Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

help me my new computer is broke and I can't get past my own password

Started by Dr Rock, November 08, 2023, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

so my old mini mac finally died and so I got a new one from a friend and the first thing we did was try to use the time machines backups to transition the new Mac with the  previous ones 'identity.'
This didn't work.
Now I have a Mac that has the same HD name as the previous onscreen and a demand for a password. The previous one had a password to get it started and I'll tell you it was just the letter x. this one the X doesn't work even though it gives you a hint that the answer is x .
I can't get past password can't get the computer into recovery mode, I have no idea what to do except ignore the problem and order some delicious tofu. Are there any computer whizzkid-boffinds that can help me with this frustrating situation?

Dr Rock

well whoopdidoo I managed to get it into recovery mode. currently trying too reinstall the system. I'll keep you updated in this very exciting thread.

Dr Rock

...and turns out the solution was to type 'passwordreset' into terminal. On a new HD and everything is fucked up now.