Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NFL 2023

Started by DrGreggles, September 06, 2023, 05:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Season starts tomorrow night, so might as well make a thread.

My prediictons

DIVISIONAL WINNERS
AFC NORTH Bengals
AFC SOUTH Jaguars
AFC EAST Jets (yeah, I went there)
AFC WEST Chiefs
NFC NORTH Lions
NFC SOUTH Saints
NFC EAST Eagles
NFC WEST 49ers

Rookie of the Year Jalen Carter
Flop of the Year Bryce Young
MVP Jalen Hurts
Superbowl champs Eagles

Old Thrashbarg

I think unless Bryce Young is another Johnny Football it'll be hard to call him a flop, no matter how he performs. In a shit offence with no weapons anything other than being one of the bottom few QBs in the league would be amazing.

DrGreggles

He might get a pass from being in a limited team, but the Panthers' D is decent, so a poor QB could be the difference in a weak division.
Not saying he has to be Dan Marino, but he needs to show glimpses of something - like Trevor Lawrence did (in a worse team with an awful coach).

monkfromhavana

The Lions are my team, but not watched NFL for a couple of seasons. Are they not shit anymore then?

DrGreggles

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 07, 2023, 07:50:51 AMThe Lions are my team, but not watched NFL for a couple of seasons. Are they not shit anymore then?

They haven't been complete shit for a while, but this is probably the best they've been in 30 years*.
A few pundits even think they could turn over a Kelce and Jones-less KC tonight.

*admittedly not a high bar

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 07, 2023, 08:29:32 AMThey haven't been complete shit for a while, but this is probably the best they've been in 30 years*.
A few pundits even think they could turn over a Kelce and Jones-less KC tonight.

*admittedly not a high bar

I guess it's more a reflection of how bad the other three in the division are. I've got quiet hopes for Jordan Love and the WR set at the Packers but could be a rum year.

DrGreggles

Yeah, it isn't the strongest division, but the Bears will improve and the Vikings will always be the Vikings.
Not as bad as the NFC South though.

Old Thrashbarg

Amazing win for the Jets, but Rodgers' season being over before it's even started is a bit gutting. Was very much looking forward to watching them this year. Hopefully Wilson or whoever can do enough to let their playmakers on both sides of the ball make a difference.

monkfromhavana

I love the half of the Dolphins vs. Chargers game that I watched before having to turn in. Games where teams are very strong in running plays are often a bit boring.

just had a look at the starting quarterbacks and I recognise about 5 of them. Seems their been a bit of a generational change.

pierre boo-lez

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 12, 2023, 04:30:00 AMAmazing win for the Jets, but Rodgers' season being over before it's even started is a bit gutting. Was very much looking forward to watching them this year. Hopefully Wilson or whoever can do enough to let their playmakers on both sides of the ball make a difference.

To Jets fans this was no surprise. We've known for years that Joe Namath made a deal with the devil before Super Bowl III and the Jets QB position is cursed while he's still alive.

This is just another day supporting the Jets. Ignore the slightly maniacal laughter, that's just a coping mechanism.

DrGreggles

Quote from: pierre boo-lez on September 12, 2023, 09:41:28 AMTo Jets fans this was no surprise. We've known for years that Joe Namath made a deal with the devil before Super Bowl III and the Jets QB position is cursed while he's still alive.

"The Fixed Bowl"...

DrGreggles

Rodgers confirmed as out for the season.
Yes he's a nob off the field but, as an NFL fan, I want to watch the best players out there - and I genuinely wanted to see how good the Jets coud be this year.
Hope it doesn't finish him for good, and it isn't his throwing arm affected, so fingers crossed that he'll be back.
The celebrating over this from some is pretty tasteless TBH, especially from Packers fans - until it dawns on them that it's cost them a 1st round draft pick...

monkfromhavana

Don't know much about any NFL player outside of the game (besides them being on all the adverts during games), so how is Rodgers a knob?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 12, 2023, 09:26:17 PMDon't know much about any NFL player outside of the game (besides them being on all the adverts during games), so how is Rodgers a knob?

Covid denier/antivaxxer, tax whiner, something dodgy with a charity he was involved with (may have been only helping white kids, I forget) also probably Trumpist don't remember all of it.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 12, 2023, 09:52:14 PMCovid denier/antivaxxer, tax whiner, something dodgy with a charity he was involved with (may have been only helping white kids, I forget) also probably Trumpist don't remember all of it.

I might be misremembering, but I don't think he was ever a Covid denier. And his antivax stance wasn't out of fear government mind control; he's just a herbal remedy/meditation nut, with a large pinch of being a contrarian who doesn't want to be forced into anything.

Definitely a knob still, but not really a spiteful one.

Dex Sawash

I think I did a Favre/Rodgers knobhead mashup.

monkfromhavana

I've always thought that American Football was the most right-wing of all the sports over there, with Baseball being your old, out-of-touch-liberal dad and basketball being all young.

DrGreggles

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 13, 2023, 07:55:01 AMI've always thought that American Football was the most right-wing of all the sports over there, with Baseball being your old, out-of-touch-liberal dad and basketball being all young.

What does that make ice hockey?

dr beat

dontpaintyourteeth

Brian Freeze

I saw some highlights from the weekend matches for the first time in ages (shit fan) and noticed Tyreek Hills lid come off relatively easy after he was tackled.

I know they are massive hard fast superathletes so what looks innocuous would be a car crash for the normal human but isnt that why you dont want helmets to come off easily?

Is this a common thing of them popping off after tackles?

monkfromhavana

Dex Sawash

Helmets come off all the time in university and pro games. Seems to be a bit more common on players with massive amounts of hair (which probably makes helmet fitting difficult) but short hair fellers lose their lids too.

monkfromhavana

I see the Lions are doing well, which is fantastic. Chargers looked good in the came I watched last night, although the Raiders did seem to start with a 13-yo quarterback who was already married but had not yet acquired the skills of holding things.

A question:

When a team kicks off, the other team say "fair catch" and the play stops, why do the kicking teams players continue to run up the pitch into the end zone? Why not save a bit of energy?

Old Thrashbarg

Most of the players involved in the chase aren't going to be playing a huge amount for the rest of the game. They're largely backups for other positions. So it's a nice excuse for them to stretch their legs.

Gulftastic

Isn't it the case that if the catcher fucks up his 'fair catch' then the ball is anybody's?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 02, 2023, 12:00:41 PMIsn't it the case that if the catcher fucks up his 'fair catch' then the ball is anybody's?

Yes, as soon as he touches it, so if he drops it or it lands on his foot it's whoever recovers it's possession.

DrGreggles

Anyway, seems like the Chiefs now get the soft decisions that the Pats used to enjoy.
Benefit of having the NFL's poster boy at QB I suppose.

Oh, and FAO: all NFL coverage
WE DON'T CARE IF TAYLOR SWIFT IS THERE!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 02, 2023, 12:00:41 PMIsn't it the case that if the catcher fucks up his 'fair catch' then the ball is anybody's?

Ah great, thanks.

After a gap of watching for a few years, it's good to see that teams are more likely to give it a go on 4th downs. Even a few years back, it was "4 seconds on the clock in the 4th, needing a touchdown to win, on the 50 yard line, what shall we do boss? Punt!"

Also, never really sure if you've got a offensive co-ordinator who picks the plays, and a defensive co-ordinator who picks the plays, why you even need a head coach.