Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things to do in Ceredigion

Started by Tony Tony Tony, August 16, 2022, 09:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

So we've hired a place in Llanarth for a week. So far I have seen my kids for the weekend and been to Aberystwyth and New Quay. They have cleared off back home and today we did Aberaeron.

What's recommended next Welsh funsters?

PlanktonSideburns

Some of the best coast line ever down that way

The reidol cafe in Aber is like a time machine greasy spoon if that's your sort of thing

Other than that fuck no it's mid wales all you got is great coast and views and that

Oh devils bridge for sweet waterfall

Also near that there's a mine tour that wasn't very popular so the added elves and goblins and made it a magic mine tour, that sounds like a laugh

Pink Gregory

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 16, 2022, 10:06:15 PMand are you Ceredigion it?

Yep, in my Cardigan.

(Piss poor Welsh gag there)

Captain Z

I hear there's a supermarket in Cardigan now.

But seriously, the estuary leading from Cardigan down to Poppit Sands is a lovely area, from memory. On the other side there's Cardigan Island Coastal Farm Park where you're quite likely to see seals. Either The Gwbert or The Cliff hotel restaurants up on the headland have dramatic views. Aberporth beach very nice although not much else there. Cenarth falls and coracle centre might take up half a day if that's your thing.

Bennett Brauer

Echoing Capt Z's recommendation of Cardigan Island Farm Park, one of my favourite places. Café's good too, but the views are stunning and seals almost guaranteed (I've seen seal pups on the rocks too).
If you're in Cardigan, Pizzatipi on the river is great. Giles Coren gave it 9 out of 10 in The Times last year, have I put you off?

You could also drop in to [redacted] and tell me to fuck off.

Brian Freeze

There's an army surplus store that had a big box of little swiss army knives that had been confiscated at airport check ins. That's worth a look. Think the place began with an S.

Icehaven

You could go to St. David's (formerly Lampeter) university for 3 years and get a mediocre degree and a drinking problem.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Brian Freeze on August 17, 2022, 04:56:22 AMThere's an army surplus store that had a big box of little swiss army knives that had been confiscated at airport check ins. That's worth a look. Think the place began with an S.

Sarnau, on the main coast road between Aberporth and Cardigan? Supposedly a massive selection of camouflage gear in the garden at the back, but there was nothing there when I last dropped in.

If you end up going down to Cardigan, you might as well carry on down the coast road into Pembrokeshire and see Newport, a beautiful little place with a river estuary that's good for birdwatching, and a massive, sandy beach. Then you're not too far away from St Davids if you feel the need to boast that you've been to the UK's smallest city. Not much room there in the holiday season, so a good opportunity to lose your temper with everyone.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 17, 2022, 10:13:23 AMSarnau, on the main coast road between Aberporth and Cardigan?

Sarnau sounds right. Cant remember much other than the box of knives by the till.

Local knife crime might have put an end to that though.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 17, 2022, 10:13:23 AMSupposedly a massive selection of camouflage gear in the garden at the back, but there was nothing there when I last dropped in.

Are you sure? It could have just been really really good gear.

Jittlebags

Roman gold mines at Pumpsaint. Appears you need to book ahead these days.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Brian Freeze on August 17, 2022, 10:25:43 AMSarnau sounds right. Cant remember much other than the box of knives by the till.

Local knife crime might have put an end to that though.

Drove through sarnau on return journey from Cardigan. There is indeed an army surplus place though they have branched out and is now combined with a deli. Sounds a bit of an odd combo though it works as we stopped off and picked up some local cheeses and had a mooch round the army store. Still no sightings of the camo gear though so it's obviously top stuff.

As tomorrow is my wedding anniversary it will be spent scouting out romantic restaurants nearby. Top of the list is deffo Aberaeron which struck as a charming regency town though vaguely reminiscent of Balamory. So that's a candlelit dinner in Suzie Sweets cafe but if Archie the Inventor looks to poke his nose in he can fuck right off.

Vodkafone

Quote from: Jittlebags on August 17, 2022, 01:55:18 PMRoman gold mines at Pumpsaint. Appears you need to book ahead these days.

Seconded. Atmospheric and genuinely interesting, verging on fascinating almost.

Aberaeron is also a good visit, and nearby Llanerchaeron has a lovely garden.

Those are my middle aged recommendations.

Endicott

Vodkafone

Also get yourself to an Y Popty (there's one in Aberaeron) and stuff your face with Welsh cakes.

Icehaven

Aberaeron is great, very good sunset spot.

Brian Freeze

The knife you've all been waiting for!