Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:30:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH Manchester Rally Today @7pm

Started by Buelligan, August 30, 2022, 10:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Just thought, just in case this has slipped people by - there's a rally, today, Tuesday, August 30, 7pm, addressed by Andy Burnham, Mick Lynch, Dave Ward, Zarah Sultana and Eddie Dempsey, in Manchester Cathedral with additional space, for those unable to be accommodated in the cathedral, outside.

There's also one coming up at St Georges' Hall in Liverpool on September 2. 

Details and links for registering here - https://wesayenough.co.uk/events/

If you sign up, they'll send you details of meetings and events coming to your area - https://wesayenough.co.uk/

Tell your friends, if you have 'em, otherwise, ask your mum to leave your tea out, better still, invite her to join you.

Buelligan

Just going to bump this because it's time-sensitive and so on.

Kankurette

I can't go to this because this fucking bug won't go away (I've had it for two weeks now) and I can't go to demos anyway, I've explained why in the group hug thread, but I hope my fellow Mancs on here can make it.

Buelligan

Sorry to hear you can't go but it's great you're supporting in spirit.

Here's a new vid from Owen -

Buelligan

One last bump as you've thirty minutes to get there.

Zetetic

shoulders

Crenners

Eddie Dempsey just made everyone feel ten foot tall, I'm welling up here, not felt so hopeful in a long time. I think Corbyn is a fucking angel, fantastic fella, heart massively in the right place, bright but not detached with it, respectful and sensitive politics. God love him he's got no charisma. His many attributes simply aren't suited to leadership. Eddie Dempsey is fiercely intelligent but he connects with people; the passion, bravery and clarity are tangible. People are buzzing when he speaks. Fucking inspirational.

Kankurette

shoulders

Quote from: Buelligan on August 30, 2022, 03:45:37 PMSorry to hear you can't go but it's great you're supporting in spirit.

Here's a new vid from Owen -

I was a little disheartened that there wasn't a clear set of goals offered when Jones asked him what Enough Is Enough sets out to achieve. Collectivism is fine but the population don't work in that way, we exist in moments, bubbles of enthusiasm and a rush for gratification before something else comes along. It is febrile but that has to be harnessed or nowt will come to owt.

Likewise he was lukewarm on concerted action involving multiple unions and anti-general strike. It seems to me like the opportunity to truly seize the moment is already potentially passing us by.

Laser focus must be on expressing concrete goals and practical action.

Buelligan

Join the movement and speak up then.  Personally, I think they're building a Hydra, something with many heads and faces, something that cannot be focused on, smeared and killed easily. 

Vodkafone

Quote from: Crenners on August 30, 2022, 09:22:45 PMEddie Dempsey just made everyone feel ten foot tall, I'm welling up here, not felt so hopeful in a long time. I think Corbyn is a fucking angel, fantastic fella, heart massively in the right place, bright but not detached with it, respectful and sensitive politics. God love him he's got no charisma. His many attributes simply aren't suited to leadership. Eddie Dempsey is fiercely intelligent but he connects with people; the passion, bravery and clarity are tangible. People are buzzing when he speaks. Fucking inspirational.

This is exactly how I feel. Exactly. Corbyn had good ideas but little ability to properly connect with people outside of a fairly narrow slice of the UK population. One of the things that people like Dempsey and Mick Lynch understand is that you focus on the everyday fight for better living and working conditions first, and the solidarity and internationalism flows from that, from the struggle and seeing people across the world engaged in the same struggle. You can't convince enough people of the importance of internationalism and solitary intellectually, they have to experience whose side they're on.

idunnosomename

Jen Williams works for the FT now. but will always be tainted by this, lol

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1238460692614844416

(and all other the shitty crap she's done to slide up the journalisms pole)

Zetetic

I was both fairly sure that you'd bring that up and kind of hoped you wouldn't. They've believed and said a bunch of stupid things. They've also done some decent journalism. In this case they took a reasonable photograph of a meeting.

Crenners

Owen Jones is another where his heart is in the right place but he's a sitting duck, easy target, comes across as a posh cunt playing politics, keyboard hero, hectoring Twitter bell, no doubt means well but a burden on a bad day, inherently divisive, will not connect with people who matter, the equivalent of playing Champ Man versus standing on the terrace, needs to get in the background and use his position to elevate better spokespeople, recognise the potential harm and shut his fucking mouth.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 30, 2022, 09:43:52 PMThose of you who made it, how was Burnham?

Shocked to see him dancing nude to Kelis' Milkshake.

EDIT: Apologies, I got lost trying to find the cathedral and ended up in Victoria's Gentleman's Club.

shoulders

Quote from: Buelligan on August 30, 2022, 10:23:35 PMJoin the movement and speak up then.  Personally, I think they're building a Hydra, something with many heads and faces, something that cannot be focused on, smeared and killed easily. 

Does it have a 3 year warranty out of the showroom?

Quote from: Crenners on August 30, 2022, 09:22:45 PMEddie Dempsey just made everyone feel ten foot tall, I'm welling up here, not felt so hopeful in a long time. I think Corbyn is a fucking angel, fantastic fella, heart massively in the right place, bright but not detached with it, respectful and sensitive politics. God love him he's got no charisma. His many attributes simply aren't suited to leadership. Eddie Dempsey is fiercely intelligent but he connects with people; the passion, bravery and clarity are tangible. People are buzzing when he speaks. Fucking inspirational.

Agreed, from what i've seen Dempsey is a class act.

Quote from: Vodkafone on August 30, 2022, 10:30:03 PMThis is exactly how I feel. Exactly. Corbyn had good ideas but little ability to properly connect with people outside of a fairly narrow slice of the UK population. One of the things that people like Dempsey and Mick Lynch understand is that you focus on the everyday fight for better living and working conditions first, and the solidarity and internationalism flows from that, from the struggle and seeing people across the world engaged in the same struggle. You can't convince enough people of the importance of internationalism and solitary intellectually, they have to experience whose side they're on.

Yup, spot on regarding Corbyn.

Quote from: Crenners on August 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PMOwen Jones is another where his heart is in the right place but he's a sitting duck, easy target, comes across as a posh cunt playing politics, keyboard hero, hectoring Twitter bell, no doubt means well but a burden on a bad day, inherently divisive, will not connect with people who matter, the equivalent of playing Champ Man versus standing on the terrace, needs to get in the background and use his position to elevate better spokespeople, recognise the potential harm and shut his fucking mouth.

I don't think that people like Jones, as one of the very few people in the Brit establishment media who is genuinely on the left, should shut their fucking mouths.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 30, 2022, 10:34:59 PMJen Williams works for the FT now. but will always be tainted by this, lol

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1238460692614844416

(and all other the shitty crap she's done to slide up the journalisms pole)

She was good when she was with the MEN, IIRC.

Kankurette

Jones pisses off both TERFs and the far right so I can't hate him too much.

idunnosomename

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 31, 2022, 01:19:06 AMShe really wasn't.
yeah, im sorry, the people who get journo jobs in our media are not good people

like look at her throwing a benny here

https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1032750767252365314

just pathetic. she can fuck off. along with Seb Payne and Janan Ganesh and the other landfill fucking cunts who work at the FT

Johnny Yesno