Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,792
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 2)

Started by Mister Six, November 02, 2018, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 04, 2019, 11:59:15 AM
Just as James Bond films used to end with something like "James Bond Will Be Back in Octopussy" but now only end with "James Bond Will Be Back" because the current scriptwriters are more disorganised than they used to be...

They also changed their mind - Spy Who Loved Me promised For Your Eyes Only next.

daf

Dr. Who
From Rassilon With Love
Murray Gold's Finger
You Only Regenerate Twice
On The Brigadier's Secret Service
Timelords Are Forever

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 04, 2019, 12:43:51 AM
Chris Chibnall will return.

Sounds like something a dying demon might impart to curse his enemies.

Norton Canes

Quantum Of Solos. Followed by Kyfall.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 04, 2019, 12:12:51 PM
I normally don't go for the updated versions as usually the cheap CGI creates its own problems and you end up taken out of the story even more

Most of the added CGI effects look as cheap and naff as the original effects. They have done a great job on the snake at the end of Kinda, though.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 04, 2019, 01:18:48 PM
Most of the added CGI effects look as cheap and naff as the original effects.

Worse, because they don't have the benefit of being of the same time and original budgetary restrictions that you can forgive them in the same way.

I can't remember which Davison story has most of the characters in some kind of control room watching through a window as a spacecraft breaks up and they all cheer.  So in the original version it looks like a washing-up liquid bottle - fine - but you know what it is supposed to represent.  The early 2000s CGI remake just looks like a cartoon addition.  When the characters cheer it's not clear what they have been looking at - was it a computer screen simulation they observed?  Has the real spacecraft yet to break up?  It creates an unnecessary layer of confusion.

Sorry; wrong thread for this chat really.  But what more is there to say about series 11?

Quote from: Replies From View on January 04, 2019, 01:31:25 PM
Worse, because they don't have the benefit of being of the same time and original budgetary restrictions that you can forgive them in the same way.

I can't remember which Davison story has most of the characters in some kind of control room watching through a window as a spacecraft breaks up and they all cheer.  So in the original version it looks like a washing-up liquid bottle - fine - but you know what it is supposed to represent.  The early 2000s CGI remake just looks like a cartoon addition.  When the characters cheer it's not clear what they have been looking at - was it a computer screen simulation they observed?  Has the real spacecraft yet to break up?  It creates an unnecessary layer of confusion.

Earthshock.

And they're cheering Adric.

Bastards.

Mister Six

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 04, 2019, 11:59:15 AM
Just as James Bond films used to end with something like "James Bond Will Be Back in Octopussy" but now only end with "James Bond Will Be Back" because the current scriptwriters are more disorganised than they used to be...

Well it's the producers, not the scriptwriters. And to be fair, they don't have books to rip the titles off of any more.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on January 04, 2019, 01:31:25 PM
Sorry; wrong thread for this chat really.  But what more is there to say about series 11?

Has anyone mentioned that it's not been very good?

Deanjam

The CGI giant snake effect on the Kinda blu ray is a definite improvement. Don't know if it's on the DVD as I don't own that.

The updated effects are mildly interesting but I never view the story with them on. Anyone that bothered by low-rent effects probably wouldn't be a classic Who fan anyway.

daf

Quote from: Deanjam on January 04, 2019, 04:22:48 PM
The CGI giant snake effect on the Kinda blu ray is a definite improvement. Don't know if it's on the DVD as I don't own that.

Yeah, it's on the DVD - I don't think they remade it for the blu ray *

I think they only watched the original version for the DVD commentary (and moaned about it) - which is probably why they showed them the CGI version this time on the 'Behind the Sofa' feature - though it's a shame we missed out on Ace & Turlough's horrified reactions to the puppet version.

- - - - - -
* (they'd have had to 'fuzzy' it up to fit in with the original image quality anyway, so no harm done)

lipsink

Quote from: Mister Six on January 04, 2019, 02:20:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned that it's not been very good?

In years to come, people will go back and update it with CGI good writing.

mothman

Quote from: daf on January 04, 2019, 12:50:24 PM
Dr. Who
From Rassilon With Love
Murray Gold's Finger
You Only Regenerate Twice
On The Brigadier's Secret Service
Timelords Are Forever

The Man With The Galifreyan Gun
Live Dalek Die.

daf

The Space Pirate Who Loved Me
Moonbaser
Never Say Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow Again

Norton Canes

Christopher Eccleston in 'The Who Spy Loved Me' (bit obscure that one)

Replies From View

This is painful when you don't care about James Bond.

daf

Tsk! It's Jane Bond from now on - sexist beast!

Spoon of Ploff

How about amusing Dr Who word play with song titles from The Cure albums of the 1970s-80s?

daf

Sevateem Seconds
Panopticornography
Boys Don't Cry "HAIIII!!" while Venusian Aikido-chopping you in the windpipe

olliebean

BTW, Den of Geek says that Chibnall's "5 year plan" is actually a "5 year, 3 series plan," so presumably 2021 is planned to be another gap year.

Norton Canes

Brundle-Fly

That was my favourite episode of this series after the one with the blind girl and Kevin Eldon.  The internet joke was a bit on the nose for me but if it made only a few families sitting at home watching slightly squirm, then good.

It felt the closest to old new Who out of this series. I liked the Dalek using the girl's body as his way of getting about; reminiscent of the Planet Of The Spiders. Nick Briggs should've have thrown in the line "Concentrate. CON-CEN-TRAAAATE"  Dalek was quite gropey too; had its tentacles right down her top, the mucky mutant.

BTW, is that the most people that have ever been in the TARDIS at one time? I was half expecting the Sheffield Philharmonic Choir to turn up at the end.*

* I wasn't.

daf

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 04, 2019, 07:43:27 PM
BTW, is that the most people that have ever been in the TARDIS at one time?

Seven in Resolution :
Doctor Who,  Graham, Yaz, Ryan,  Microwave Aaron (Ryan's Dad), Lin, Mitch

Eight in Journey's end ;
Doctor Who, Donna Noble, Martha Jones, Rose Tyler, Jack Harkness, Sarah Jane Smith, Mickey Smith, and Jackie Tyler.

Eight in Earthshock * :
Doctor Who, Adric, Tegan, Nyssa, Kyle, Scott and two of his men.

- - - - - - -
* I saw nine mentioned for this one, but in a quick fast forward through the DVD to check, I could only count two of Scott's men (Scotsmen!) rather than three in the Console Room - but I might be wrong, & this one it could well be the winner

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on January 04, 2019, 07:33:14 PM
BTW, Den of Geek says that Chibnall's "5 year plan" is actually a "5 year, 3 series plan," so presumably 2021 is planned to be another gap year.

More likely we'll have a series in 2021, but in Autumn, with 2022 being the gap year.

Series 10 - Spring 2017
Series 11 - Autumn 2018
Series 12 - Spring 2020
Series 13 - Autumn 2021
Series 14 - Spring 2023

One series per 18 months.  I reckon that's what the BBC has been commissioning since Moffat's time, and for some reason the showrunner has to shoulder the blame.

Alberon

Yeah, this is clearly a funding decision above showrunner level.

sillymisslily

To think they managed to turn out fourteen episodes a year without fail from 2005 to 2008.

Does this mean it's a recession thing?

Norton Canes

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 04, 2019, 07:43:27 PM
BTW, is that the most people that have ever been in the TARDIS at one time?

Doesn't the Doctor give a whole horde of Minyans a lift home at the end of Underworld? Also there must be about eight or so in the TARDIS when the Sontarans (plus Castellan Kelner) give chase at the end of The Invasion Of Time?

Alberon

Fourteen episodes every twelve months is, very roughly, twenty one episodes every eighteen months. Whereas that dropped to roughly fourteen every eighteen months and then thirteen. It's now at around twelve (if you count the extra runtime each new episode has that's about equal to one old episode).

Doctor Who went HD from the last few Tennant specials and that would have put the production cost up, so maybe that was the impetus to cut back a bit so they could commission other shows.

It was mentioned by the Rick and Morty makers that when it comes to animation you can pick any two of CHEAP, GOOD and FAST. To a degree that would apply to an effects heavy live action show as well.

Replies From View

Why won't anyone state that Doctor Who is now officially only one series per 18 months rather than repeatedly building up hope and disappointing people?  Are the BBC seeking to avoid an 80s-style backlash?  It seems strange and sad that Moffat and now Chibnall have needed to take the blame and invent excuses.

St_Eddie

All these pages of waffle and yet nobody will address the pertinent question.

Which Doctor would you most care to shag?

St_Eddie

Haven't had a decent episode in a long time
See, the writers Doctor Who's had
Can make a good show bad

So for once in his life
Let him write something that's not total shite
Chris knows, it would be the first time
Chibnall knows, it would be the first time