Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bluetooth overear heaphones for phones

Started by BeardFaceMan, November 10, 2023, 04:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Can't be doing with stuffing shit into my ears any more (other than music), I'd like some bluetooth over-ear headphones that will work with a Samsung phone, please. Any good options for listening to music from my phone?

And good mp3 players for Android, while I'm here. Cheers!

Endicott

I don't have any over ear recommendations, but I do very much like poweramp as a player. You can trial it and then it's £6.49 to permanently unlock. Never had any issues with it, and it does shuffle properly unlike spotify so what more can I say?

touchingcloth

Any pair should work with an Android phone, so I guess the questions are:
- What's your budget?
- Are you arsed about quality?
- Are you arsed about size/weight/portability?
- Do they need to be wireless, or could they be wired ones which plug into a bluetooth dongle rather than phone?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Endicott on November 10, 2023, 04:39:23 PMI don't have any over ear recommendations, but I do very much like poweramp as a player. You can trial it and then it's £6.49 to permanently unlock. Never had any issues with it, and it does shuffle properly unlike spotify so what more can I say?
I'll check that out, it's amazing how many apps can fuck up the shuffle function.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 10, 2023, 04:40:46 PMAny pair should work with an Android phone, so I guess the questions are:
- What's your budget?
- Are you arsed about quality?
- Are you arsed about size/weight/portability?
- Do they need to be wireless, or could they be wired ones which plug into a bluetooth dongle rather than phone?

Got about 100 quid to spend, can go a little higher.
I'd like good quality, obviously, it will be mostly music listening with a few podcasts chucked in.
Not arsed at all about size/weight/portability.
A bluetooth dongle? I never knew of such things. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40s that I use indoors, you're saying I can buy a dongle, plug the M40s into that and then connect that to the phone via bluetooth?

touchingcloth

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 10, 2023, 06:24:20 PMA bluetooth dongle? I never knew of such things. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40s that I use indoors, you're saying I can buy a dongle, plug the M40s into that and then connect that to the phone via bluetooth?

I'm absolutely saying that. That's easily the most cost-effective way if you've got wired headphones you're otherwise happy with.

This page reviews a few of them - https://archive.ph/Hths6

I spent about £20 on one from eBay ten-ish years ago, and it's perfectly fine for me. This thread has some more audiophile options from what I can remember - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=82478.0

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 10, 2023, 07:07:24 PMI'm absolutely saying that. That's easily the most cost-effective way if you've got wired headphones you're otherwise happy with.

This page reviews a few of them - https://archive.ph/Hths6

I spent about £20 on one from eBay ten-ish years ago, and it's perfectly fine for me. This thread has some more audiophile options from what I can remember - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=82478.0

Ta muchly.

falafel

Unless you specifically want to be able to wander about without your phone connected directly to your headphones, the most, most cost effective way of doing it would be to get a USB-C to headphone adapter. Plenty of these around. Only works if your phone has a USB-C though, so if it is a few years old it might not be an option. But if you have a phone without a headphone jack it's probably USB-C because that's a fairly recent development.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: falafel on November 11, 2023, 08:48:22 AMUnless you specifically want to be able to wander about without your phone connected directly to your headphones, the most, most cost effective way of doing it would be to get a USB-C to headphone adapter. Plenty of these around. Only works if your phone has a USB-C though, so if it is a few years old it might not be an option. But if you have a phone without a headphone jack it's probably USB-C because that's a fairly recent development.

Yeah I suppose it doesn't have to be wireless, really, just able to be used with a phone without a headphone jack (this is the first smartphone ive had, i stupidly assumed all phones had headphone jacks, was severely pissed when i saw that mine didnt), I don't mind a cable.

flotemysost

I have those JBL wireless jobbies that every fucker has, I think they were 40 quid or so from Argos. Likewise they were initially bought when I realised my phone only had a type C jack and seemingly no bastard sells decent wired headphones for them any more (I feel like multiple disgruntled CaBbers have made threads about this now!), but it turns out they're actually handy for my work too because I hate the feeling of being "tethered" to my desk.

Anyway, I'm no AUDIO BOFFIN but they sound alright (although I was always an in-ear gal before so that was a bit of an adjustment), battery life is good, and they're comfortable to wear all day.

They are a tad on the leaky side I'd say; obviously depends where you're using them, sometimes my office is terrifyingly quiet but luckily at work I'm usually just listening to recordings of dishwasher noises like a fucking mental serial killer. But yeah, I guess maybe don't use them to listen to, I dunno, grotty audiobooks on a quiet train carriage or anything.

falafel

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 11, 2023, 10:09:13 AMYeah I suppose it doesn't have to be wireless, really, just able to be used with a phone without a headphone jack (this is the first smartphone ive had, i stupidly assumed all phones had headphone jacks, was severely pissed when i saw that mine didnt), I don't mind a cable.

This is the sort of thing:

https://amzn.eu/d/1Dmg05b

I have a feeling you can get them in the techy aisles of big supermarkets these days where all the other cables are. If the plug is the same shape as the one on your phone you should be fine.

Noodle Lizard

I've had some Bose Quiet Comfort 35s for the past five years and haven't felt the need to update. They're ace; comfy, great sound quality, some of the best noise cancelling I've found. They're not cheap, but I've found cheapness to be a false economy when it comes to audio equipment. They're old enough now that you could probably score some good second-hand deals.

Plexamp has become my go-to player ever since ditching Spotify. It's great, it reads your library and acts as a server which you can access from anywhere. As well as being able to handle any file type (including lossless formats), you can set it to transcode with OPUS on the fly in order to save data when streaming. I swear OPUS at 128kbps is indistinguishable from any 320kbps MP3 or AAC. It's free as well. Proper good.

QDRPHNC

Look at a brand called OneOdio. I've been using their (wired) Pro 50s for a couple of years now. They're all plastic, but very comfortable and for the money, the sound quality is superb. They have a couple of different bluetooth models.

QDRPHNC

Also, I think the best Android player is Pulsar. Lovely (well done) minimal design and very customizable, so you can turn off any sorting options you don't use and have a nice uncluttered experience.

samadriel

Over the last few years, I've been buying Sennheiser HD 350BT ('been buying' suggests they don't last long, but both the deaths were my fault.  Okay, one was my dog's fault).  Not the cheapest, but pretty affordable, really nice sound quality, and the battery lasts for fucking ages.

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-UK/p/hd-350bt/

My mp3 app of choice is Media Monkey for Android, because (if you get a Media Monkey license) it can sync wirelessly with the MM mp3 library on your PC.  Before I switched to phones for my music, I had Itunes and an ipod classic, and MM seems like the Windows-native program with the quality of life features most like Itunes.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/