Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jam tour without Paul Weller and other issues..

Started by Brian Coat, May 30, 2007, 05:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Coat

..I read an article at the weekend about The Jam touring without Paul Weller and how the band didnt really see an issue with this, as if Paul Weller was a bit player in the group as opposed to being the 'frontman' which leads me to ask a) Is a frontman the 'band' and b) are there any groups you stopped listening to after the 'frontman' left and was replaced by another?

Bit player?  He wrote 96% of the songs.  I have huge reservations about Foxton and Buckler doing this without Weller.  Actually, the thought makes me so angry, I'm surprised I can even type.  Where's difbrook?  He'll have something to say, no doubt.

Funcrusher

Quote from: trotsky assortment on May 30, 2007, 05:32:06 PM
Bit player?  He wrote 96% of the songs.  I have huge reservations about Foxton and Buckler doing this without Weller.  Actually, the thought makes me so angry, I'm surprised I can even type.  Where's difbrook?  He'll have something to say, no doubt.

I'm not a Jam fan, but the whole thing really is a travesty. The guy fronting them is from a Paul Weller tribute act, The Paul Weller Council (from memory). I know someone who's met the guy, and apparently he's a bit obsessed and sort of thinks he is Paul Weller, which is quite funny.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What are they going to do, play experimental jazz at a zoo?

ccbaxter

Don't see it as a huge scandal, myself - it seems like it might just be that, having made a happy enough post-Jam living for a while they fancied following in the footsteps of, say, the Police and putting out feelers to Weller whether he wanted to team up again, he characteristically brusquely says no, and they take themselves off on a little nostalgia trip at the expense of audiences who are out there. They did provide a very decent rhythm section, and this seems at least a little less cheap than a really half-arsed full reunion tour - which, judging by the contempt Weller seems to hold them in still, is never ever going to happen anyway.
I'm not bothered enough to leave the CDs - including all the so, so many live albums released - at home to see the new lot in action. But I can't help but find a little more pointless the new recordings of classic Jam songs by the new line-up. The stand-in singer obviously has had his Christmases all come at once, but what would be the point of Jam fans buying? Then again, there are those who buy albums, not just concert tickets, by full-on tribute bands without even an authentic Buckler or Foxton among 'em.

non capisco

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 30, 2007, 06:28:22 PM
I know someone who's met the guy, and apparently he's a bit obsessed and sort of thinks he is Paul Weller, which is quite funny.

That must be a bit weird for Foxton and Butler. They're probably hoping he doesn't sack it off and go and join a tribute Style Council once he gets bored.

I find the concept of people who devote their lives to looking and acting like famous people mesmerisingly odd. I went to a karaoke bar once and this professional Sting arrived and did 'Every Breath You Take'. Sang exactly like Sting, looked a bit like him. We were wondering if he'd only taken this up after someone had told him he looked a bit like Sting, and thereafter he's sat up every night training himself to sound exactly like him. Anyway, the karaoke was eventually won by two blokes arsing about doing 'Ice Ice Baby' and the ersatz Sting pulled a Catherine Tate and went mental at the organiser, screeching that he'd obviously been the best and that he always usually won. Even the real Sting would probably have been more gracious. I mean, what can you say to people like that?

Funcrusher

Quote from: ccbaxter on May 30, 2007, 10:25:25 PMBut I can't help but find a little more pointless the new recordings of classic Jam songs by the new line-up.

Are they seriously doing that?

I don't have a problem with Foxton and Butler going on the road as The Jam - why the hell not. It's their heritage as much as Wellers; they played on those records, Foxton wrote a few very good songs for the band (There was News of the World.........and....erm, Smithers Jones - was that one of his?)

People have accepted Pink Floyd without Barrett and Roger Waters, The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwell - so The Jam without Weller is bound to find a large and accepting audience.

I would prefer it if Foxton did the vocals, instead of the Weller-wanna-be. Foxton is a good singer and it would give more authenticity to calling themselves The Jam.

What I don't like is what Butler has been threatening - new 'Jam' material. Now that would be like shitting on a perfectly fried portion of chips.

ccbaxter

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 30, 2007, 10:40:47 PM
Are they seriously doing that?

I heard Foxton and Buckler interviewed on BBC London the other week, all very friendly and self-effacing the pair - and then they played a couple of their new re-recordings, including a very plain "Going Underground". Not really bad, so much, as just - well - unnecessary.

ccbaxter

Quote from: Tom Pynchon's Photo on May 30, 2007, 11:29:03 PMFoxton wrote a few very good songs for the band (There was News of the World.........and....erm, Smithers Jones - was that one of his?)

Yes, both of those were Bruce's - I think his songwriting contributions were among the most embarrassing Jam tracks for the most part, very clumsy heavy-handed lyrics (eg. "News Of The World" especially) and unmemorable-if-earnest tunes and delivery. "Smithers-Jones" was about the best of them, though. Except for his instrumental, "Circus", from The Gift, which was great and deservedly enjoyed a brief - strange - revival as incidental music accompanying goals on "Football Focus" about a decade ago.

Plus, he and Buckler shared a credit with Weller for brutally brilliant "Funeral Pyre", and Foxton's basslines played a key creative role in a fair few Jam tracks (even if Paul McCartney could claim a little credit, and then some, too...)

Quote from: ccbaxter on May 30, 2007, 11:39:36 PM
"Smithers-Jones" was about the best of them, though.

Weller wrote the second part of that one though (from "put on the kettle and make some tea" onwards), which is the best part of the song by a mile.  I think he was being pretty generous to let Rick take all the credit there.

Funcrusher

Quote from: ccbaxter on May 30, 2007, 11:39:36 PM
Yes, both of those were Bruce's - I think his songwriting contributions were among the most embarrassing Jam tracks for the most part, very clumsy heavy-handed lyrics (eg. "News Of The World" especially) and unmemorable-if-earnest tunes and delivery. "Smithers-Jones" was about the best of them, though.

Ah, that would explain why those two were in the set list for a recent "Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler of The Jam" I saw on the website. They did seem like odd choices.

'Smithers-Jones' is arguably the best song Foxton has ever written, though I'm torn as to whether I prefer the band arrangement (on the b-side of 'When You're Young') or the string-led re-recording (from 'Setting Sons').