Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Saddest moments in children's television shows

Started by ros vulgaris, March 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4000Foals

Does Press Gamg count?
The awful suicide in the first series was pretty searing, but the episode where the record shop blows up contains the most painful scene where Spike is talking to a girl who is buried beneath him whilst he tries to excavate the debris.

The look on his face as he removes rubble from over a pipe and realises she is far far deeper down, only amplified through it, is devastating for a kids show.

Toki

Oh yeah, that was upsetting. I never want to hear it referenced again, for the rest of my life.

Senior Baiano

I don't get sad about things in kids shows, I'm not a fucking little baby

Toki

4000Foals

Quote from: Toki on March 22, 2024, 10:45:18 AMOh yeah, that was upsetting. I never want to hear it referenced again, for the rest of my life.
Hat tipped.

Mr_Simnock

that epsiode of rosie and jim where they are forced in to moving a county lines gang drugs using the canals

Senior Baiano

That Postman Pat episode where Mrs Goggins gets sent to prison for fraud because of failings with the Horizon IT system bit of satire ladies and gentlemen

Senior Baiano

Peppa Pig takes the red pill and wakes up in a filthy overcrowded holding pen about to be slaughtered

horse_renoir

Quote from: Senior Baiano on March 22, 2024, 01:16:16 PMThat Postman Pat episode where Mrs Goggins gets sent to prison for fraud because of failings with the Horizon IT system bit of satire ladies and gentlemen

Nah, she was guilty - how else could the Special Delivery Service afford all the wacky drones & helicopters?

horse_renoir

The episode of Bluey ('Onesies') that deals with infertility is a bit of a gut punch.

idunnosomename

Quote from: non capisco on March 20, 2024, 09:54:11 PMD'ya remember The Flumps, eh? What were all that about, dick 'ead?!

For any of you lotus eating lithe young CaBbers who can still get up from their sofas without making a noise like a wounded elk, that's them up there. They were sort of Northern stereotype talking testicles with hats. I have a clear memory of being suffused with melancholy (I was obviously that kind of child, a right wan little milksop) at one episode when all the other Flumps decide to play a trick on Grandad Flump (second from right) by pretending to forget it's his birthday. What a bunch of cunts. "Eeee, do you all know what day it is today?" the doddery old article kept saying to which all the others replied "It's the day we make onion soup, Grandad." He then spends the remainder of the episode getting increasingly upset and pathetic, shuffling about in an "I...I...thought they.....loved me?" manner. I expect at the end they all put him out of his misery. I mean told him they knew it was his birthday all along, not shipped him off to Dignitas but it felt like it was going that way. What stayed with me was the pathos of the poor old bastard, though. It felt like a sneak preview of how life might turn out. What if one day everyone you love just....stops giving a shit?

They only made one series of 13 episodes of The Flumps in 1977 but by god the BBC ragged those into the ground for years afterwards and every time that one came round again I'd find an excuse to do something else. My mum cottoned on and said "You don't like that one where they pretend to forget his birthday, do you?" and I got all angry and defensive and cried. 28 years old I was.
Never understand why the forgotten birthday/surprise party became such a plot trope in episodic childrens shows. Surprise parties are bad enough (in the sense you say you're just having a small gathering for someones birthday but youve invited loads of people from their past without telling them), but how could you possibly even think that pretending you've forgotten being a good idea to heighten the surprise? At the very least, the person is probably going to just say "it's my birthday, you cunt" or at worst, run off and cause a massive worrisome search while they have a completely unnecessary dark night of the soul (a TMNT episode with Michelangelo I recall). Just inconcievable.

Although I suppose in the context of The Flumps its alright because they're just tormenting an elderly relative who no longer serves any practical purpose.

Glebe

Quote from: Senior Baiano on March 22, 2024, 01:16:16 PMThat Postman Pat episode where Mrs Goggins gets sent to prison for fraud because of failings with the Horizon IT system bit of satire ladies and gentlemen

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=98567.0

Kankurette

kalowski

Quote from: 4000Foals on March 22, 2024, 10:41:16 AMDoes Press Gamg count?
The awful suicide in the first series was pretty searing, but the episode where the record shop blows up contains the most painful scene where Spike is talking to a girl who is buried beneath him whilst he tries to excavate the debris.

The look on his face as he removes rubble from over a pipe and realises she is far far deeper down, only amplified through it, is devastating for a kids show.
Fuck me, that was an amazing episode. I'm sad again.

Incy Wincy Mincey

Quote from: Kankurette on March 20, 2024, 10:20:27 PMThe best episode was "Where's Grandfather?" That one had real promise, until they found him.

Proper LOLed at this

Underturd

Catalogue Trousers

Maybe not saddest, but definitely left me tearful: the ghosts, having saved the lighthouse, walking out of it in procession at the end of the first series of Round The Twist.