Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the language of internet gonks actually helpful?

Started by banana, August 15, 2022, 10:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

VGF, I don't get the 'folks'/'folx' thing either. It's something to do with 'folks' being easier to understand across languages. I think. I tried to research why it was such a big thing and was none the wiser. It just makes me think of Ned Flanders. 'Folx' is even stupider because 'folks' already IS gender neutral, you don't need to make it more inclusive. Apparently 'folx' means you're showing your support for trans people or something but it just smacks of 'I'm one of the cool kids and you're not'. And in my experience people who use that term are massive wankers.

dontpaintyourteeth

Pink Gregory

dontpaintyourteeth

Vodkafone

Quote from: banana on August 16, 2022, 08:37:54 AMSocial media theory people often say that stuff that gets posted online isn't necessarily that the poster may genuinely like or believe but how they would like to be perceived, by associating with positive social trends or trying to manoeuvre in the imagined hierarchy.

There are social media theory people? Please provide me with gun now thanks.

Video Game Fan 2000

yeah best no one studies a massively influential social phenomenon and technological trends

whats next, scientists studying ducks? they're ducks

Vodkafone

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 16, 2022, 09:41:08 PMyeah best no one studies a massively influential social phenomenon and technological trends

whats next, scientists studying ducks? they're ducks

You're right, it just sounded wankerish I guess.

Video Game Fan 2000

in all fairness it does attract a lot of wank but i cant talk

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 16, 2022, 09:41:08 PMwhats next, scientists studying ducks?

Well, first they'd need to get their ducks in a row...

Video Game Fan 2000

in the humanities itd be more important that the ducks were having a row

Literally any remotely bad / dodgy / disagrees-with-me-even-slightly famous person is apparently a 'grifter' and I'm actually sick to the absolute fucking back teeth of it.

Few things really get my blood boiling than seeing a comment along the lines of 'grifters gonna grift' whenever some minor media personality gets them in some sort of trouble (not me getting cancelled!!11!) Same vibes1 as your parents throwing their hands in the air and clicking their tongue saying 'What are we going to do with them, eh?' after your younger sibling has literally commited a crime.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 16, 2022, 01:16:40 PMIf anything we're seeing the slowing of changes of language, homogenisation and the end of real generational differences in favour of one big cultural blanket, one that talks like Whedon/TVTropes/MCU. I like HOWLs post.

I remember seeing a really fascinating Tumblr post a while back that this thread reminded me of about how about 90% of TVTropes was written in the mid-to-late 2000s by your permanently online proto-neckbeards in their parent's basement, and thus has a heavy slant towards that era. You go on any page and it's all Charlie the Unicorn and Nostalgia Critic and old Cracked.com articles and then suddenly the words 'Covid-19 Pandemic' appear, leaving you shell-shocked that people are still updating it, but only to add more recent examples and fix typos in the 'Woobie' 'Jerkass' 'Awesomeness' fossils. I remember they said the site is like the virtual equivalent of a tropical island where everyone speaks English like Geoffrey Chaucer.

I would definitely say they won the internet that day hahahaha this fucking gif haunts my dreams.

1 'vibes' gets a pass from me personally, mainly because it feels a lot less formal and stiff than 'is like' or 'similar to'.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Vodkafone on August 16, 2022, 09:58:27 PMYou're right, it just sounded wankerish I guess.
Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 16, 2022, 10:01:23 PMin all fairness it does attract a lot of wank but i cant talk

Like any field of study it encourages a lot of industry-backed chaff grenade bullshit studies that make people wonder why it's studied in the first place, but you get the odd study containing a kernel of truth that jettisons out amidst the garbage. Much like pretty much all the studies on tobacco pre-1995, vaping pre-2020 etc...

Pretty much all fields of study are unfortunately permeated by industry-backed "nothing to see here folx BLAM AGAB [rainbow flag avatar]" masking stuff designed to make all casual inspection glance off like a laser beam in a Half-Life game. Not that all study is worthless -- it's very valuable infact, and even some of the tainted or suspect studies contain useful bits of truth that creates a clearer whole -- it's just one of those things where unfortunately a lot of it is fucked.

Kankurette

I thought a grifter was someone trying to con people out of their money. Like Allison Bailey.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on August 17, 2022, 02:38:28 AMLiterally any remotely bad / dodgy / disagrees-with-me-even-slightly famous person is apparently a 'grifter' and I'm actually sick to the absolute fucking back teeth of it.

Few things really get my blood boiling than seeing a comment along the lines of 'grifters gonna grift' whenever some minor media personality gets them in some sort of trouble (not me getting cancelled!!11!) Same vibes1 as your parents throwing their hands in the air and clicking their tongue saying 'What are we going to do with them, eh?' after your younger sibling has literally commited a crime.

I remember seeing a really fascinating Tumblr post a while back that this thread reminded me of about how about 90% of TVTropes was written in the mid-to-late 2000s by your permanently online proto-neckbeards in their parent's basement, and thus has a heavy slant towards that era. You go on any page and it's all Charlie the Unicorn and Nostalgia Critic and old Cracked.com articles and then suddenly the words 'Covid-19 Pandemic' appear, leaving you shell-shocked that people are still updating it, but only to add more recent examples and fix typos in the 'Woobie' 'Jerkass' 'Awesomeness' fossils. I remember they said the site is like the virtual equivalent of a tropical island where everyone speaks English like Geoffrey Chaucer.

I would definitely say they won the internet that day hahahaha this fucking gif haunts my dreams.

1 'vibes' gets a pass from me personally, mainly because it feels a lot less formal and stiff than 'is like' or 'similar to'.

What was this woman laughing at?

(Great thread by the way, I've contributed with petty annoyances in some of the recent language-complaints discussions but this one's become fascinating and I've been thinking about some of the points being made quite a lot).

Paul Calf

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 16, 2022, 06:45:22 PMis 'cunt'?  I think it is.

I never, ever use the word to refer to a woman so for me it isn't.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on August 17, 2022, 02:38:28 AMLiterally any remotely bad / dodgy / disagrees-with-me-even-slightly famous person is apparently a 'grifter' and I'm actually sick to the absolute fucking back teeth of it.

Yes. I think British people like saying 'grifter' because it makes them feel like Jack Kerouac or in a 1950s hard boiled detective novel or something?  They'll be saying 'huckster' next, mark my words.

jamiefairlie

'Fash', gets right on my tits, typical Student Grant type word.

Fr.Bigley

somersetchris

Quote from: Kankurette on August 16, 2022, 12:56:55 PMI HATE it when Brits say 'y'all'. You're not Texan. Shut up.

Yeah this one's everywhere at the moment, it makes me irrationally angry

somersetchris

People who write 'I AM DEAD' or 'SCREAMING' when they repost a meme which is moderately amusing, at best.

Imagine if it did happen that people screamed out loud every time they saw the distracted boyfriend meme.

Also 'lololololol' or 'looooooooooooooool'. Laugh out out out out out out out loud?

Video Game Fan 2000

gilbertharding

The word 'troll' has similarly come to mean telling a blue-tick they're wrong. According to reports, the tweet which caused Giles Coren to be pleased Dawn Foster died was 'trolling'. People who've no idea what happened will be left with the impression Coren was merely reacting to terrible abuse.

Video Game Fan 2000

working class or transgender woman driven to a mental breakdown by brigading or falsehoods being spread ---> consequences
telling a journalist they're not wrong exactly just misinformed and would benefit from reading about something before they make a statement about it ----> bullying and abuse

jenna appleseed

Internet gonks? Are these bastards online now?

Also this thread is massively 'old man shouting at clouds' re communities that aren't Cab & people younger than you having their own slang and catchphrases.

touchingcloth

Has anyone noticed that some people seem to use "troll" to mean "trawl"?

"I was trolling Mumsnet earlier for some advice with dealing with my colicky DH". 

jamiefairlie

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 17, 2022, 11:03:32 PMInternet gonks? Are these bastards online now?

Also this thread is massively 'old man shouting at clouds' re communities that aren't Cab & people younger than you having their own slang and catchphrases.

Fannies and wee fannies respectively.

touchingcloth

Quote from: jenna appleseed on August 17, 2022, 11:03:32 PMAlso this thread is massively 'old man shouting at clouds' re communities that aren't Cab & people younger than you having their own slang and catchphrases.

The kids these days don't even shout at clouds any more unless they know that they're not triggered by loud noises.