Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

From The Oasthouse with Alan Partridge - Series 2

Started by Snrub, May 31, 2022, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snrub

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/05/30/50880/alan_partridge_goes_back_to_the_oasthouse

Series 2 of From The Oasthouse announced today as out at the end of September. 11 episodes so slightly less than last time but if it's as top quality as the last outing I won't mind too much.

iamcoop

Great news.

I rate Oasthouse higher than Nomad, and it's in my top 5 Partridge things ever.

The character really excels in audio format.

holyzombiejesus

No Seldom, no High Noon. Might be some new characters in the AP universe.

It's already up for pre-order on Audible. Only about 3 hours though - half the original.

frajer

I'd just assumed this was a one-off, massively pleased to learn I am a fool!

Quote from: iamcoop on May 31, 2022, 10:38:13 AMGreat news.

I rate Oasthouse higher than Nomad, and it's in my top 5 Partridge things ever.

The character really excels in audio format.

It's one of mine too, crammed full of magnificent little details. Small stuff like how someone at the swimming baths reported Alan as "doing widths" pop into my head a lot.

Just as Amazon offer me another free trial too. THAMAZON.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Guess this got shelved

QuoteHaving said that, he admits to enjoying the true-crime genre ("Nothing beats settling down with a glass of wine and a plate of sandwiches to be entertained by the ins and outs of a man found battered to death in a hedge") and is considering using a second series of his podcast to explore the disappearance of a friend who fell from a pier in 2013, never to be found. "I'm just waiting to hear from Audible as they've yet to say they definitely want a second series. I'm not worried. It's just that they said they'd call and thus far they haven't. It's fine. They've not not called. They've just not called."

BritishHobo

Fucking YES. Oasthouse was incredible, the absolute perfect blend of all the elements of different Partridge stuff. I can't wait to see what he's doing now everything good in his life has fallen apart again.

I'm so happy about this commitment they have to keep progressing Alan's life through these different projects. It would be so easy to churn out the same old stuff every year, but there's such a care for building this world in a way that makes sense.

BritishHobo

Pre-ordered with a free trial - then pre-ordered James Acaster's new book with the free credit they offered me upon cancelling. Pleasure as always Audible!

notjosh

Laughed at this:

QuotePartridge said: 'When it comes to podcasting, I was a late adopter. I believed - like millions of others - that the future of broadcasting lay in hologram technology.'

Cottonon

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 31, 2022, 11:18:36 AMNo Seldom, no High Noon. Might be some new characters in the AP universe.
This might be an obvious things you've just realised but... why the name Seldom?

QDRPHNC

Very excited for this. Although I'd rank Oasthouse just below both of the audiobooks - something about the episodic nature of it makes it less re-listenable, for some reason. Still love it though. This, the audiobooks and MMM, those are the top tier AP for me.

The Bumlord

Utter Shit

Glebe

bgmnts

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 31, 2022, 03:46:10 PMThey really are pumping out the Partridge.

Yeah wondered this. It's fucking amazing to have such a huge amount of consistent belly laughter but is Coogan in debt or something?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 31, 2022, 02:10:18 PMVery excited for this. Although I'd rank Oasthouse just below both of the audiobooks - something about the episodic nature of it makes it less re-listenable, for some reason. Still love it though. This, the audiobooks and MMM, those are the top tier AP for me.

Yeah, the recent stuff makes early partridge look embarrassing really. The Day Today was good as was IAP1 but everything else from that period seems cringe in comparison.

bobloblaw

The theme tune earworm returns. Just when I thought it was out.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 31, 2022, 09:50:30 PMThe theme tune earworm returns. Just when I thought it was out.

It's the smug way he says "...from the Oasthouse" that I still play in my head at least a few times a day.

TommyTurnips

I've never listened to this. Is there any way to listen to it without giving money to Jeff Bezos?

markburgle

Quote from: TommyTurnips on May 31, 2022, 09:56:03 PMI've never listened to this. Is there any way to listen to it without giving money to Jeff Bezos?

Yeah it's on YouTube

Menu

Quote from: Cottonon on May 31, 2022, 01:41:57 PMThis might be an obvious things you've just realised but... why the name Seldom?

I've been asking this for ages. Another mini-mystery is why 'Denton' is both the name of his house and the surname of his sidekick. I wonder if that was leading somewhere. Eg it would be revealed he'd somehow moved in with Simon's parents or something. But, er, probably not that.

Ooooh and yet another mystery is why 'This Time with Alan Partridge' was so fucking shit.

Menu

I noted recently that FTOH has the writing credits reversed. Every other recent Partridge thing has had the Gibbonseses names first and then Coogan's. This starts with Coogan. I'd been thinking anyway that this is the most Cooganised of any Partridge. That bit when he's spying on a bloke's house through the window just sounds like Steve Coogan talking(in terms of subject matter). Also a lot of it sounds very intimate - I realise that's the idea - but I wonder if Coogan wrote/improvised a lot of it by himself and then got the brothers to punch it up or something like that.

And whoever mentioned the scene where he's trying to run and speak at the same time is bang right. It's some of the best comic acting I've ever heard. Indeed the whole thing is such a high standard from Coogan. You sort of take it for granted but the range and the subtlety is amazing. Performances like this should win awards but they never do. I suppose people probably think he's just making it up as he goes along because he's so good at it.

Also who is the 999 operator in the brilliant first scene? She sounds really familiar.

Menu

Quote from: TommyTurnips on May 31, 2022, 09:56:03 PMI've never listened to this. Is there any way to listen to it without giving money to Jeff Bezos?

If it's at all possible for you to pay for it legally then please do so. Very selfishly I want there to be more of these beyond Season 2, and that will only happen if enough people pay for it. It's essentially £8 max. And if you have an Audible free trial it would cost you nothing but it would add to the 'ratings' or whatever.

Mobius

Quote from: Menu on June 01, 2022, 02:47:26 AMOoooh and yet another mystery is why 'This Time with Alan Partridge' was so fucking shit.

I remember being slightly disappointed as it aired, probably because any new Partridge gets hyped up a lot, but I've absolutely loved it more and more on each subsequent rewatch. I think it's mostly excellent really.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Menu on June 01, 2022, 02:47:26 AMI've been asking this for ages. Another mini-mystery is why 'Denton' is both the name of his house and the surname of his sidekick. I wonder if that was leading somewhere. Eg it would be revealed he'd somehow moved in with Simon's parents or something. But, er, probably not that.

This is a problem with Rob and Neil Gibbons. They drop shit like this into their writing and never do anything with it, and I don't doubt for a minute that they're totally aware that it'll get people talking knowing full well they never intend to pay it off. It comes across as very smug and, in a weird way, insecure, as though a layer of obscurity will enrich their writing. It's their one failing, I think they're absolutely brilliant writers otherwise. It's like a surface level approximation of something David Lynch would do, only with Lynch everything is explicably part of the whole.

Other examples include of course the stigmata and the dummy at the window.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 01, 2022, 08:15:50 AMThis is a problem with Rob and Neil Gibbons. They drop shit like this into their writing and never do anything with it, and I don't doubt for a minute that they're totally aware that it'll get people talking knowing full well they never intend to pay it off. It comes across as very smug and, in a weird way, insecure, as though a layer of obscurity will enrich their writing. It's their one failing, I think they're absolutely brilliant writers otherwise. It's like a surface level approximation of something David Lynch would do, only with Lynch everything is explicably part of the whole.

I just assumed Allan had named his house after Simon.

Also what dummy at the window?

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 01, 2022, 08:15:50 AMThis is a problem with Rob and Neil Gibbons. They drop shit like this into their writing and never do anything with it, and I don't doubt for a minute that they're totally aware that it'll get people talking knowing full well they never intend to pay it off. It comes across as very smug and, in a weird way, insecure, as though a layer of obscurity will enrich their writing. It's their one failing, I think they're absolutely brilliant writers otherwise. It's like a surface level approximation of something David Lynch would do, only with Lynch everything is explicably part of the whole.

Are you sure this isn't just overthinking about odd little background details which probably weren't intended to mean very much? I just think that's a strange motivation to ascribe to the Gibbons, as if they're a couple of JJ Abramses constantly setting up mysteries which they never intend to provide the answers to, which I don't think is the case at all. The Partridgeverse isn't Twin Peaks and presumably wasn't intended to be endlessly picked over for clues to a grand overrarching metanarrative

I can honestly say I don't think any of those things would affect my enjoyment of Partridge as a whole, it's not like they break the reality of the characters like the IAP DVD commentaries do.

Magnum Valentino

I generally believe that with decent art in any medium there's no such thing as background details that aren't intended to mean very much and that usually, if it's in the frame or said aloud it's there for a reason whether the creator's realised it or not. When you have to pick the way things look and sound (as opposed to not being able to help the sound of a car driving past or that there's a blue sky in your shot of a field), you're making conscious choices. For art as carefully written as Alan Partridge, there's no room for things that don't mean anything, and the Gibbons (who are now directing as well) clearly know this because of how deftly they script the minutiae of neurosis.

I think it's fair to say they actually HAVE attempted something approaching a grand overarching metanarrative on the grounds that the first Partridge book literally attempts to tie everything (apart from Alan's unnamed Day Today wife coming back from the dead) together. The Gibbons' work has really succeeded at making all Alan matter. It all happened, and this is why he's like this now.

If I'm being honest (even though the hate the way it sounds), I sometimes think they're trolling. After a few years they decided to give Simon a surname, and shortly thereafter they gave Alan's house the same name. They have done this on purpose and we don't know why, and from the evidence alone it's apparent they don't know why either. That's the best way I can manage to describe my issue with it. Denton Abbey, the stigmata - it's just 'cool stuff' but it's distracting because, for me (and my wife and brother too), it did leave us going 'why have the creators done that?' (rather than 'why have the characters done that'?). Maybe it's that it brings the creation of the art into focus, I don't know. Like I say it's hard to articulate and I don't mind other people not being bothered by it. I wish I wasn't!

It doesn't affect my enjoyment of it, though, I'm not laughing any less hard because I've had to stop and scowl at the imagined writing session behaviour of three blokes in England.