Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe: Jerry Sadowitz show cancelled by venue bosses

Started by Pinball, August 13, 2022, 09:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62533592
"The Pleasance said the second night would not go ahead as his material "does not align with our values"".

So what's this all about then? And what are their values? Apparently "Its director, Anthony Alderson, added: "The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material.""

Say what now? Clearly they are having a laugh, unlike their customers now.

Memorex MP3

Guess this means I won't be able to try seeing him for a few years as he's going to have the most insufferable people in the world championing him

imitationleather

Toby Young is being airlifted in as we speak to sort it all out

thenoise

P.s. bit more dirt dished out here

Scottish Daily Express??!?

namely

Quotecalled Rishi Sunak a 'p***'; said the economy was awful because it is run by 'blacks and women'.

"He got his penis out to a woman in the front row. The problem was not the audience - I knew he was an acquired taste. It was his indefensible content.

Sounds like good clean fun?!??!

Pinball

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thenoise on August 13, 2022, 09:26:20 PMSurprised its taken this long tbh.

If he was more successful and higher profile it would have happened years ago, I presume.

lipsink

Comedy Unleashed have already replied to his tweet asking if he'd like to do one of their shows.

iamcoop

Quote from: lipsink on August 13, 2022, 10:57:46 PMComedy Unleashed have already replied to his tweet asking if he'd like to do one of their shows.

He's probably got ten minutes on them as it is.

CaledonianGonzo

Comedy Unleashed don't have the fucking minerals to book him.

CaledonianGonzo

Genuinely baffling from Anthony Alderson. He's now backed himself into the position of having to defend every single thing that's said or done under his aegis.

idunnosomename

Quote from: imitationleather on August 13, 2022, 09:29:41 PMToby Young is being airlifted in as we speak to sort it all out
hope the bald bastard crashes into the sea

CaledonianGonzo

Andrew Doyle is already in situ. I walked by the muddled-looking cord-clad cunt just the other day.

somersetchris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 13, 2022, 10:36:14 PMIf he was more successful and higher profile it would have happened years ago, I presume.

I saw him a few years ago do a set that could easily have played to an EDL crowd with no changes. Fortunately the crowd was about 40 ageing hippies but yeah, it would not be a surprise to see him get a following of people who think he's 'telling it like it is'.

In one of his rare interviews he said 'If I thought anyone agreed with anything I said on stage, I'd give up tomorrow' 

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lipsink on August 13, 2022, 10:57:46 PMComedy Unleashed have already replied to his tweet asking if he'd like to do one of their shows.

It's frustrating that a genuinely poor decision by The Pleasance is going to be drowned out by these tools. There's certainly some sort of issue here that needs to be addressed, but it's going through the gobshite filter.

somersetchris

I'd be disappointed if his response wasn't 'I'd rather set fire to my own balls than be in a room with you cunts'

somersetchris

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 14, 2022, 12:52:17 AMIt's frustrating that a genuinely poor decision by The Pleasance is going to be drowned out by these tools. There's certainly some sort of issue here that needs to be addressed, but it's going through the gobshite filter.

Yup, it's trending on Twitter, and it's all 'oh the wokerati have cancelled comedy' by people who would not have the balls to sit through a Jerry Sadowitz set. Huge own goal by the Pleasance, if they hadn't done this then all the people complaining would continue to have no idea who Sadowitz is. He isn't for everyone obviously, but at Edinburgh you've got to know who he is when you book him.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: somersetchris on August 14, 2022, 12:55:41 AMYup, it's trending on Twitter, and it's all 'oh the wokerati have cancelled comedy' by people who would not have the balls to sit through a Jerry Sadowitz set. Huge own goal by the Pleasance, if they hadn't done this then all the people complaining would continue to have no idea who Sadowitz is. He isn't for everyone obviously, but at Edinburgh you've got to know who he is when you book him.

Aye. It gives culture war cunts a cause celebre. I saw a comedian today - who will remain nameless - go far harder on the royal family and the government than I've ever seen Sadowitz go. Granted he didn't use the racial slurs, but out of context it would have been incendiary. I also saw sexual nudity in the Pleasance in a show I walked into 5 mins after I saw AA stroll by. 

Fuck's sake.  Gadd got his willie out (onscreen) and won the fucking comedy prize.

up_the_hampipe

The first time I ever went to the Edinburgh Fringe, I saw Late N Live and there was boobs.

Harry Badger

Absolute fucking weasels and stupid cunts as well. How many times has Sadowitz played the Pleasance? I'm guessing it's in the hundreds. They know what his act is and were apparently OK with it, for about 35 years, until 24 hours ago.

I wonder if the Salman Rushdie thing has made them nervous.

Petey Pate

This is genuinely a case where cancelling a comedians's shows threatens their livelihood isn't it? Unlike Gervais and Chappelle who get paid millions by Netflix to complain about being 'cancelled', I don't think Sadowitz has any other income (working as a comedian at least).

Twilkes

Anyone know if he had ever played Pleasance or the EICC before? The latter I could possibly understand not wanting to be associated with This Sort Of Thing, but Pleasance should have known the score when taking him on.

Pinball

The gall and downright stupidity of the Pleasance to add that they are a 'venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material'.

Um, no you fucking don't, and yes you fucking do.

He was offensive for sure, but what do they think people attending a Sadowitz show were there for?

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Twilkes on August 14, 2022, 10:11:56 AMAnyone know if he had ever played Pleasance or the EICC before? The latter I could possibly understand not wanting to be associated with This Sort Of Thing, but Pleasance should have known the score when taking him on.

Not sure. Typically at the Fringe he's been on either with the Assembly or The Stand.  He's played the big purple cow as well.......but struggling to recall seeing him with Pleasance.

jobotic

Can't say I've ever seen Sadowitz or wanted to but he definitely isn't an ally of all these right-wing cunts who suddenly love him because they mistakenly think he's transphobic

And I hope he tells them that at some point.

Pinball

Some people who are against cancel culture aren't right-wing cunts.

Shaxberd

I'm not familiar with Sadowitz's work but I'm aware of his reputation, and it's set me thinking.

If a venue changed its mind on hosting Jim Davidson or Roy Chubby Brown, I think most leftish people would go "yeah, fair enough".

Whereas the vibe I'm getting here is that while the culture warriors are wrong as usual, the Pleasance also made a bad call. So what makes Sadowitz different from other deliberately offensive comedians? Is it that we know he doesn't mean what he says? As the same could be said for Jimmy Carr but the consensus here seemed to be that he's a twat and he deserved the criticism he got for his joke about Romany people, for example.

Not sealioning or trying to shit stir - just interested in people's takes on it.

Josef K

Honestly I think you're raising an interesting point and one I tend to think about whenever I see Sadowitz - my opinion is that he's absolutely nothing like Boyle, Gervais etc and genuinely a nice guy beyond his persona, but I would struggle to articulate why he's different.