Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's The Appeal Of Dubai?

Started by Dr Rock, August 14, 2022, 11:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 16, 2022, 02:37:22 PMBasically, the UAE is a vast swamp of slave labour populated by abused, hopeless wretches

What names do they post on here under?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 16, 2022, 02:37:22 PMBasically, the UAE is a vast swamp of slave labour populated by abused, hopeless wretches who shit gold for the tiny minority of ultra-rich demigods to hoover into their coffers, but are beaten to death if they pick it up.

It's gold-plated Hieronmyous Bosch.

Dubai, a land of contrasts...

Paul Calf

Land of cuntrasts moar like amirite?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on August 15, 2022, 11:03:08 PMJug of Tea > Cup of Tea

They should build a skyscraper taller than the Burj in Morecambe.

The Crumb

I just got this mad 100 mile long line city advertised on YouTube. Seems like it would at least be interesting to see, although clearly it's never going to be finished.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Line,_Saudi_Arabia

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Alberon on August 16, 2022, 01:24:53 PMIt's not really the appropriate time to start breakdancing.

Also the one pointing through the rear door seems to be shooting into the car.

The one pointing through the rear door seems to be shooting at the one firing into the rear windscreen.

Tbh I was hoping someone with Photoshop skills might have done a thread mashup between this and the Rod Hull thread.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: The Crumb on August 18, 2022, 12:21:57 PMI just got this mad 100 mile long line city advertised on YouTube. Seems like it would at least be interesting to see, although clearly it's never going to be finished.

Can someone just tell me if that's really good or really shit - I honestly don't know (the inevitable human cost aside).

imitationleather

It's barmy, is what it is.

I do kind of want to see the cunt built just so I can have a look at it. (Online, not by going there. Fuck visiting Saudi Arabia.)

Paul Calf

From the description, it looks like it's basically a long line of villages rather than a coherent city.

Sebastian Cobb

If it meets its renewable/no car etc targets it seems kind of good if not ostentatious. Sometimes you need mental and pointless stuff like that so people can copy the solutions into everyday stuff.

The Crumb

Quote from: Des Wigwam on August 18, 2022, 12:33:23 PMCan someone just tell me if that's really good or really shit - I honestly don't know (the inevitable human cost aside).

See for yourself. I kind of thought it was going to be a film or something from the advert. Personally not getting great vibes from it.

Paul Calf

Note also that Saudi Arabia, a country whose oil boom grew it from a barely-subsistent culture in a dusty, empty desert to one of the richest and most powerful countries on earth in the space of about half a century is now ensuring that new developments are fuelled by renewables.

And what's Pigshit Pork Markets doing? Getting rid of the solars.

Mister Six

All the talk about it being really good for the environment, but also having "40 percent of the world accessible within 6 hours", presumably by carbon-spewing hey plane, raises an eyebrow. As does the name, though that's just because of the video game Spec Ops: The Line, about going mental in a desert.

And as one of the comments says, it looks like the video that gets shown in the first act of a sci-fi movie, before everything goes to shit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 18, 2022, 01:17:38 PMNote also that Saudi Arabia, a country whose oil boom grew it from a barely-subsistent culture in a dusty, empty desert to one of the richest and most powerful countries on earth in the space of about half a century is now ensuring that new developments are fuelled by renewables.

And what's Pigshit Pork Markets doing? Getting rid of the solars.

Much like Norway setting up a big oil fund that benefits them to this day while GB stuffed the profits straight in rich cunts pockets.

seepage

Quote from: The Crumb on August 18, 2022, 12:21:57 PMI just got this mad 100 mile long line city advertised on YouTube. Seems like it would at least be interesting to see, although clearly it's never going to be finished.

Reminds me of Iain Banks' The Bridge

Endicott

Quote from: seepage on August 18, 2022, 02:31:25 PMReminds me of Iain Banks' The Bridge

Ha! Reminded me of the city that runs around the entire equator of a world in The Hydrogen Sonata.

studpuppet

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2022, 01:23:41 PMThe Richardson Brothers...

My girlfriend at college was from West Hagley and her dad (a surgeon at Kiddiminster General) knew one of the brothers socially. When we needed sponsorship for our Edinburgh Fringe show, one phone call and we had the company logo screenprinted on the back of our t-shirts.

Quote from: studpuppet on August 18, 2022, 03:25:35 PMMy girlfriend at college was from West Hagley...
She'd have been familiar with Bell End then.

studpuppet

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 18, 2022, 04:27:32 PMShe'd have been familiar with Bell End then.

Indeed - had her 21st in Belbroughton Church Hall. Never told me who'd put Bella in the Wych Elm, though...

And I bet they've got nothing like the Fountain at Clent in Dubai. It's got a skittle alley.

Endicott

Now there's a man who takes his holidays in Dubai. Or Vegas.