Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rodney Hull (he is him)

Started by Mobbd, August 14, 2022, 01:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Saw this 1975 presumably-staged photo of Rod Hull and Emu fucking up the set of Blue Peter on Twitter. It just struck me as a really great photo.

Green jelly etc.

non capisco

That clip of Emu hoying Rod into a supermarket freezer has also been doing the rounds on Twitter again. As far as I can tell Rod Hull and Emu's post 70s output was a lot of stage school kid blighted shite but ^that^ is undeniably a brilliant bit of physical comedy.

Sex Wax

Just imagine having a lucrative career in fucking battering BBC employees. The dream.

With photos of Rod I want to shout through them: 'pay your taxes'; 'only buy a cheap house'; 'take care on your roof.'

Cold Meat Platter

Glebe

Replies From View

Quote from: non capisco on August 14, 2022, 01:09:52 PM

That clip of Emu hoying Rod into a supermarket freezer has also been doing the rounds on Twitter again. As far as I can tell Rod Hull and Emu's post 70s output was a lot of stage school kid blighted shite but ^that^ is undeniably a brilliant bit of physical comedy.

Great stuff!  Slight break of the illusion only when his left hand bungs some of the buckets to the right without Emu grabbing them.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on August 14, 2022, 01:09:52 PM

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 14, 2022, 02:41:04 PMEmu vs. Richard Pryor

The comments on that led me to this article about the appearance, which is a good read:

https://www.newsfromme.com/pov/col236/

QuoteAfterwards, I told Rod it had been hilarious. Without a trace of ego — and maybe even a touch of regret — he said, "It always is...for about five minutes. Afraid it doesn't go much farther than that."

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 14, 2022, 04:27:27 PMThe comments on that led me to this article about the appearance, which is a good read:

https://www.newsfromme.com/pov/col236/

QuoteEmu was a large, grotesque bird puppet, invariably found tucked under Rod's right arm. In truth, if you looked past the illusion, you might even figure out that what you thought was Rod's right arm and hand were actually a fake arm and hand. His real appendage was inside Emu, operating its cartoony face and beak.

These are the seemingly confident - but actually tentative and examining-the-reaction-in-your-eyes - words of a child checking whether he is correct in his hypothesis of how a magic trick works.

shiftwork2

Quote from: non capisco on August 14, 2022, 01:09:52 PMAs far as I can tell Rod Hull and Emu's post 70s output was a lot of stage school kid blighted shite

Emu's World was a career must for the pushy parents of one of the big stage schools.  Dozens of chest-out kids projecting in their pastel leg warmers.  Live though so plenty of dropped bollocks and heartbreak.  I remember one lad seized his big moment after a competition and proclaimed 'YOU'VE WON A BLACK AND WHITE COLOUR TV' before his face fell and he visibly deflated, crushed.  Often think of him and where his life went.

prelektric

As wonderful as that bit of physical comedy was, some years later it unfortunately led to this absolute spectacular shitshow:

Happy now? Eh?

shiftwork2

It's not hyperbole to say I would attack those ten year-olds with a flame-thrower.

Spudgun

Quote from: prelektric on August 14, 2022, 07:23:27 PM

Happy now? Eh?

Any credibility I had is about to go out of the window with this post, and you probably have to be precisely the right age to understand, but that is absolutely glorious. Pure art beyond the comprehension of the masses. They're all perfectly in their element, and although it starts silly, it just keeps getting better and better with every frame.

Sheer magnificence.

prelektric

Shush silly!

Of course it's magnificent

It's that horrible "Whooooo!" that ignites my absolute desire to murder every single one of them.

They actually reunited and recreated the opening bit of that for Comic Relief in 2017.

prelektric

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on August 14, 2022, 07:42:13 PMThey actually reunited and recreated the opening bit of that for Comic Relief in 2017.

Mate.

non capisco

Starting to realise that Grotbags was the misrepresented hero of the narrative.

Spudgun

Back to Rod, compare and contrast:

Twilkes

I like to watch clips of Rod Hull and imagine that the puppet isn't there, just his bare arm. It has all the tragedy of Garfield Minus Garfield, with added violence.

Glebe

kalowski

Quote from: Mobbd on August 14, 2022, 01:03:51 PMSaw this 1975 presumably-staged photo of Rod Hull and Emu fucking up the set of Blue Peter on Twitter. It just struck me as a really great photo.

Green jelly etc.
Emu's leg looks like Rod's massive penis.

Glebe

Quote from: kalowski on August 14, 2022, 09:46:33 PMEmu's leg looks like Rod's massive penis.

It's foldable and appears to have several foreskins.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on August 14, 2022, 09:26:20 PM

Mark Lamar showing that it's not as easy as it looks.

Rod Hull letting himself down by repeating the 'should have cleaned it before you came out' joke from earlier in the thread.  He should read the forum more carefully!

kalowski

We're all sensitive people
With so much to give
Understand me, sugar (ooh ooh)
Since we've got to be here
Let's live
I love you
There's nothing wrong with me
Loving you, baby no no
And giving yourself to me can never be wrong
If the love is true, oh baby

Replies From View

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on August 14, 2022, 07:42:13 PMThey actually reunited and recreated the opening bit of that for Comic Relief in 2017.

They should have recreated the whole song or nothing.  LAZY FUCKS

Although I do like that they looked up into the air when one of the children's voices was disembodied and they didn't bound down the stairs like the others.  Hopefully they died  :)

Alberon

Quote from: Spudgun on August 14, 2022, 08:03:36 PMBack to Rod, compare and contrast:

Of course, David Jason was originally cast to work alongside Emu, but, unfortunately, the two didn't gel the way Rod and Emu did.

king_tubby

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 14, 2022, 02:41:04 PMEmu vs. Richard Pryor

I was laughing out loud at this. An amazing feat of physical comedy.