Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hot notables in YOUR area

Started by bgmnts, March 08, 2024, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://tjukanovt.github.io/notable-people

Thought this was a cool little map of the most notable people of each nation/region/town, sourced from a scientific data article (that collected data from Wikipedia and Wikidata). Unsure if it's the nature of the source, but somehow Adam Smith is the most notable person in Britain.

Who's the most famous people from your area? Mine is sadly Danny Gabbidon but I feel Arthur Machen is close enough for me to claim him.

Norton Canes

It's got Leonora Carrington for us and she was actually born thirty miles away in Chorley, so... 

Alberon

Got Anne Beauchamp, the 16th Countess of Warwick

Whoorrrr! Amiright?!?

Also, Kate Winslet and the currently missing Princess of Wales.

EDIT: I note that the website doesn't include Ricky Gervais who was born here. Good.

bgmnts

Quote from: Alberon on March 08, 2024, 11:52:11 AMGot Anne Beauchamp, the 16th Countess of Warwick

The dirty teatowel draped over the taco shell resting on her ear is an interesting fashion choice.

Icehaven

Closest to where I'm from is an actor called A. Bromley Davenport, but he was actually born a few miles from where I grew up, and has been dead since 1946. He was in 77 films and I've never seen or heard of any of them except Jamaica Inn (1939).

lauraxsynthesis

The one per "geographical location" thing doesn't seem to be working in Greenwich which has Elizabeth I, Vanessa Redgrave and Arthur Locker who I've never heard of. I find it hard to believe there's no one more notable than Steve Harley who's Deptford-born, but I can't think of anyone else at the moment. No one at all here in New Cross, which can't be right but I can't be arsed to fish out my local history book. I hadn't known Ben Elton was from Catford yay. I do love nerding over maps.

They need to sort out Kae Tempest's deadname.

Mr Trumpet

Yeah it's Ben Elton here in Catford. My home town has Henry III which is fair enough I suppose.

Obviously I thought this was going to be about those ads that say HOT POLISH GRANNIES WANT TO MEET YOU IN [town in the next county]. Or is it just me that gets those?

baptist

JesusAndYourBush

I don't get any maps, I get an image of the sun surrounded by purple girders. Inside of a dyson sphere??

studpuppet

Need more data - is it people who were born there? Or people associated with, or lived there?

If it's the latter, it means the Potters Bar area had a choice of:
- Shane 'voice of Scott Tracey and UFO' Rimmer
- Acker Bilk
- Lee from Peters & Lee

While Cheshunt could have had:
- Cliff Richard
- Colin 'Lotus' Chapman
- Rowland 'Postage Stamp' Hill
- Richard 'Third Lord Protector that no one remembers' Cromwell

If it's the former, Cheshunt could have chosen Peters from Peters & Lee or Declan McKenna, and Potters Bar had Vogue from Gladiators.

non capisco

Penge appears to have a grand total of NO NOTABLE CUNT.

Where I grew up in Kent has 'Arthur Wellard' which I'm choosing to believe is the full name of the dog from Eastenders.

bgmnts

Quote from: studpuppet on March 08, 2024, 12:58:15 PMNeed more data - is it people who were born there? Or people associated with, or lived there?

It's done by birthplace.

ros vulgaris

It thinks someone who played 20 games for Stoke in the 1920s is more famous than Jordan Henderson or Jill Scott.

dontpaintyourteeth

smug bloke from franz ferdinand

Jerzy Bondov

This led me to find out someone from my year at school went on to be an actual professional footballer despite my cynicism that any of the roughly 500 boys in my year who wanted to be actual professional footballers would ever manage it.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't seem to be able to zoom in. Do I need a mouse?

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 08, 2024, 01:43:48 PMI don't seem to be able to zoom in. Do I need a mouse?

I used it on my phone do I'm unsure, but it does seem to be a little fussy at scrolling and zooming.

Poobum

Rebecca Adlington. No Tom Scott though who I'd say is a bit more notable. Lord Byron is buried nearby but born in that there London apparently.

Have you got a GIANT FUCKING GODBER???

NO I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE

QDRPHNC

Glenn Gould used to live in my neighbourhood and he's not on the map so make of that what you will.

Psybro

Then - Rupert Grint
Now - Michael Palin

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 08, 2024, 12:42:31 PMI don't get any maps, I get an image of the sun surrounded by purple girders. Inside of a dyson sphere??

And now I'm on my desktop the 'sun' finally coloured in and became the Earth in space, but I can't zoom in or do anything with it.

ros vulgaris

Sunderland should have had Bede (sources are mixed between here and Jarrow but he was definitely schooled at Monkwearmouth), James Herriot (left early but was always a fan of the football club), Kate Adie (born in Whitley Bay but we've always claimed her), Raich Carter, James Bolam, Terry Deary and Lauren Laverne.

dissolute ocelot

Sean Connery for Edinburgh. Is he more famous than Alexander Graham Bell, Arthur Conan Doyle, David Hume, Tony BLIAR, or King James VI and I, who has a Bible named after him?

Still, could be worse: Dalgety Bay, a town of 10,000 people just across the Firth of Forth has
QuoteLiam Smith (born 10 April 1996) is a Scottish footballer who plays as a right-back for Grimsby Town on loan from Cheltenham Town.
And Glasgow's is Mark Knopfler, who I never knew was born in Scotland (moved to Blyth aged 7). Most notable Frenchie is Jules Verne!

Technically it seems a bit wobbly: it seems to switch back and forth between Brian Cox and Ian McDiarmid as you zoom in on Dundee. (The latter is from Carnoustie, basically Dundee's golf course.)

monkfromhavana

Nick Skelton, who I think needs no introduction.

Pimhole

Paul McCartney is not on this, but Will Sergeant is. Get in bin.

ros vulgaris

Quote from: Poobum on March 08, 2024, 01:47:55 PMLord Byron is buried nearby but born in that there London apparently.

He married at Seaham Hall here. It predictably didn't last long but it produced Ada Lovelace.

Jerzy Bondov

I'm using this to doxx you all

Blumf

Apparently, Lenny Henry isn't notable, but Mark Speight is?