Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grange Hill

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 18, 2024, 06:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Danny Kendall's head was really big for his body.  Did he grow long hair so folk didn't go round slapping his forehead for a lark!?

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder how many other TV programmes have the same names as tube stations.

Imagine getting off the tube at Grange Hill and then going home to watch Grange Hill.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 23, 2024, 07:35:10 PMDanny Kendall's head was really big for his body.  Did he grow long hair so folk didn't go round slapping his forehead for a lark!?

I thought he had some form of growth disorder and was actually 37

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 23, 2024, 07:39:18 PMI wonder how many other TV programmes have the same names as tube stations.

Angel

Gurke and Hare

I've done a non-exhaustive search, and:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddington_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edwardian_Country_House was renamed Manor House in the US.

There are loads that are film names and book names. And loads that are TV shows waiting to be made.

mippy

Does Babes In The [St Johns] Wood count?

Norton Canes

JesusAndYourBush

Fambo Number Mive

Watching the episode where the first years have a fad of wearing fruit badges. I wonder if any children ever did this in real life. Probably not.

Gurke and Hare

There's bloody loads of programmes that have names a bit like  tube station names, but that wasn't the question!

kalowski

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 24, 2024, 07:49:18 PMThere's bloody loads of programmes that have names a bit like  tube station names, but that wasn't the question!
Yes! Waterloo Road is a bit like Liverpool Street, for example.

Gurke and Hare

Obel

I used to love Grange Hill when I was a kid. Heavily biased though because my brother and sister were in it. This was between series 13 and 21 so I don't remember the storylines too well anymore, but I do remember one plot where my sisters character was being bullied because it came out that her mum got AIDS. Kids were writing AIDS on her locker, which is pretty hardcore. Was a surprisingly controversial show for the time it seems.

I used to go through the scripts with my sister, she'd be her character and I would be everybody else. I remember being struck by how long it actually took before I would see the lines we'd rehearse on TV.

Fambo Number Mive

That's so cool that your brother and sister were in Grange Hill. Did they enjoy being in Grange Hill? Do they have any Grange Hill related stories they would be happy for you to share?

So your sister played Lucy Mitchell? It looks like she was in Eastenders as well.

I mean this post sincerely by the way, Grange Hill is one of my favourite television shows with really well thought out characters. Although it got really crap around series 30.

Obel

Christ did you just remember her character or did you google the storyline? Haha.  I actually don't remember her being in Eastenders but it's possible. My brother certainly popped up in Eastenders for a few episode storyline where his character robbed the mini mart and hid out in Gus's flat. He appeared in some stuff like The Bill and Casualty, plus a couple of sitcoms.

Whether they enjoyed it or not is hard to answer. My mum essentially forced them into acting, so I think they have very mixed feelings about it. My sister in particular I don't really speak to about her acting career, I think she feels a lot of bitterness about it overall but at the time I definitely remember her enjoying it. It was very disruptive to their school lives though, I remember. She tried to get me into the acting thing as well when I was a kid but I was far too shy. I was in the background of an advert though, hah.

I don't have any Grange Hill specific related stories from them off the top of my head I'm afraid, apart from occasionally posting embarrassing GH promotional photos of my brother in the family chat to laugh about his hair at the time, I haven't spoken to them about it in years.

Fambo Number Mive

Not that I'm here to promote ITVx, but you should be able to watch all the episodes your siblings were in there. Not sure if you need premium though.

Fambo Number Mive

I googled the storyline, sadly I didn't remember her character as I haven't watched past series 13 as much. Then had a look on imdb.

kalowski

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 26, 2024, 10:00:49 AMNot that I'm here to promote ITVx, but you should be able to watch all the episodes your siblings were in there. Not sure if you need premium though.

Can someone explain why a BBC show is on ItvX?

thr0b

Quote from: kalowski on January 26, 2024, 08:12:01 PMCan someone explain why a BBC show is on ItvX?

Companies can pay other companies money to use their stuff.

kalowski

Quote from: thr0b on January 26, 2024, 08:24:55 PMCompanies can pay other companies money to use their stuff.
It's not right! An ITV Grange Hill would have been shit.

Rev+

In my poor understanding, ITV and BBC both owned Britbox, which ITVx is eventually replacing.  BBC have flogged their stake in it to ITV, which means that ITV are free to brand the channel as they like, but the licences for the various shows and whatnot still stand.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: kalowski on January 26, 2024, 08:26:21 PMIt's not right! An ITV Grange Hill would have been shit.

And Geordie

kalowski

kalowski

A Grampian Gonch Gardener

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: kalowski on January 26, 2024, 08:42:56 PMAn ITV Pogo Patterson

Quote from: kalowski on January 26, 2024, 08:44:28 PMA Grampian Gonch Gardener

Why were the entrepreneur characters always ginger?

Sebastian Cobb

Is Byker Grove on this ITVX as well? I wouldn't mind seeing the bonkers meta-ending at the very least.

thr0b

Grassygnome

What social issue didn't they cover in Grange Hill?