Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's The Appeal Of Dubai?

Started by Dr Rock, August 14, 2022, 11:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

YouTube influencers, other yanks, all off to Dubai in ever increasing numbers? Have they done Europe already? Are they just copying each other?

Quote from: wikipediaTourism is an important part of the Dubai government's strategy to maintain the flow of foreign cash into the emirate. Dubai's lure for tourists is based mainly on shopping, but also on its possession of other ancient and modern attractions. As of 2018, Dubai is the fourth most-visited city in the world based on the number of international visitors and the fastest growing, increasing by a 10.7% rate.

To go shopping. ffs. Anyone been?

Fr.Bigley

It's mecca for the terminally vacuous and inherently stupid. As artificial as the influencers and just as classy. Its nothing more than a transit hub to me. Why anyone would go for a holiday dumbfounds me but then again, these people do not live in reality.

GoblinAhFuckScary

fancy palm tree island for oligarchs

Blue Jam

You can go and work there for a year, make a load of money tax-free, and then come back here and buy a house.

Coming back is the key part of that plan.

The Crumb

It's like Vegas but with an even worse idea of what good living looks like.

I can imagine the influencers have been 'influenced' by the Dubai Tourism Board and it's a sort of dreadful holiday pyramid scheme where the cunts without enough followers are going to be left with the bill.

Good place, been there. They have a tree at its airport. Plus you can get arrested for eating a sandwich with a woman if the police thinks you look a bit well up for it. They keep adding extra hats on top of the Burj Khalifa because nothing can be allowed as tall - not a Lego tower in Shenzhen and not the bulging baby pickled cock of dirty St Mary Axe.

GoblinAhFuckScary

imitationleather

Kankurette

It's very hot and full of shopping centres. Unfortunately you can't mention the fact it's run on slavery without some douchebag going 'ahhh but England has slaves too ahhh' or claiming you're being racist and immigrant workers in Dubai are paid fairly and not expected to work in ridiculous temperatures.

Fr.Bigley

The Arab way is convincing themselves that everything is fine and you're the problem. It's quite beautiful to watch them believe their own bullshit.

Crenners

It's a gleaming cultural vacuum of human rights abuse. 👍👍👍

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 14, 2022, 11:56:08 AMThe Arab way is convincing themselves that everything is fine and you're the problem. It's quite beautiful to watch them believe their own bullshit.
That's a general right wing mindset, isn't it? Ironic, considering gammon isn't halal.

Kankurette

Plenty of British apologists for Dubai too.

Jerrykeshton

For the influencers - hookers and Dubai portapotty's

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 14, 2022, 12:01:26 PMThat's a general right wing mindset, isn't it? Ironic, considering gammon isn't halal.

Not really, I'd say I'm the very antithesis of right wing..but then theres nothing right wing about failure to acknowledge human rights abuses, sportswashing, summary executions, draconian rules that encompass every aspect of society. Throw your gammon guff somewhere else as well.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I meant the Arab mindset, not yours.

Fr.Bigley

Dr Rock

Quote from: Jerrykeshton on August 14, 2022, 12:04:00 PMFor the influencers - hookers and Dubai portapotty's

That certainly seems part of it.

bgmnts

Talking to someone who genuinely did they want to travel to dubai and they're only a year younger than me.

Depressed me quite a bit when she told me that.

madhair60

No surprise that it's the favourite holiday destination of racist thug much-loved former footballer John Terry.

Psybro

It's got really tall buildings which appeals to me, but you can get that in New York City, and they're more apologetic about being a capitalist hellscape there, have better galleries and bagels.

imitationleather

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 14, 2022, 12:32:12 PMNo surprise that it's the favourite holiday destination of racist thug much-loved former footballer John Terry.

As if he can fucking read

shiftwork2

Dubai?

Why, what are you selling?

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Crenners on August 14, 2022, 12:00:32 PMIt's a gleaming cultural vacuum of human rights abuse. 👍👍👍

Yea, it really does look a lot like Portsmouth.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: imitationleather on August 14, 2022, 11:51:34 AMIt looks a lot like Portsmouth.

^^ quoted the wrong post.

I have worked with several people for whom it was an aspirational holiday destination. They also loved going Bullring at the weekend and Designer Outlets. One of the guys was one of those who are proud "never [to have] read a book".

Sebastian Cobb

It doesn't appeal to me because it looks like a hotbed of bleak conspicuous consumption.

I have some friends that moved there and they were whinging about the nepotism in their workplaces, although to be honest I think they were just experiencing somewhere where their own privilege carried no currency, had to hide my gut feelings of 'well what did you expect?'.

madhair60

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 14, 2022, 11:07:42 AMYouTube influencers, other yanks, all off to Dubai in ever increasing numbers? Have they done Europe already? Are they just copying each other?

To go shopping. ffs. Anyone been?

I didn't particularly relish driving 15 minutes up the road to Merry Hill, even when it had the monorail, so fuck getting on a plane for a bit of shopping.

The Richardson Brothers wanted to build the world's tallest building near Merry Hill at one point though, if they pulled it off then there would've been no need to make Dubai what it is.