Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncanny - Series 2

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 11, 2023, 07:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Quote from: Des Wigwam on September 27, 2023, 02:03:15 PMYou've reminded me how annoyed I was at that episode. I think at one point when talking about the cold/hot reading thing that mediums famously do it was suggested that maybe the medium had found out through a friend but the woman confidently says she "told almost no-one".

So ... someone. Ffs.

I think she even sits out the second half of the medium's show and goes to a pub on her own, leaving her friends there. Her friends "promised her" they didn't say anything to the medium so I guess that's that then. Case closed!

Icehaven

Quote from: Operty1 on September 26, 2023, 10:47:49 PMSomeone has made a negative of one of those pictures, and it seems like it's a bad selfie of a child.

https://x.com/MylesGorton/status/1706669316027154574?s=20

Whose child tho?

The couple have two or three kids.

Quote from: markburgle on September 27, 2023, 08:27:55 AMInteresting! Looks like it was taken really close up with flash, which begs the question what child would repeatedly flash themselves in the eyes like that. Could be a burst shot - we need to know how close together those time stamps are.

I just tried to replicate the effect but my phone camera won't do it - it corrects itself and my face just comes out looking jaundiced, not washed out like that.

It probably depends what light you're in, and couldn't the washed out effect have been added after, then the negative filter added to that? Or the picture was just taken with a negative filter in the first place. The child's features are a bit more identifiable in that version so if it is one of their kids it should be fairly obvious.

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone seen Danny Robins' play?

markburgle

Quote from: Icehaven on September 27, 2023, 04:23:11 PMIt probably depends what light you're in, and couldn't the washed out effect have been added after, then the negative filter added to that?

Sure, I was just thinking in terms of a kid taking photos incompetently rather than doing anything on purpose.

New ep out today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001r0v3

Icehaven

Quote from: markburgle on September 27, 2023, 10:56:42 PMSure, I was just thinking in terms of a kid taking photos incompetently rather than doing anything on purpose.

I'm more cynical than you, I'm more of a mind that it was done on purpose but with enough plausible deniability if someone proves it's just one of their kids through a few filters.

Operty1

The pictures are of a kid just messing with a phone and it looking weird. I just can't bring myself to believe that a ghost picked up a mobile phone, unlocked it, went into the camera app, switched the camera to front facing, then snapped a few frames at an odd angle. More likely the mum gave her kid her phone to mess about with and it snapped a few pics that ended up looking a bit weird.

iamcoop

Just listened to that one about those two lads sleeping under a bridge in France when a goat walks across it they get confronted by the devil. Fucking ridiculous.

markburgle

Quote from: Icehaven on September 28, 2023, 12:42:39 PMI'm more cynical than you, I'm more of a mind that it was done on purpose but with enough plausible deniability if someone proves it's just one of their kids through a few filters.

Yeah my cynicism is definitely limited by my desire to be spooked

badaids

The first series shit me right up. This second just right shit.

Ham Bap

Quote from: iamcoop on September 28, 2023, 03:35:10 PMJust listened to that one about those two lads sleeping under a bridge in France when a goat walks across it they get confronted by the devil. Fucking ridiculous.

That's among the worst ones. Half an hour of a smelly goat in the country on a bridge = the Devil.
Just a filler for the last series as he has his podcast, book and book tour, TV show, touring stage play, Radio 4 Witch Farm dramatisation and and...

I know the man has a living to make but the content is starting to stretch a bit too thin.
I'll still listen though :/

*Insert video of wrestling fan shouting 'It's still real to me damn it'.*

iamcoop

Quote from: Ham Bap on September 28, 2023, 07:02:22 PMThat's among the worst ones. Half an hour of a smelly goat in the country on a bridge = the Devil.
Just a filler for the last series as he has his podcast, book and book tour, TV show, touring stage play, Radio 4 Witch Farm dramatisation and and...

I know the man has a living to make but the content is starting to stretch a bit too thin.
I'll still listen though :/

*Insert video of wrestling fan shouting 'It's still real to me damn it'.*

The thing is, I don't believe in supernatural so it's not like I'm begging for the show to feature a case that changes my mind.

I just want the occasional story where I think "Wow, that's actually fucking creepy, and even though I can rationalise it the subject seems emotionally engaged and articulate so I'm scared for the fact that they obviously went through something that terrified them, despite the fact it clearly wasn't the result of a ghost being present"

Now it's just someone saying "And when I got home, the coat was on the floor" and Danny going "Jesus bloody hell Jessica" in a desperate attempt to recreate the "Bloody hell Ken" meme thing.

Anyway I'm being harsh, I listen to them but come on man. Less is more.

Ham Bap

The Uncanny TV series started on BBC2 last night, new cases. I think it's 3 one hour episodes.

I thought it was really good. Really well made, and I enjoyed it. I've been getting a bit bored of the podcast but this was IMO great.
They made the transition to TV work really well.

Anyone else see it?

Alberon

Was there still the same bonehead credulism or was it more balanced?

iamcoop

It's got pretty shit reviews so far.

Pretty much the same criticism as the second series of the radio version, Danny way too wide eyed and credulous, not enough rigorous questioning of evidence etc.

If there was nowt else on I'd probably give it a watch but at least with the radio version I can lazily listen whilst I'm making dinner.

holyzombiejesus

I thought it was quite disappointing although I'm not sure why they think it'd make good TV in the first place. It's not like Most Haunted where you get supposedly spooky things happening in front of your eyes, and the hour run time means far too much padding, like interviewing a 'mould expert'. Also, you can immerse yourself in the radio series far more as you don't have to look at idiotic faces and Danny's stupid jarring clothes and daft edits.

Icehaven

Yeah the TV show was a bit of a let down, particularly as the half an hour podcasts are starting to have too much padding so an hour is taking the mickey. Sort of wish Richard Maclean Smith's Unexplained podcast had got a TV show instead, the cases would have been equally bobbins but the music and visuals (probably anyway) would have been lovely and atmospheric and RMS is more pleasingly gothic and eldritch compared to Robbin's Scooby Doo-ishness. Well his voice is anyway.

jimboslice

I didn't enjoy the TV series anywhere near as much as the podcast, but I've spoken to a few people who absolutely lapped it up.

Quote from: Icehaven on October 18, 2023, 10:15:17 AMYeah the TV show was a bit of a let down, particularly as the half an hour podcasts are starting to have too much padding so an hour is taking the mickey. Sort of wish Richard Maclean Smith's Unexplained podcast had got a TV show instead, the cases would have been equally bobbins but the music and visuals (probably anyway) would have been lovely and atmospheric and RMS is more pleasingly gothic and eldritch compared to Robbin's Scooby Doo-ishness. Well his voice is anyway.

Can you recommend a few particular Richard Maclean Smith's Unexplained please? There are nearly 300 of the bastards.

Icehaven

Quote from: jimboslice on October 18, 2023, 11:37:45 AMCan you recommend a few particular Richard Maclean Smith's Unexplained please? There are nearly 300 of the bastards.

The earlier ones are better so start there, but I'll try and have a scan back through them later and pick out some I particularly liked.

As someone who is ghost-agnostic (ie. I want to believe in a spiritual imprint left on the physical world, but science keeps dragging me back), I just can't chime with any ghost investigation programmes. They never definitely prove anything, and always end as anecdotal proof that one exists, based on what a few people claim happened.

Until modern videography technology can capture spectral beings, then what's the point?

I'd never heard of the podcast but gave the TV show a go.

Why didn't they allocate more time to the "twist" that the house allegedly had a door number change at some point, which conveniently solved the problem of the woman who was supposedly the ghost having lived and died 30 houses up/down the road? I've never heard of local authorities just changing door numbers before. Surely they just leave existing numbers as they are and either add extra numbers at the end for new houses, or just create a new street name and begin from 1?

cromby

Got this on now, got to be one of the worst title sequences I've ever seen on a prime-ish time BBC show. Looks like something made by a bunch of media students on After Effects in 2008.

cromby

The infrasound experiment in tonight's episode was a bit daft too, tell a load of students an RAF hangar is haunted... obviously they're going to walk round going "Ooh, yeah, defo feel a chill".

Des Wigwam

Same with showing pics of Miss Howard to the ones who said they'd seen her - one of the mother and one of the daughter - "ooh yea that looks like the woman" "ooh no this one looks more like the one I saw" "bloody hell women whose names I don't remember [sits back looking worried]" - they were mother and daughter so share a resemblance anyway in the grainy hundred year old copies of photos. And that's without factoring in that every photo from before 1930 looks scary and everyone within their social class looks identical.

I don't know why that bugged me so much - this is just a spin on a series telling ghost stories. They offered up The Enfield poltergeist as documentary evidence ffs.

I think even the sceptic has given up now - he seems to be stifling a smirk when throughout those segments.

Natnar

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 27, 2023, 02:10:08 PMI love ghosts and all this rubbish but I listened to the one where he's getting called by Harry and then later on he sees a scary man, because everyone on Twitter was saying it was 'chilling', but it wasn't chilling. By the end even the sceptic started going 'well there is no possible explanation for how he could have seen a scary man'. Bollocks! I did enjoy it though and will listen to more. And I might go and see his play as well.
I've just listened to that episode and I think it was just someone he knew or had pissed off messing with him in regards to the phonecalls and maybe he hallucinated Harry because the phonecalls were on his mind.

Beagle 2

Well, the Christmas special is out with Daisy May Cooper. Absolutely ridiculous! I do like this show a lot, but the fun for me is always in the witness, their story and how much they believe about what they experienced - then trying to work out how they could have come to be so convinced. Plus a few spooky coincidences.

Less fun when it's wacky Daisy with a load of bollocks she's spouting for some reason.

Ham Bap

Its turned into an episode of Four in a Bed.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 17, 2023, 07:10:27 PMWell, the Christmas special is out with Daisy May Cooper. Absolutely ridiculous! I do like this show a lot, but the fun for me is always in the witness, their story and how much they believe about what they experienced - then trying to work out how they could have come to be so convinced. Plus a few spooky coincidences.

Less fun when it's wacky Daisy with a load of bollocks she's spouting for some reason.

I liked that her dad was there. Think I might do a This Country rewatch over Chrimbo.

"Martin Mucklowe was peeping in the 60s, peeping in the 70s..."

Icehaven

Joe does a lovely Uncanny pisstake in Adam Buxton's Christmas podcast (it's from about 45 mins in if you don't want to listen to the whole thing). Even the theme tune had me in bits.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Icehaven on December 29, 2023, 01:18:41 PMJoe does a lovely Uncanny pisstake in Adam Buxton's Christmas podcast (it's from about 45 mins in if you don't want to listen to the whole thing). Even the theme tune had me in bits.

That was amazing, yes. Joe was on excellent form throughout.

Icehaven

Update episode went up last week, and regarding this;

Quote from: Icehaven on September 26, 2023, 01:01:09 PMAnyone looked at the photos of the "ghost" from The Ghost That Followed Us Home? They remind me of Stig of the Dump for some reason. Also the woman says they were taken when  everyone was out of the house, so presuming that includes her that means she went out and didn't take her phone with her? Not completely unbelievable I guess but unlikely these days. 

Quote from: Operty1 on September 26, 2023, 10:47:49 PMSomeone has made a negative of one of those pictures, and it seems like it's a bad selfie of a child.

https://x.com/MylesGorton/status/1706669316027154574?s=20

Whose child tho?

Turns out that's exactly what they are, someone else flipped them and did something else to them and it's also apparent now that they were taken in a car, so Danny showed them to the woman and she's said it looks like one of her kids used her phone to take a selfie on the way to school (which explains why it was taken when the house was empty), then applied a filter.

I'd have to listen to it again but I'm sure in the original account she was adamant she'd left her phone at home, but obviously not.