Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rodney Hull (he is him)

Started by Mobbd, August 14, 2022, 01:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Alberon on August 14, 2022, 10:09:47 PMOf course, David Jason was originally cast to work alongside Emu, but, unfortunately, the two didn't gel the way Rod and Emu did.
I think you'll find David Jason was originally cast to play Emu, but there were specific issues around where Rod's arm had to go.

petril

David Jason originally qualified for the UEFA Champions League but had issues surrounding which group he'd be in

jobotic

Anton du Beke/Billy Childish has let himself get an emu

shiftwork2

Rod Hull and Emu bringing the house down on the Tonight Show has cheered me right up.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Glebe on August 14, 2022, 09:26:20 PM

Mark Lamarr being far too aggressive in attacking Rod and Emu with his own puppet, there.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Replies From View

Nowadays it's a different world to develop a physical comedy piece, because you can easily film yourself and see what works and what doesn't, and hone the routine quite naturally based on where your limbs should be, how quickly you should do something, and things like this.

Rod Hull's variations on Emu yanking him over and into things by lifting him by the head... I just can't work out how something like that could have ended up so perfect.  Just practising it in front of people, I suppose, and gauging from their laughter what worked best.  But it's a dodgy barometer, that.

Mobbd

I miss TV shows that were absolute chaos.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 14, 2022, 02:41:04 PMEmu vs. Richard Pryor

Proper worlds colliding that.

I like those comments that say you never knew what Emu was going to do next. Well, I'd have a good stab that he's going to attack someone and chase them round the stage.

non capisco

Quote from: Twilkes on August 14, 2022, 08:40:41 PMI like to watch clips of Rod Hull and imagine that the puppet isn't there, just his bare arm. It has all the tragedy of Garfield Minus Garfield, with added violence.

It is a bit much when you imagine Emu out of the equation, I suppose. Some oddball molesting people whilst shrieking "What are you doing that for?" to his own arm.

Head Gardener

I knew at 12 years old that the only way I'd get JS to fix it for me was to go for something more affordable easy to arrange ie a chance to attack Emu. But I was 14 and not too keen to go on when they finally got to my letter but I was press ganged into doing it by my dad - who also paid me £20 to wear a t-shirt with the name of his shop on the front, subtle advertising on the beeb as he saw it, looking like a twat I saw it. But I met Rod before and after the show and he was a true gent unlike JS who was creepy as fuck even then.

Mobbd

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 15, 2022, 02:31:26 PMI knew at 12 years old that the only way I'd get JS to fix it for me was to go for something more affordable easy to arrange ie a chance to attack Emu. But I was 14 and not too keen to go on when they finally got to my letter but I was press ganged into doing it by my dad - who also paid me £20 to wear a t-shirt with the name of his shop on the front, subtle advertising on the beeb as he saw it, looking like a twat I saw it. But I met Rod before and after the show and he was a true gent unlike JS who was creepy as fuck even then.

I'm sorry you had to meet Jim'll, but that was pretty amazing. When Emu attacks Rod, I'm afraid I laughed out loud. Do you still have the feather?

Head Gardener

Quote from: Mobbd on August 15, 2022, 02:40:04 PMI'm sorry you had to meet Jim'll, but that was pretty amazing. When Emu attacks Rod, I'm afraid I laughed out loud. Do you still have the feather?
a bit of it haha, the badge went to Littledean Jail black museum, it has its own display!

TheMonk

Mobbd

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 15, 2022, 02:57:40 PMa bit of it haha, the badge went to Littledean Jail black museum, it has its own display!

Excellent on both counts!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: non capisco on August 15, 2022, 02:19:09 PMIt is a bit much when you imagine Emu out of the equation, I suppose. Some oddball molesting people whilst shrieking "What are you doing that for?" to his own arm.

Ha ha! All the laughter removed and a voiceover intoning "Rod, an otherwise normal young man, has a condition that makes even simple things, like going shopping, a humiliating and terrifying ordeal"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: TheMonk on August 15, 2022, 03:07:21 PM
Doco.
This Is Your Life.

Quite admirable in that This Is Your Life opening when the red book is sprung on  him, how are Rod keeps it together to have Emu also looking around in surprise.

gilbertharding

I have a book at home - it's quite a serious book about the phenomenon of ruins as cultural touchstones written by a former curator of the Soane Museum. Anyway, before I read it, I was looking through the index and spotted an entry for 'Hull, Rod...'.

Obviously it was related to his ownership of the Restoration House in Rochester, but I found the incongruity of his name in that index quite funny. Perhaps you had to be there though.

Replies From View

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 15, 2022, 02:31:26 PMI knew at 12 years old that the only way I'd get JS to fix it for me was to go for something more affordable easy to arrange ie a chance to attack Emu. But I was 14 and not too keen to go on when they finally got to my letter but I was press ganged into doing it by my dad - who also paid me £20 to wear a t-shirt with the name of his shop on the front, subtle advertising on the beeb as he saw it, looking like a twat I saw it. But I met Rod before and after the show and he was a true gent unlike JS who was creepy as fuck even then.

Wow, that's great!

Rod Hull seems to genuinely pull Savile out of his element, which is fantastic.  And the way he saved you all from having to breathe the cigar smoke; when he lobbed the cigar towards the back he barely acted as if it was the Emu doing it.  I reckon you can detect an actual dislike of Savile from Hull throughout, but maybe I'm projecting.

You can also hear Savile's jealousy that Hull has such a great gimmick for making physical contact.  Standing up whenever Emu got stuck in, clearly gagging to take part.

Thanks for sharing it! 

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yes Emu, savage the disgusting nonce

Replies From View

Everyone in a Rod Hull episode is doing a pantomime at the moment.

The Giggling Bean

I watched an episode of Family Guy last week, they had a cutaway to the opening of a variety show from the Hudson brothers. One of those really annoying ones where they play out huge sections of another show. Anyway, on this particular episode it listed (and showed) the guest star that week was Rod Hull and Emu. I was surprised they appeared on US TV as well.

Jackson K Pollock

Will have to come back to it when I'm a bit less busy, but just started watching the Rod Hull This Is Your Life over lunch, and the table brawl with Chegwin at the beginning was something else. Was half expecting an ECW chant to break out!

Also Catriona (of "Hi, my name's Catriona" fame) is wheeled out at the beginning as - and I had to watch this back a couple of times and I'm still not 100% sure I got it right - the step daughter of the daughter from Hull's first marriage.

boki

Quote from: kalowski on August 14, 2022, 10:29:55 PMI think you'll find David Jason was originally cast to play Emu, but there were specific issues around where Rod's arm had to go.
I'm surprised he went for Danger Mouse, then.

gilbertharding

Are the rumours about Hull being hung well known?

I recall a story about someone happening to see him naked on his hands and knees in his dressing room describing him as being 'on all fives'... also suggestions that he could probably have operated the puppet with it if he'd wanted.

kalowski

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 16, 2022, 06:16:02 PMAre the rumours about Hull being hung well known?

I recall a story about someone happening to see him naked on his hands and knees in his dressing room describing him as being 'on all fives'... also suggestions that he could probably have operated the puppet with it if he'd wanted.

Here's another clip of Rod & Emu on American telly, appearing on the Hudson Brothers' Razzle Dazzle Show. When Mark Hudson went on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, he told a story about how, one day after they'd finished filming with Rod, the brothers were on their way to lunch. They heard Rod shouting "You fucking bastard!" etc. as they went by his dressing room. They assumed he was berating his agent, but as they passed the door they could see Emu, limp in a chair as Rod screamed at him.

non capisco

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on August 16, 2022, 07:01:56 PMHere's another clip of Rod & Emu on American telly, appearing on the Hudson Brothers' Razzle Dazzle Show. When Mark Hudson went on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, he told a story about how, one day after they'd finished filming with Rod, the brothers were on their way to lunch. They heard Rod shouting "You fucking bastard!" etc. as they went by his dressing room. They assumed he was berating his agent, but as they passed the door they could see Emu, limp in a chair as Rod screamed at him.

"And me and Emu, we were going up the big dipper....christ."

Quote from: TheMonk on August 15, 2022, 03:07:21 PM
This Is Your Life.
My god, the bit at 1.40 where he puts Keith Chegwin through a desk is amazing.

A really genuine, heart-warming reaction from Rod at seeing the big red book, too. That's lovely that is.