Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is your computer the centre of your home?

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, September 07, 2011, 02:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie the Raincoat

I haven't had a computer desk in months.  I was using my computer mostly as a telly because the keyboard was difficult to balance on a knee, and my laptop as something to resent the second degree burns it gave me. I've mostly been using my phone for actual internet.

Today, though, I picked up a cheapo desk from eBay.  I threw out the ricketty, too tall for a short arse like me kitchen table.  Now the desk and chair sit in the kitchen, with the computer.  I am once again using it for actual typing and not just vacant staring.

I haven't left the kitchen all day.  The room I have spent the least time in has suddenly become the centre of the flat.  It's the modern hearth.

Is it the same for you?  Is your computer the bright light which you moth your way around?

Big Jack McBastard

My sexy 32 inch Sony Bravia is mostly used as a monitor these days, I rarely watch anything transmitted bar the news, add to that my gaming and especially all the torrenting in the background (some 800gb+ in the last month and a terabyte and a half in the one before) and my PC is almost constantly on.

It's certainly my hub, the wealth of information, madness, drama and entertainment available kicks the arse clean off even the most suped-up of TV packages.

So you're normal, by my standards, make of that what you will.

biggytitbo

Mine is about 2 and a half metres to the south of the centre.

BlodwynPig

CaledonianGonzo

Geographically:  no
Emotionally:  sometimes
Philosophically:  it's been known to happen

One of those time-lapse motion detectors that trails you round your home would probably document me spending a lot of time by my PC - but then I probably spend even more time in bed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

More so than ever when the analogue reception has gone, and you have to stay in all day because it's raining so heavily, and a locksmith is coming around to fit every door in the house with the same lock.

Famous Mortimer

I've got too many things I can use for that purpose for one of them to be the centre, but the desktop in the corner of the front room is used a lot. My old iMac was absolutely the centre of the house, because it was connected to the telly - the one I have now doesn't have enough connections for that.

Blumf

Not a computer but the network is central (even the wifi node is as close to the physical centre of the house as practical)

AsparagusTrevor

I built a Media Centre PC which happily sits under my TV, also I have my main computer wired up to the TV for big-screen gaming.

I'd say computers are very central to our living room.

small_world

I'm on the desktop PC in my front room almost all of the time I'm in... TV just doesn't really do it for me.
I'll sit on the sofa (huge) for films and stuff, but the rest I'm sat here.

And it's in a corner, into the chimney breast side thing, is that an alcove? Fuck knows.
I deserve to be sat in a corner most of the time anyway.

NaCl

my computer is rather large, coincidentally becoming the center of many homes, sometimes referred to as a housing center; we use the innards for warmth, and some of the simpler of my kind even find "food" in there.

HappyTree

I have a digibox for TV that isn't even plugged in. Everything I watch is downloaded and on the TV which is used as a monitor. Though today I found that ETV is streamed online

http://otse.err.ee/etv/

So now I really have no need ever to plug in the digibox and can practise my Estonian easily. So yes, the PC is at the centre. I use it for playing games, music and video.

momatt

Consignia