Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,363
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the language of internet gonks actually helpful?

Started by banana, August 15, 2022, 10:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

Quite a few people seem to get wound up online (Mumsnet style?!) by the words and phrases that people who spend too much time on Twitter etc. use which can be spotted a mile off and only really exist in internet land - a quick example of this is the silly *chef's kiss* thing that in my brief looks at Twitter seems to be a direct marker of someone being an insufferable moron.

Am I alone in thinking these words and phrases are actually quite useful (rather than just being banal) as they illustrate the character of the writer right away. This means there is no reason to take them or their position seriously as they have basically already told you they just lap up silly ideas and regurgitate them to appear 'in group'?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Nah I don't think so it's just slang. Everyone uses slang, especially people on here

Zero Gravitas

• spotted a mile off
  • Am I alone in thinking?
  • Actually quite x.

Mind worms banana, the most terrible bescaled mind worms.

banana

Mind worms is a nice turn of phrase, thank you.

There is possibly some crossover in the platitudes one cannot take seriously (like The Pleasance once from The Fringe), all that "doesn't fit with our values" stuff after (for example) a BT employee has been caught wanking and putting a toddlers dinosaur toy up their bum on an broadband install, caught on home CCTV etc.

Fr.Bigley

AITA. annoys the fuck out of me. You are the arsehole if you need to start a sentence with "AITA". Typical of clueless narcissists that use reddit as a form of collective therapy and justification for cunt behaviour.

"Am I The Asshole?",For those wondering.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 15, 2022, 10:35:02 PMAITA. annoys the fuck out of me. You are the arsehole if you need to start a sentence with "AITA". Typical of clueless narcissists that use reddit as a form of collective therapy and justification for cunt behaviour.

"Am I The Asshole?",For those wondering.

That and creepypasta [... or is it let's not meet that's the formalised one?] and JustNoMIL, Form kinds of microgenres with strongly enforced stylistic conventions and plausibly deniable veracity, it's a creative writing format.

Mister Six

oh no some people use different turns of phrase to me

Sebastian Cobb

I liked that guy who wrote meandering stories that ended with his dad taking him outside and beating him with jumper-cables.

ProvanFan

I used tl;dr in a work email once or twice.  I'm clearly part of the problem.   

jamiefairlie

I just can't....

Oh can't you? Well fuck off then.

Video Game Fan 2000

Butchers Blind

Quoteit makes me laugh when I hear people say VW. It's actually quicker to say Volkswagen.

H-O-W-L

These are pretty much all Redditisms and that site and its arsehole upvote system have been disastrous for global communication much like Facebook has.

Mobius

No one:

Absolutely no one:

This thread: <funny picture>

touchingcloth

Quote from: banana on August 15, 2022, 10:17:50 PMthey have basically already told you they just lap up silly ideas and regurgitate them to appear 'in group'?

I never do this, it's total shit for cunts.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 15, 2022, 11:24:51 PMThese are pretty much all Redditisms and that site and its arsehole upvote system have been disastrous for global communication much like Facebook has.

The rest seems to be "what if I, straight american man, used slang associated with queens and housewives wouldn't that be witty and ironic?"

and that's the tea

dissolute ocelot

I knew someone who used ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ in work emails. He's been replaced by a robot now. I know I should be sad but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kankurette

LOL NO lolz! For the win! All your base are belong to us! Purple monkey dishwasher spork penguin of DOOM!

dissolute ocelot

Quick edit. I just saw this and now I promise never to shrug again.

Zero Gravitas

Sending so many glomps out to you guise right now.

Jumped-up sneering little cunts, yous think you're not grave soon?

Mobius

Zero Gravitas

Doing an ideology while touching the lathe and dousing each other in anti-horny spray.

Video Game Fan 2000

Mobius

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 16, 2022, 02:14:24 AMthis one is worse than the penguin of doom copypasta

Sounds like someone woke up today and chose violence!

Zero Gravitas

jamiefairlie

"That's it, that's the post"

Fuck off, fuck the off off.

"Do better"

Fuck off

Video Game Fan 2000

Zero Gravitas

Mobius

Normalise threads about

*checks notes*

internet gonk language