Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Fridge Question For The Science People (Google was no help!)

Started by elliszeroed, August 14, 2022, 12:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliszeroed

I have a can of Lilt.

I want it cooled.

I have the option of three fridges:
One empty.
One half full.
One very full.

Does it matter which fridge I put my can of Lilt it, if I want it cold fast?

Also: Does it have an effect if I leave the door open for five minutes before putting my can in?

Suckers got to know.

All Surrogate

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 14, 2022, 12:42:11 PMI have a can of Lilt.

I want it cooled.

One empty.
One half full.
One very full.

I suspect it would not make much difference.

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 14, 2022, 12:42:11 PMAlso: Does it have an effect if I leave the door open for five minutes before putting my can in?
Please don't do this.

imitationleather

You have three fridges?

Get a load of Nancy Pelosi over here!

Blumf

At a guess, the heat mass of the full fridge would probably help absorb the heat of the warm can. Whilst in the empty fridge, I doubt the heat the can brings would be enough to trigger the thermostat noticeably quicker.

Don't put in freezer, runs a risk of bursting as the freezing water expands. Do take a bag of frozen peas or something and wrap the can in it in the fridge for a few mins, before returning the peas back to their home.

TrenterPercenter

If you area trying cool something quickly then it's perfectly fine to put it in the freezer.  Obviously just don't leave it there until it actually freezes which would be longer than leaving it in the fridge too get "ice cold"

Zetetic

I think whether it's a safe bet to put (full) cans or glass bottles in the freezer really depends on your organisational and attentional abilities. (Although you can do things like set timers.)

I'm not sure what the three fridges fiasco says about these things in the OP, but I suggest it's nothing good.

Crenners

I put all wine in the freezer and when I want or need some wine, I just preheat the oven to 200 (or 180 for fan oven), put the bottle on a baking tray for 3 minutes for white wine and four and a half minutes for red wine. Then I decant it as usual and pour myself a glass at the perfect temperature. At that point, I stir it straight into my beef or chicken stock and away we gooooo!

TrenterPercenter

I'm worried that if the OP was not paying attention they might swallow the can of Lilt whole and die.  Therefore I think it is safest if they decant the Lilt into a plastic bag.  This also means that it can then be safely placed in the freezer without exploding their kitchen and potentially harming a small dog.

Butchers Blind

If you want it cooled quicker, wrap can in damp kitchen roll, leave in freezer for half hour. Chilled.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

You have three fridges and no ice cube tray???

I don't think it matters how full the fridges are, I think it matters what temperature setting they're on.

Sebastian Cobb

I want to get a second fridge to put my rotokeg in, although I need to make sure it's sealing properly before i bother.

Dex Sawash

Hot water freezes faster than
Spoiler alert
your mum
[close]

Mr Vegetables

I think a very full fridge would make it cool faster because solid things absorb heat more easily than air does? But that may be very wrong, I don't know.

elliszeroed

steve98

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 14, 2022, 04:43:06 PMI tried but the gerbil (Thomas) keeps pushing it back out. Very territorial.

Try a Patagonian weevil-shrew, they're really easy-going and welcome others into their home. I've been keepin' one for a mate, and it's been a real pleasure.

Bennett Brauer

Why don't you just put it right next to the Um Bongo you racist.

MojoJojo

buzby

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 14, 2022, 12:42:11 PMI have a can of Lilt.

I want it cooled.

One empty.
One half full.
One very full.

About 3/4 full is the sweet spot - there's enough room for the chilled air to circulate to keep existing items cool and cool your newly-added can of Lilt, and there's also enough thermal mass from the existing contents to help the chilled air to transfer the heat only out of the can of Lilt.
QuoteAlso: Does it have an effect if I leave the door open for five minutes before putting my can in?
All the chilled air in the fridge would be lost and the existing contents will start to warm up. The compressor would be working full pelt to try and bring the air down to the set temperature, but as the existing contents would have started to warm up, once you close the door the chilled air will be absorbing heat from those as well as the can of Lilt. It would therefore take longer to cool than if you just open the door, put it in and close it.

touchingcloth

What temperatures are the three different fridges at? Put your can in the coldest one.