Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the language of internet gonks actually helpful?

Started by banana, August 15, 2022, 10:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Anyone who says 'do better' = GRAVE.
Quote from: Zero Gravitas on August 16, 2022, 12:34:38 AMSending so many glomps out to you guise right now.

Jumped-up sneering little cunts, yous think you're not grave soon?
♥

Video Game Fan 2000

wish I was funny enough to rewrite the penguin of doom the style of comedians popular and unpopular on this forum

the laughs we'd have if i posted it in the middle of arguments about good taste

Video Game Fan 2000

but the real gonk language is used by 40 year olds not teenage neil gaiman readers

these people have children and may own houses and they say "well that happened" when explosions happen on the news

Zero Gravitas

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 16, 2022, 05:14:13 AMbut the real gonk language is used by 40 year olds not teenage neil gaiman readers

these people have children and may own houses and they say "well that happened" when explosions happen on the news

Whedonisms have destroyed our society, fuck fossil fuels.

Johnny Yesno

The Mollusk

Has it changed anything really in the grand scheme of things unless you live inside the internet? No, so who gives a fucking shit

banana

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 16, 2022, 06:11:50 AMHas it changed anything really in the grand scheme of things unless you live inside the internet? No, so who gives a fucking shit

The 'hard no' / how can you be so stupid? / it's only the internet oh noes replies (as ably demonstrated by Mister Six and The Mollusk in this thread) are also a bit fascinating. Although I am not sure if Mollusk is being serious or not in this quoted one.

Not trying to cause a fight here or anything like that but in some places they would generate a 'I bet you're fun at parties' or 'would you say that in real life'.

Social media theory people often say that stuff that gets posted online isn't necessarily that the poster may genuinely like or believe but how they would like to be perceived, by associating with positive social trends or trying to manoeuvre in the imagined hierarchy.

Didn't realise lots of these things are Joss Wheedon things, probably because I haven't seen his stuff! I imagined those bits were part of the infantilisation of reality represented in the cult of "doggos" and "pupperinos" which is another "red flag" from me (LOLZ).

Some phrases seem to wane - opinion piece headlines of "We need to talk about X" and "X needs to stop" (normally written by someone with zero experience of said topic) seem to have dried up. The sight of them often made me want to 'hurl abuse'.
Why is it always hurling?

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on August 15, 2022, 10:54:57 PMI used tl;dr in a work email once or twice.  I'm clearly part of the problem.   

I've also used tl;dr in a post on here. Feel a right twat now.

Shaxberd

In an abstract way, I find it quite touching that users of different websites tend to mimic each other's phrases. Humans are social animals. We're like parrots that learn to imitate ringtones and dogs barking, it's not about the meaning but being part of the flock.

It can get grating seeing the same things over and over again but I think it's unavoidable to some extent, friends and families in real life share in jokes and every online group will at some point develop phrases in common.

(Thanks CaB for putting "great bunch of lads" and "shit for cunts" into my vocab.)

Bernice

I note withe distaste the commone use of "you" in place of "thou". Into the grave with ye, scoundrelles!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mister Six on August 15, 2022, 10:41:43 PMoh no some people use different turns of phrase to me

The thing I like the most about internet discourse (especially on CaB) is the withering sarcasm.

Insert the hoary old acronym of the famous line taken from Mr.Saturday Night (1992) here.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Bernice on August 16, 2022, 09:19:00 AMI note withe distaste the commone use of "you" in place of "thou". Into the grave with ye, scoundrelles!

Forsooth ye cheffef kiff doth vex me greatly

Tony Tony Tony

Bernice

Can't stand these pantaloons lads march round in these days. So terribly serious! Wither the knee breeches? Wither the foppish mincing? You can take that beaver hat off when you talk to me too, you syphillis-tier Beau Brummell cunt.

Bernice

I see that dreadful cad John Keats has died. Methinks I shall start a thread – "Dead in a Grecian Urn" perhaps, or "On first looking into grave".

Thomas

We joke, but this sort of thing is infecting the education system. My 4-year-old nephew sincerely believes the Titanic disaster was an 'epic ice bucket challenge' and that the Cuban Missile Crisis happened because 'everybody was confused dot com'.

Captain Z

There was less time between the Titanic and the ice bucket challenge than the ice bucket challenge and now.

Paul Calf

Guise, language is a fixed and rigid thing and there are strict rules regarding neologisms, especially in English which, as we all know, has a Global Linguistic Purity Board based at Buckingham palace where the Monarch his/herself approves any and all innovations coined anywhere where English is used.

You can't just go using language to express any idea or emotion. That's not how it works.

Submit your neologism to Buck House and await the decision.

The Bumlord

I've been training appallingly young people lately and they talk in internet. I don't like it.

chip

Not me disagreeing with the CaBsensus 💀💀 the way I quick edited

Shaky

"Living my best life!"

A phrase always puked out by people who've done something as mundane as climbing a hill at the weekend or eating food at a restaurant.

Dayraven

Quite a lot of these are things that were funny a few times, but are badly overused.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: The Bumlord on August 16, 2022, 10:07:27 AMI've been training appallingly young people lately and they talk in internet. I don't like it.

As have I. I'm taking small solace in their pained winces when I deliberately malaprop "their" vernacular. 13/10

Replies From View

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 15, 2022, 11:23:39 PM
Quoteit makes me laugh when I hear people say VW. It's actually quicker to say Volkswagen.

WWF instead of what they mean, which is always "World Wildlife Fund".

GoblinAhFuckScary