Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:53:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apple TV recommendations?

Started by Blue Jam, April 28, 2023, 04:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Just got a new phone and with it came three free months of Apple TV. I've seen the first episode of Severance and loved it, saw the first episode of Ted Lasso and didn't like it at all, like the sound of Sharper. What else should I get down my eyeballs while I can, please?

neveragain

Blue Jam

frajer

Bad Sisters is pretty great. Lovely performances from all involved and a gripping concept with pleasing developments neatly parcelled out over the season.

shiftwork2

Severance is outstanding.  Calls is great fun.  Everything else I watched tended towards 3/5 which was oddly more frustrating than if had clearly been shit.

selectivememory

Seconding Mythic Quest. It's excellent and I think each season has improved on the previous one.

Enjoyed Shrinking. It's the gentle but biting sitcom everyone seems to think Ted Lasso is.

If you are old and like music, there's Beastie Boys Story and the Todd Haynes Velvet Underground documentary.

Loot is ok. Haven't watched Severance but that looks like it might appeal. Everything else on offer looks moribund as fuck to my jaded eyes

Blue Jam

Thanks everyone. I think I'm starting to see why Apple TV paid an insane amount to secure Vince Gilligan's new show...

The Guppy

The first series of For All Mankind is excellent. Its soap opera side begins to dominate after that, but I still like it.

paddy72

Severance is great.

Bad Sisters and Slow Horses also well worth your time.

The new Little Richard documentary looks interesting, if that's your bag. I've got that cued up for this weekend (alongside the snooker, of course).

Ant Farm Keyboard

Five Days at Memorial is some good David Simonesque television. Pachinko is some wonderfully executed multigenerational Korean-Japanese immigration story
Slow Horses is very fine. Schmigadoon! may only appeal to a small niche (fans of classic musicals who enjoy parodies) but it's absolutely aces in that niche.
And I definitely agree with most of the other recommendations. It's just that the service is overshadowed by Ted Lasso, which is quite overrated and is definitely not the best show there. Just expect a bunch of shows that ask you to side with a character who's an executive or a manager, as these are the categories that Apple (and Apple TV+) tends to target.

Regarding films, Apple TV+ is extremely hit or miss. Sharper and apparently Ghosted are in the miss section, like most of their high profile stuff, but Joel Coen's Macbeth or the PTSD drama Causeway, with Jennifer Lawrence, are very good, while Spirited or Tetris, while flawed and uneven, are very entertaining for the most part.

Feralkid

I really rate For All Mankind - which is terrific, though I should add that its best characters don't really show up until episode 4. Quite why Ted Lasso became the face of Apple TV when Molly Cobb was there the whole time baffles me.

I also really rate their film Finch, which is sorta like Umberto D via Fallout. One of the best science fiction films of recent years.

Dex Sawash

For all mankind is great, DONT READ ABOUT IT JUST WATCH FIRST EP. W/O SPOILERS.

Dex Sawash

There's a daft superhero thing from Turkey that was fun for a bit.

Tehran is tense and sort of treats Iran ok for a thing from Israel.

SEE was interesting for a couple of episodes. Post-apocalypse primitive clan-ish warring  society where everyone is blind. Absolute shit once the the mechanics of blind warfare stops being interesting.
Jason Momoa is good in it, I think.

Lasso spent way too much effort early on the
"Y'all drink tea hot and drive on the wrong side, lol" shit early and S1 got better as it went. S2 was crap. S3 may be better, hard to say.

Apple TV; largely shit.

Blue Jam

Mr Jam and I checked out the first episodes of Severance and Ted Lasso when we were on holiday and the little cabin we rented had an Apple smart TV so we did the free episodes. I loved Severance and made a mental note to check the whole thing out sometime, but I was astonished at how shit Ted Lasso was. Why was it so successful? Is it because the pandemic led to people enjoying any old crap?

Thanks everyone, think I'll sign up to this thing once the snooker is over.

aunt mildred

Is it just me or does anyone else enjoy For All Mankind more the dafter it gets?

Series four, we go to the Sun, get close, ship melts. That kid is still pissed off he's not shagging the main man's wife anymore.

kitsofan34

Dex Sawash

Quote from: kitsofan34 on April 30, 2023, 11:15:58 AMBlack Bird is a good laugh.

Forgot that was on Apple because there isn't a "but this element was shit so, barely watchable"
Grim as fuck and not for everyone though.

McDead

Slow Horses is good meat and potatoes telly, like New Tricks with a bit of a Gen X vibe. Some good jokes and decent plotting, a good show to watch if your dad comes to stay for a few days. This sounds like faint praise, but it really is very enjoyable.

Severance the best thing on there by a mile.

Malcy

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 30, 2023, 10:38:39 AMFor all mankind is great, DONT READ ABOUT IT JUST WATCH FIRST EP. W/O SPOILERS.

Thanks, I did exactly as you said and enjoyed it immensely. Nice Mad Men vibe, like Bert Cooper watching the moon landing. Not sure about 30 whole episodes of this though...

Quote from: aunt mildred on April 30, 2023, 11:07:45 AMIs it just me or does anyone else enjoy For All Mankind more the dafter it gets?

Series four, we go to the Sun, get close, ship melts. That kid is still pissed off he's not shagging the main man's wife anymore.

...on second thoughts...

Blue Jam

Quote from: neveragain on April 28, 2023, 04:49:37 PMMythic Quest?

Quote from: selectivememory on April 28, 2023, 05:05:27 PMSeconding Mythic Quest. It's excellent and I think each season has improved on the previous one.

Thanks guys! I wasn't too impressed with the first two episodes but at episode 3 it clicked. Bit like season 2 of IASIP ;) Love it now, it's got a great cast and a solid set of characters. Just finished season 1 and can see myself burning through the rest.

hamfist

another for all mankind fan here, so daft, loved it !

Blue Jam

Enjoying Silo so far. My kind of sci-fi. I should probably read the books.

One thing I really like about both Silo and Severance is that they both manage to look great without a massive budget and a load of CGI. Something a bit Star Wars/Fallout about Silo, I love the aesthetic. They're not like a lot of Netflix originals which have a lot of money thrown at them but where everything just looks a little bit cheap.

I liked Physical with Rose Byrne, it's set in the 80s about a housewife who becomes an aerobics teacher, Murray Bartlett is in the second series.

It's not perfect, but there's lot's of good bits.

Proactive

I really enjoyed The Morning Show, which is about the fallout following accusations of sexual harassment in a me-too era American news room. Great writing and performances all round from Steve Carrel, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and everyone involved really.

chutnut

The only one I haven't seen mentioned already is Servant, a few dodgy patches but really enjoyed it overall

Blue Jam

Quote from: Proactive on May 15, 2023, 05:33:56 PMI really enjoyed The Morning Show, which is about the fallout following accusations of sexual harassment in a me-too era American news room. Great writing and performances all round from Steve Carrel, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and everyone involved really.

Cheers, will give this a go. I'll watch Steve Carell in anything, even after the disappointment that was The Patient.

Oosp

Quote from: McDead on April 30, 2023, 08:09:48 PMSlow Horses is good meat and potatoes telly, like New Tricks with a bit of a Gen X vibe.

You can't teach slow horses new tricks