Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scott Walker - The Drift

Started by StuartGranger, May 24, 2007, 09:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuartGranger

I had to download 'The Drift' after watching that amazing BBC doc about Scott Walker.

If you've never heard it, I advise you to do so.
It is beautiful and terrifying.

It will take you to a place you've never been to before. A place beyond fear or depression.
It feels like a series of diary entries written in poetry about another dimension.

4 arses

Quote from: StuartGranger on May 24, 2007, 09:54:04 PM

It is beautiful and terrifying.
It will take you to a place you've never been to before. A place beyond fear or depression.
It feels like a series of diary entries written in poetry about another dimension.

It will take you to... The Twilight Zone

Sorry couldn't help it, got The Drift about a month ago, only got round to listening to it last Sunday, had it on in the background and it kept jumping out at me. Really challenging stuff and seems further out than Tilt and Climate of Hunter. Definately worth a look if you prefer your music to be more than just verse and chorus.

Cack Hen

I really, really have trouble with his voice. Even his old crooning is a task to sit through. It's weird because I'm never usually one to take issue with odd voices in music, I love Joanna Newsom for example, but there's something really grating about Scott's, especially on The Drift.

It is a shame because musically, it does sound quite interesting, I just don't think I can  fucked to put the effort in with it when there's probably a million and one great albums I haven't heard yet.

StuartGranger

Quote from: Cack Hen on May 25, 2007, 01:16:16 AM
I really, really have trouble with his voice. Even his old crooning is a task to sit through. It's weird because I'm never usually one to take issue with odd voices in music, I love Joanna Newsom for example, but there's something really grating about Scott's, especially on The Drift.

'The Drift' is the first of his works I've heard, besides the old Walker Brothers stuff I was aware of.
I know what you mean about his 'crooning' voice. For me, this album is poetry put to music..it's so fucking dense, I've just been listening to it non-stop since I got it. There's so much to absorb it's unreal. I fucking love it. Each track is a journey, you just have to soak it all up. Trust me, it's good for you. Can't wait to hear 'Tilt'.
Currently getting a torrent of Scott 1-4, Tilt and Disc 5 of 'Five Easy Pieces' because it has some of the 'Pola X' soundtrack. I'll have to buy 'Climate Of Hunter' as I can't find it anywhere.

I'm so glad I've discovered this stuff, the guy truly is a 30th Century Man. :)

Edit: Ooh 'The Milk Man' theme is really quite spiffy.

Ciarán

Scott Walker is well-worth persevering with. I didn't get to see the documentary as I only have RTÉ at home at the moment.

I'm a bit surprised at your exception to his crooning voice, Cack Hen. But do you like the arrangements on those early solo albums? "Scott 3" is a particularly wintry sounding record, not least because of "Winter Night"! The string parts on that are the best he's ever had in my view - and I include "Tilt" and "the Drift" in that reckoning.

Ciarán

I thought I'd said all I wanted to there but like Scott Walker, I've unexpectedly returned.

One of the things I love about him is I really don't know where he's going. His music seems really far ahead of me. "Tilt" lay almost unplayed on my shelf for three years until I finally "got" it. "The Drift" isn't something I return to very often, I find it a bit disturbing, but I know i'll get lots more out of it. I think that's because he's really serious about what he does, and he cares about what he does. So his output deserves very close attention. Despite a few ropey records in the early-mid 70s he's not really let me down so far, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.  I mean even something like "Climate of Hunter" - it's a great album, an obscure one certainly but I don't know of anything else like it. It's odd even for him. It's full of squalling guitars, fretless bass and even Billy Ocean! I just watched a clip of the vid for "Track 3" on YouTube.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e8vpoj0lDs[/youtube]

I don't think Muriel Gray's interview is as inane as the clip provider suggests actually, but there you go.

When this film comes out on DVD (i.e. "30th Century Man"), and with people's appetitie whetted by the BBC doc, won't it be interesting to compare its reception with that of the similarly iconic Johnny Cash biopic "I Walk The Line"? Can we expect a spate of buskers singing "Here you are boy...here you are...here you are boy...here you are....I TILT TO SOMAL!! TILT TO BENGAL!!!!" and so on? Will people stampede to the shops to buy "Stretch"? Will "The Amorous Humphrey Plugg" finally get an airing on The X-Factor? Will... (Yes, we get the point, now shut up - Ed.)

LeboviciAB84

Quote from: StuartGranger on May 25, 2007, 01:31:18 AMCurrently getting a torrent of Scott [. . .] 4

Christ, you're lucky. It's one of 'those' albums: a record that verily jumps out and throttles you with its brilliance. Do come back with your thoughts!

Cack Hen

Quote from: Ciarán on May 25, 2007, 03:49:55 AM
Scott Walker is well-worth persevering with. I didn't get to see the documentary as I only have RTÉ at home at the moment.

I'm a bit surprised at your exception to his crooning voice, Cack Hen. But do you like the arrangements on those early solo albums? "Scott 3" is a particularly wintry sounding record, not least because of "Winter Night"! The string parts on that are the best he's ever had in my view - and I include "Tilt" and "the Drift" in that reckoning.

Well, to be fair, I haven't given Scott 1/2/3/4  much of a fair chance for aforementioned reasons, but yes, like The Drift, there's certainly some nice stuff going on there. I'm in the minority of people (although it has to be said; a significant minority) who think Neil Hannon is better than Scott Walker. I know a lot of people say he kind of ripped off his whole thing, but Neil's achievements as not only a songwriter, but as a composer (if you can differentiate between the two) is nothing to scoff at. A Short Album About Love is his him at the top of his game, and in my opinion, adding a whole lot more charm, wit, and elegance to that particular style of music than Scott Walker ever has.

StuartGranger

..Oh my God..

'Scott 4' is a masterpiece.

I jumped straight to it after 'Tilt' which has moments of excellence, but I feel 'The Drift' is far superior.

Quote from: StuartGranger on May 25, 2007, 03:43:51 PM
..Oh my God..

'Scott 4' is a masterpiece.

I jumped straight to it after 'Tilt' which has moments of excellence, but I feel 'The Drift' is far superior.

I saw the documentary by accident as I just had to have my TV on before it started.  Really glad I saw it.  Scott seemed like a scary and intense man.  I think I'd like to hear that album from '83, but 'The Drift' seems just that little bit too far out there for me.

LeboviciAB84

klaatu!

The BBC doc was an edited version of 30 Century Man (with Alan Yentob's voice-over added). The film is playing at various Picturehouse cinemas if you live near one. Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode interviewed the director (Stephen Kijak) a few weeks ago, which was interesting. It might still be on the Five Live site somewhere.

Ciarán

Great, I've checked and it's showing at the Irish Film Institute in Temple Bar from June 8. So get your asses down there, Irish readers.

Lee Van Cleef

I really enjoyed the music of The Drift. My beef with it is Walker's vocals, he sounds incredibly hammy.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, I was incredibly disappointed that the Yentob documentary was merely an edited version of 30 Century Man, especially after Yentob's utterly disingenuous introduction: "He has remained silent... until now."

I really thought we were getting a new interview, although considering this is Walker we're talking about, I suppose that was a bit naive.

And I can see why some people might have a problem with his voice, but it's never fazed me at all. Although I do like a good crooner, so maybe that's why.

Scott 1-4 contain some of the most amazing music I've ever heard in my life, and I'm not really given to hyperbole.   

Ciarán

I listened to "Scott 2" today and it's every bit as good as the other Scott albums, so track that down dekionplexis! Listen out for "Best Of Both Worlds", "The Amorous Humphrey Plugg", "Plastic Palace People", "The Girls From The Streets" and "The Girls and The Dogs" in particular.

StuartGranger

I really hate to bump this up again, but I can not express how great 'Tilt' and 'The Drift' are.
It just seems to make all other music seem redundant.

I'm still working through Scott 1, 2 and 3, 4 is amazing. 'The Seventh Seal' and 'The Old Man's Back Again' being personal faves.

I've been listening to 'The Drift' pretty much continuously since I got it, it's mesmerizing. And now, 'Tilt', fucking incredible.
The only thing I've found though, is that I've been having rather unusual dreams as a result.
My dreams are usually quite odd, but now they seem to have some sort of bizarre narrative and I find that I can remember them more vividly, quite strange.
Everyone should hear 'Tilt', hard to pick a favourite, right now I'm listening to 'Bolivia', he sure likes that deep dark grinding bass.
Lovely stuff.

"Doooo I hear 21,...21......21...?"

LeboviciAB84

Quote from: StuartGranger on May 26, 2007, 11:50:20 PM'The Old Man's Back Again' being [a] personal faves.

Crikey, you're me! Since David Bowie sneered at it on 30th Century Man, I thought I was going mad for thinking The Old Man's Back Again the King of his output. Turns out David Bowie is an overrated Anthony Newley impersonator who's not been any good for twenty years. Who'd've thought?

Ciarán

"Scott 4" is a terrific album, but it's not really significantly better than the other three "Scott" albums, in my view. "Scott 2" is about its equal, I'd say. If you haven't heard that Stuart, get it and I would alert your attention to "Best of Both Worlds", "The Amorous Humphrey Plugg", "The Girls On The Streets", "Plastic Palace People" and "The Girls and The Dogs".

Jemble Fred

I watched all of this last night – dunnee make some noise???

Nah, not really. It was fascinating, learnt all sorts of interesting tidbits. His latter work just doesn't appeal to me, but undeniably a fascinating chap.

babyshambler

For me, Scott 2 is the best thing he ever did. I have less time for anything after Scott 4.

23 Daves

To be fair, "Til The Band Comes In" is half a good album, as Jarvis Cocker references on "Bad Cover Version".  There's nothing wrong at all with side one, and it's quite an interesting concept piece.  It also has one of the best opening pieces to any album ever, soundtracking the noises around a housing estate of children yelling out, car doors slamming, taps dripping, etc, before screeching into the universal "Little Things That Keep Us Together".  I've always thought that was enormously strong.

"Scott 4", "Scott 3" and "Tilt" remain my favourites yet - and I'm deeply ashamed to say I haven't purchased "The Drift" yet, partly because I feel as if I haven't been in the right frame of mind.  "Tilt" was one of those albums you really had to give your concentration to, and you had to be in a fairly introspective mood to get along with.  I tried listening to it whilst doing data entry at work once, and that was a most jarring and unpleasant experience.  Alone by yourself in a dark room, however, it's just unbelievable.

sam and janet evening

I have developed a slight obsession with scott of late, having picked up the 'five easy pieces' box in HMV for a stupidly low price (less than a tenner - get in). oddly it was the tilt stuff that got me, and I am by no means an avant garde type. I'd heard a fair bit of his stuff before but (as has been mentioned) the hammy quality of much of it put me off somewhat, but hearing 'Farmer in the City' is the closest thing to life changing that these jaded ears have experienced since... well the first time I heard 'Like A rolling Stone' really. Anyway if there's a point to this slightly gushing and otherwise aimless (and indeed mildly drunk) post it's that his 'odd' albums are worth a go, even - especially - if you don't think that 'left-field' music is your thing. The seriousness that's been constructed around him can be terribly off-putting but it's still quite tuneful (on the whole) and deeply lovely.

anyone heard the Walkabouts cover of 'Man from Reno' btw? I could stick it up tomorrow, it's very very good.

StuartGranger

I just feel that people will be listening to 'The Drift' fifty years from now.
'Tilt' is also amazing, I'm not sure which one I prefer. It's all amazing stuff.

Deeply inspiring, I shall have to make something with one of the tracks.

That's all really.

It was all downhill after "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore"

Why I Hate Tables

Long Breathless Praise Of Scott Below
I've noticed that Scott Walker has throughout his career been pretty consistently great. His performances on The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine anymore and other Walker Brothers tracks are fantastic, and the Walker Brothers songs he wrote like Archangel and Orpheus are often overlooked. Scott 1, 2, 3 and 4 is possibly one of the most incredible sequences of albums in the history of recorded sound. No hyperbole, to me they are. I can't even skip The Band Comes In, containing as it does Time Operator and Thanks For Chicago Mr. James. His neglected albums (which my dad has on CD), have covers of Jimmy Webb songs and the like, and a fantastic version of Use Me, the Bill Withers song. Why no one has sampled the breaks on this version is beyond me.

A lot has been said of Climate Of Hunter kickstarting his weird phase, but I find it fits with a lot of the music of it's time like Japan (Ghosts is bloody astonishing, as I discovered earlier this week) and of course Eno. The buds of the weirdness had always been there. Plastic Palace People is a song about a small boys death with that recurring weird multi tracked out of sync bit which contains the line "Or your nose might shine". How many albums now start with an ever so slightly funky song that sums up the entire plot of the Seventh Seal, then sticks mariachi brass and huge voice choirs over it? Or indeed The Old Man's Back Again, a funk track about the crumbling of Communism? Anyone surprised by Climate Of The Hunter clearly didn't hear Night Flights either.

The first time I heard Tilt is possibly the most influential musical event of my life. It inspired me to start, in the hope at some point in my life I could reach these heights. It's not unlistenable either, as some criticisms have it. Farmer In The City is as lush as Montague Terrace or Plastic Palace People and less outwardly "weird" than the latter. The Cockfighter shows he'd been listening to industrial music. Patriot (A Single) is a fantastically perversely titled and moving song that again harks back to earlier. Bouncer See Bouncer is the bleakest thing I've ever heard. I can't describe every track in as much as I can't forget them.

The Drift is of course fantastic too. It's NOT Tilt part 2 though. Cossacks Are I mistook for Radiohead before his voice made it's terrifying entrance, and from then on it was a terrifying, draining and uplifting experience like no other. May he continue to work, but maybe he will go in yet another direction and confound us, like go the Johnny Cash route and work with a young(er) producer, or even something no one would think of. The second seems more likely. There, I've finished ranting.