Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,795
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Youtubers/podcasters you got fed up of

Started by Memorex MP3, February 26, 2024, 06:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

Had s prriod of sbout six nonths where I was into podcasts nd then stopped listening to them when swimming so they didn't really fit into my life, but The Flop House was one of them back then as my job involves watching a lot of film trailers and it was nice to validate my preconceptions of something looking truly dogshit. Always seemed a bit like it would stop after a while as the gang moved on to bigger things so it's nice it's still carrying on a bit, s'pose?

A lot of the YouTubers I once watched but now don't were Beautubers, which I suppose has a built-in shelf life when they go from being a regular person telling you candidly about things they like to being sponsored to fuck and/or introducing 'lifestyle' content I don't care about, or trends like mukbangs that don't do it for me. That and ultimately it's based around consumerism and I'm just not buying stuff at the rate I used to and don't need to know about every new thing. There was one person, ThriftThick, I used to watch who was an art student in Minnesota with dorky glasses and fluffy cats who for some reason Reddit decided they hated even though she just seemed like a lovely auntie.

Friend of mine is into Hot Ones and I feel like once you've seen one you've seen them all, same with the 'X reacts to...' videos.

I find I warm to Ashens more as time goes on, the videos where he reviews old toy lines are really interesting to me as someone who would have been told "they're for boys" and not got to play with them at the time. The reviews of other things are just on the right side of sneery for me - I've seen others try and ape his schtick and fail and it's like being trapped at a house party with someone wearing a "Fluent in Sarcasm" t-shirt

Jockice

Quote from: imitationleather on February 26, 2024, 07:24:21 PMAmericans doing reaction videos where they pretend to enjoy stuff like Father Ted for the benefit of their almost 100% British audience will never get old, though.

For some reason that I can't even explain to myself, I really like these. I must have seen different Americans reacting to every episode of The Inbetweeners about half a dozen times.

BlodwynPig

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Jockice on February 27, 2024, 07:44:11 AMFor some reason that I can't even explain to myself, I really like these. I must have seen different Americans reacting to every episode of The Inbetweeners about half a dozen times.

There's good ones and bad ones. Sesskasays watching Fleabag and getting very into it is good, some Onlyfans model reacting to another YouTube video about why the Brits were the best in WW2 is absolute dogshit for the eyes

Utter Shit

With most of the shows I've stopped listening to, the issue is more that they've run out of guests I'm interested in. RHLSTP is the most obvious example - I still enjoy it when I listen, but the need for new guests means the well has run dry and he's often getting people on that I'm either not interested in, haven't heard of or don't like.

Definitely agree that the Football Ramble has suffered from oversaturation - if you condensed all the best stuff into two weekly episodes I think it would still be great, but the daily episodes are not essential, so I end up listening to almost none of them. To be honest I think I feel that with football podcasts in general - for a long time Ramble/Football Weekly/Athletic was a manageable amount of weekly football discussion, with Quickly Kevin serving a different niche...but that oversaturation has killed my enjoyment in any of them really.

Having said that, I think a big part of my enjoyment of the old Rambles was their nostalgia for old football, and over the years they've exhausted every avenue, every story. So I suppose to an extent they've slightly changed focus through necessity, and I'm just slightly less interested in the modern format.

Friends With Friends lost my interest the moment they stopped having guests on. Nothing against the two presenters, who are fine, but the joy of the show was that the weekly guest would come with such passion for the episode they've picked, their favourite bits, their theories about the show etc...understandably you can't replicate that energy with just the two people who are on every episode.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: PaulTMA on February 26, 2024, 10:06:22 PMAll Killa No Filla, cos they actively boast about how more down to earth they are than other podcasters for recording on a phone in an echoey kitchen, which has the effect of sounding like a barely audible conversation held in a Victorian Lavatory

It's now filmed and I don't think has sounded like that for a while but it did seem to be a badge of honour. I think the two of them do a lot of really good work outside of this and their standup, however -

Quote from: Steve Faeces on February 26, 2024, 09:52:00 PMAll Killa No Filla
Started to find Rachel's relentlessly bleak worldview a bit tiresome to be honest.

and
Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 26, 2024, 07:22:15 PMAll Killa No Filla
One day,I was listening to an episode and realised they were both boring. Didn't like their banter, and they'd already gone through the interesting serial killers by that point.

Not quite boring but KPM - although GBOL and by her own admission tries too hard to be inclusive and non-discriminatory - is giving off some Welsh nash and landowner vibes. Or maybe it's the mood I was in listening to the last however many eps. I hope so.

Steve Faeces

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 27, 2024, 07:12:28 AM10k Posts is a much better and more relevant show, problem with Hussein is he's quite nervous as a host and he says 'like' every three seconds.  Phoebe's also funnier than Milo.  Gonna say it.

10k posts has replaced TF for me. I like the pace and vibe of it a lot and both hosts really funny. There's a bit more warmth and generosity (of spirit and nobody monopolising the conversation) with 10k posts than comparable left leaning culture podcasts.

buzby

Quote from: TheAssassin on February 26, 2024, 11:22:52 PMI was looking up canned meat you can't buy anymore (such as whole chickens) information, and a video of his showed up.  Canned ox tongue, a whole tongue curled into a can. It was from the 1970's, but I was curious as to the manufacturer, Interfoods if I remember correctly.  It had a "factory" in Liverpool near the city centre.  No idea when they went out of business, but the facility is now a budget local furniture store.
It was Interglen Ltd of 48 Jamaica St in Liverpool (which is now occupied by Childwall Table & Chair Hire). Interglen Ltd was only incorporated in November 1985, so the tin can't have been from 1968 as the person who sent it in said. One obvious pointer to this is that it had the weight on the label in both pounds and kilos (with Kilos first), which generally only became a thing on tinned goods after we joined the EEC. You never see the base of the tin which is where the date stamp would be either.

It looks like Interglen got bought out by Francis Duffy and Arthur Cheetham of D.C.D. Co. Ltd, a canned meat and fish supplier from Manchester in August 1991. The Liverpool operation was wound up during 1993 and the premises and machinery put up for sale (this is mentioned in their 1994 accounts) and eventually sold by the time their 1998 accounts were published.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 27, 2024, 07:12:28 AM10k Posts is a much better and more relevant show, problem with Hussein is he's quite nervous as a host and he says 'like' every three seconds.  Phoebe's also funnier than Milo.  Gonna say it.
I like HK's manner, he comes off well. Usually listen to 10k if the guest looks interesting.

Milo comes off as a fairly well off person who is only on "the left" because he cant afford a deposit on a house inside the M25. Cant stand the cunt

Steve Faeces

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 27, 2024, 11:53:05 AMMilo comes off as a fairly well off person who is only on "the left" because he cant afford a deposit on a house inside the M25. Cant stand the cunt

This is why I find Britainology off-putting because of the obvious class position of Milo (he went to Oxford as well) alongside arch looks at what is coded/perceived as low class/low status subjects.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: neveragain on February 26, 2024, 11:26:13 PMThe Always Sunny podcast. Yes, they got sick of it first but I've a feeling that even if it was still going I would have stopped bothering with it. Too much celeb stuff, not enough episode reminiscence.

Surprised they only last another eight episodes after I sacked them off for spending almost a whole episode wanking on about Charlie's terrible new film, which definitely wasn't a rip-off of Being There.

Still listening to The Flop House. At this point it's quite cosy and friendly, still occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, but having to record cross-continent doesn't seem to have been a major problem, especially since they manage to get together relatively frequently. And they've also manage to produce a new episode every week without fail for the last four years, which is impressive.

Brundle-Fly

The problem I have with one particular podcast is that there is too much repetition and going over old ground covered in previous episodes. That's acceptable if there have been many eps but not so, if there has only been about twenty. Also, regular hosts dynamic is rather like a marriage, eventually you run out of fresh anecdotes to tell over dinner. Maybe most of these shows should be finite, like Marshall Cavendish partworks.

neveragain

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 27, 2024, 12:10:03 PMSurprised they only last another eight episodes after I sacked them off for spending almost a whole episode wanking on about Charlie's terrible new film, which definitely wasn't a rip-off of Being There.

Yeah. I forgave them that at the time, out of the goodwill they'd built up, but thinking back it's really not what you want from a podcast about a particular show. You don't want chat about everything else the team are up to. (Or a whole episode advertising it.) Particularly in such an up-their-own-arse way.

For full disclosure, I did see the live show at the Albert Hall and it was a lot of fun.

dontpaintyourteeth

I don't really get fed up with podcasts so much as I just fail to keep up with them. I try and jump back in and it's all different in-jokes and stuff like that so I give up.

Having said that... I know what people mean re: the It's Always Sunny pod. They're a bit too Hollywood, aren't they? I love them more than is reasonable, but they're definitely up their own arseholes a bit. Especially Howerton.

AllisonSays

Quote from: convulsivespace on February 26, 2024, 08:29:50 PMChapo Trap House has passed the tipping point where I just can't get out of my head the fact that they each make six figures for the laziest imaginable content. For a long time even before Matt's stroke it was palpable that they were just seeing how long they can keep it going before people stop subscribing. (Apparently a long time!)

True Anon put in slightly more effort but clearly struggle to come up with worthy episode ideas from week to week. They'd be better served by dropping increasingly tenuous conspiracy woo-woo and just leaning into the more gossipy side of things.

I think in general I'm getting more fed up with the podcasting model where people make huge amounts of money and are gifted this amazing opportunity to pursue creative ventures and at the end of the day can't be bothered to do much more than show up for 1-2 hours per week to chat with their friends (and maybe summarize a book or Wikipedia article they read)

I would love to find a podcast that captures the original ethos of some of these shows but as a matter of principle swears off having a patreon or advertising.

I agree with both your specific and your general points. I think turning it into a job kills the magic because what makes it fun is the external life that's brought to it from the lives of the speakers ... like Liz and Brace as people working in fashion and (I guess?) brewing/floristry are much more interesting to me than them both being fulltime psuedo-journalists. That lefty podcast about lawyers ... I can't remember the name ... was a lot of fun because they were all still lawyers.

Sebastian Cobb

Chapo general episodes are wank but the teardown of shit right-wing films and books are still great when they happen.

mjwilson

Used to listen to Doug Loves Movies religiously (I even went to London to hear a recording) but once he stopped playing the original Leonard Maltin game I lost interest almost immediately.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 27, 2024, 10:37:42 PMChapo general episodes are wank but the teardown of shit right-wing films and books are still great when they happen.
Perhaps not coincidentally the only stuff Felix is remotely arsed about

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: mjwilson on February 28, 2024, 06:05:39 PMUsed to listen to Doug Loves Movies religiously (I even went to London to hear a recording) but once he stopped playing the original Leonard Maltin game I lost interest almost immediately.
He stopped playing that? I haven't listened to an episode in at least 7 years, though, so god knows. I got bored of that when he took it on tour and the guests were whatever shitty road comics he could find wherever he was that night. The drunk Chris Evans episodes were fun, though.

When I had a 1st gen iPod, before iTunes even had a podcast section, I'd listen to a few things for the novelty of it, but would get bored eventually, or they'd stop making episodes because there wasn't any money in it. I discovered a show called "Keith And The Girl", at that time around episode 40, and enjoyed it for a year or so before I had the slowly dawning recognition that it wasn't particularly funny or clever, and Keith was kind of obnoxious.

Although I looked a few years ago so it's not a complete surprise, I checked again today and it's at episode 3784! They're still knocking out an hour a (week)day and have been for the best part of 20 years. Good on 'em, I suppose, and I am at least a little interested in what it's turned into, but not enough to subscribe again.

Catalogue Trousers

HBomberGuy. I still watch his stuff, but dear me in one respect he's just like one of his targets, that Rowling woman. His videos become more and more bloated, less and less focussed, and ever more self-satisfied.

He makes some good points, but I miss his earlier, shorter, sharper stuff.

mjwilson

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 28, 2024, 06:53:00 PMHe stopped playing that?

His Leonard Maltin app stopped working or stopped being updated or something. So he invented some other game but it wasn't as fun.

It's years since I've listened though, for all I know all the issues have been fixed and he's playing it again.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on February 28, 2024, 06:25:32 PMPerhaps not coincidentally the only stuff Felix is remotely arsed about
Yeah Will as the straight man really needs -an invested- Felix or Matt or even his GF to bounce off. Otherwise I much prefer the Trillbillies now

mjwilson

Quote from: mjwilson on February 28, 2024, 07:58:42 PMIt's years since I've listened though, for all I know all the issues have been fixed and he's playing it again.

Reddit suggest otherwise.

Mr Trumpet

I'm starting to think The Nostalgia Critic might not be very good at film reviews

chip

I used to mainline The Dollop but they struggle to make lesser-known figures from US folk history that entertaining anymore. Gareth is funny and amiable, but Dave is just a legit psycho nowadays.

hamfist

I still enjoy TF. It is formulaic but I enjoy that comfort. I like Milo's Starmer. I find Britainology fascinating because it often covers topics I also understood as a foreigner, so I like to get the background and context as well as enjoy another person witnessing these phenomena as an outsider. I gave up on KJB. Love Blindboyboatclub and that's incredibly formulaic too but once again, it's comforting because of that.

Kankurette

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 29, 2024, 08:33:18 AMI'm starting to think The Nostalgia Critic might not be very good at film reviews
Someone needs to tell him that screaming incessantly does not = funny.