers

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Stick the branch in a plastic bag with a banana, so the tomatoes will ripen.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blumf

Alberon

The real trick is to carefully remove the branch and spritz it with virgin olive oil. Place it in a greased proof paper bag with a quarter of a lemon with two or three small holes for air. Leave it for seven hours and then gently remove and wash it. Then forcibly ram it up your own anus until none of it visible.