Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

500songs (Andrew Hickey)

Started by Satchmo Distel, April 24, 2023, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

I'm amused that Andrew probably sat through every one of Bach's 2 part inventions looking for a clue as to where the Light My Fire intro came from.

(I do have issues with him saying there's "triplets" in that intro, there ain't)

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The latest episode covers Astral Weeks by everyone's favourite batshit conspiracy theorist and all-round piss-faced curmudgeon Van Morrison. It's an absolutely gorgeous song and album, though.

SpiderChrist

Charles Mingus made an album called The Black Saint And The Dinner Lady?

I listened twice. He definitely says "Dinner Lady".

Another great episode apart from that.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 22, 2023, 12:59:50 PMIt's an absolutely gorgeous song and album, though.

It really is. Nice to hear AH giving Veedon Fleece a shout, too.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm catching up with some of Andrew's Patreon episodes. Fucking hell, the episode on Beverley Martyn is shocking, I had no idea that John Martyn was such a thoroughly reprehensible human being. An absolute sewer of a man.

I hope Beverley is enjoying a good and happy life.

SteveDave

One of the recent episodes on the Byrds briefly excerpted a clip of "Welcome To Hollywood" by the Asylum Choir and I "looked up" the whole album "Look Inside The Asylum Choir" earlier this week and can confirm it's all solid gold if you're into late-60s psyche-pop oddness.

Mr Farenheit

This is great, I haven't listened in any order and still have more than half to listen to. Highlights are the very early stuff (country and western are two different things, Dave Bartholomew's writing off Fats Domino as doing 'nursery rhymes'- the Oasis of his day!) and his deadpan description of some of Roger McGuinn's deadly serious esoteric sci-fi ideas for songs.

He recommended 'cocaine and rhinestones' recently, a podcast about country music in sort of a similar vein. Just started that and episodes on Loretta Lynn and Bobbie Gentry are tops.

gib

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on March 25, 2024, 04:40:05 PMHe recommended 'cocaine and rhinestones' recently, a podcast about country music in sort of a similar vein. Just started that and episodes on Loretta Lynn and Bobbie Gentry are tops.

this one really gets going with season 2. I don't know if he will make any more though as he seems to be putting his effort into doing a book

Tarquin

New episode up, Judas!

Took, slight, issue with the Byrds one - Sweetheart "Their greatest leagacy". Nope, Tamborine Man/Eight Miles.

Got a feeling my nit-picking will go crazy when he reaches acts I saw live (though that's for a future episode)..

A wonderful thing though. Adore this, makes my month when a new episode appears. Case in point, never heard this before, now I have and I am happier for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIe1lW5MwXI

famethrowa

Quote from: SteveDave on May 15, 2023, 10:59:00 PMFor all the work and stress he's put himself through for this episode, I'm never going to listen to it. The Greatful Dead are a terminal diarrhoea band.

I just finished the Grateful Dead episode, and I'm grateful that they're dead! Anyhoo, it was fascinating of course, but I don't think AH needs to apologize quite as much for not being chronological, I guess it's his way of creating a bit of mystique of his own. The "so it goes" gimmick wore a bit thin, but there we goes.

We've got 4 hours of dissecting and exploring this vast mythology of the Dead universe, with their links to classic artists and literature.... and then you listen to the songs and they're weedy wimpy nonsense. Sounds like CSN on Sesame Street.