Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ATP vs The Fans

Started by explodingvinyl, January 23, 2007, 01:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

explodingvinyl

I looked around for a thread about this, but I couldn't find one.

Who is going? The line  up is so good it makes me want to cry.
http://www.atpfestival.com/events/vs-the-fans/line_up.php

I've never been to an ATP before, but it's not for lack of trying. This time I'm definitly going. I think.

Marvin

I was going to start a thread about this soon. It's going to be my first ATP and I can't wait!

The line-up is amazing and growing all the time, at the moment I'm most looking forward to Shellac, Apples in Stereo, The Notwist and Modest Mouse (with Johnny Marr) but there's plenty already that I can't wait to see.

EDIT: just noticed Patti Smith has just confirmed, ace.

actwithoutwords

Shit. Haven't looked at the line up for that one in a while. It's looking very good. Dilemma.
I have been considering going to The Dirty Three one: Nick Cave, Dirty Three, Joanna Newsom, Cat Power, A Silver Mt Zion, Yann Tiersen, Low.

Versus: Do Make Say Think, Explosions in the Sky, Modest Mouse, Akron/Family, the Notwist, Echo and the Bunnymen, Books, Grizzly Bear.

Bollocks. I have committed to a friend of mine to go to the first one I think, but shit, that second one looks good.
On the other hand, I am desperate to see Joanna Newsom. And hopefully will be able to get to DMST and EITS gigs while they are here. But fucking hell, the Notwist?!
Well, I suppose it's a good choice to have, but damn you ATP for dividing the number of artists I want to see quite evenly between the two weekends. Bastards.

I presume there are people here who have been to ATP before? I'm quite excited, it seems very different from yer average festival. Like you explodingvinyl, I've been meaning to go for years. But think I'll finally break my duck this time.

Marvin

Ha, hadn't noticed Explosions in the Sky had been added either! Wow, this line-up is just getting better and better!

The Dirty Three line-up is really good though too, would love to see Nick Cave,  Joanna Newsom, Low, Cat Power etc

actwithoutwords

Yeah, the addition of Explosions to the latter date has been the killer. They are hanging around during the time of the first one, so I had been banking on them eventually being announced for the Dirty Three weekend. Only to discover this evening...

explodingvinyl

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"Yeah, the addition of Explosions to the latter date has been the killer. They are hanging around during the time of the first one, so I had been banking on them eventually being announced for the Dirty Three weekend. Only to discover this evening...
I know. They have been one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Stunning.

There is a strong possibility I wont make rent this month.

chand

Fuck, man, I'd like to see most of the bands on that list. I'd love to see Shellac and Edan especially, but Ghost, Explosions and The Notwist too. And Modest Mouse. And Do Make Say Think. And Grizzly Bear. The Dirty Three's festival looks fucking ace as well. Shame I probably won't go to either.

no_offenc

I'm definitely going to this one.  Popped my ATP cherry last year at the last weekend they did at Camber Sands, and was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the new site and the number of people who were there.  This "vs the fans" one should be bloody marvellous, even if I am just going to see Edan and Shellac so far.

Marvin

For those thinking about going to ATP vs The Fans, it's worth bearing in mind that tickets are selling quite fast now, there's limited types of chalets avaliable.

I'm booked in, staying with five friends and I can't bloody wait. l've always wanted to go to ATP and the line-up is getting better all the time. As well as the bands I mentioned earlier, I'm looking forward to Ghost, Do Make Say Think, Edan, Echo and the Bunnymen a lot, although I think the thing I'm most excited about is getting to see three of my all-time musical heroes in the flesh; Johnny Marr, Robert Schneider and Steve Albini, that and the Butlins swimming pool obviously, which is ace.

Marvin

Battles, another band voted for by ticketholders, have just confirmed for ATP vs The Fans.

chand

Heh, I just remembered this, some super hardcore indier-than-thou flailing, posted on Jackie-O Motherfucker's blog when they pulled out of the Christmas ATP thing:

QuoteJOMF CANCEL ATP PERFORMANCE.
sorry to all who were looking forward to seeing us play at the festival, INCA ORE will take our time slot on sun. we have left atp recordings, and the parting was not at all easy... our reasons for leaving this company are many, but are primarily political. we cannot support the branding of independent music, we've seen this ugly beast before...
we would like to wish atp the best of luck in the future.

Sounds kind of intriguing.

Borboski

Quote from: "explodingvinyl"
Quote from: "actwithoutwords"Yeah, the addition of Explosions to the latter date has been the killer. They are hanging around during the time of the first one, so I had been banking on them eventually being announced for the Dirty Three weekend. Only to discover this evening...
I know. They have been one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Stunning.

There is a strong possibility I wont make rent this month.

Are you going to the Manchester gig?  I've noticed you're going to a few shows via Last.fm.

Sorry, a PM really, this.

Pie Pie Eater

I've got tickets for the Dirty Three one, should be great - always wanted to see Do Make Say Think, and Afrirampo are awesome too. But I'm also thinking about bankrupting myself to go to any or all of vs. the fans, Primavera and Hove which looks amazing and is in Norway, which would be pretty cool.

If Chavez or Les Savy Fav confirm for vs. the fans and I don't have tickets, I will be unbelieveably depressed. Good to see Youthmovies playing ATP for the first time, they are a great band - a sort of amalgam of Explosions In The Sky, Radiohead and Don Caballero.

As a five-time veteran of ATP I can assure anyone swithering about going that it is totally worth the money.[/url]

Marvin

Mogwai have confirmed for ATP vs The Fans.

The only things which excite me there are Patti Smith and Echo and the Bunnymen...and even then, I've seen the Bunnymen before.

For those of you who've never been to Butlins Minehead as a gig venue before, a couple of things to note:  if they're using the upstairs room for the gigs (which is usual, I think), they have a springy floor, which can be a little unsettling and also (more importantly) the sound drifts up from downstairs...which completely ruins any quieter aspects of whatever you're watching at the time.  If Patti Smith decides to recite poetry with a guitarist, the atmosphere will be completely fucked up by the sound of the disco downstairs.

Marvin

Excellent news, Yo La Tengo have confirmed for ATP vs The Fans! I'm so excited about that. As have Les Savy Fav.

Marvin

Wilco have been confirmed for this now, as one of the bands voted for by ticket-buyers.

Marvin

Yay, Okkervil River have been voted for and booked. Also just confirmed are Trans Am, The Thermals and Annuals, with offers out to Broadcast, The Go! Team and Clinic.

actwithoutwords

That line up is getting ever more annoyingly great.

Just noticed, they said they "can't afford" Death Cab for Cutie. Who the fuck does Ben Gibbard think he is?

Marvin

I think that's mainly because they already have some expensive-ish acts (by their standard) and have to pay travel costs for a lot of the US bands, but yeah that seems a bit crap.

samadriel

Oo, I dunno, I'm not fond of that Antarctic Tea Patrol...

shit.  New page.

Goldentony

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"That line up is getting ever more annoyingly great.

Just noticed, they said they "can't afford" Death Cab for Cutie. Who the fuck does Ben Gibbard think he is?

That's kind of worrying - i'd better leave AC/DC, Ghostface Killa and Devo off my nominations then if i end up getting a ticket.

Milo

ATP just makes me think of adenosine triphosphate, the universal energy currency for cellular processes. Maybe that's what they were going for.

manduck

The Go Team!, Bat For Lashes, Clinic and Cornelius now confirmed.

chocky909

Marvin

Wow, Clinic! This is going to be an incredible weekend.

no_offenc

Clinic were fucking fantastic last year.  Definitely going to beg borrow and steal to get to this one now.

ArchieGemmel

I say this every year, but it's the best line up I've seen yet.

Battles & Les Savy Fav at the 'nightmare before Xmas' one at Camber Sands in 2005 where Jaw-Droppingly amazing and they both have new stuff coming out shortly before hand I believe so new material should be getting a look in.

Rovis Teffyd

Bugger. I really need to go to this one...can't find anyone who's willing to put cash together  with mine for it - they've either got tickets or won't be able to go...Damn. Anyone want to help a poor orphan child?

Pilf

Quote from: "ArchieGemmel"
Battles & Les Savy Fav at the 'nightmare before Xmas' one at Camber Sands in 2005 where Jaw-Droppingly amazing

They were indeed! Battles played twice didn't they? I have a vague recollection of seeing them do two different sets, one of which I preferred.

I can't go to this ATP so I keep thinking, "Oh, they're only going to go for all of the more 'well-known' bands anyway, which removes all of the fun from it" (but I'm not looking at the line-up anyway as I'm sure it'll be torture).