Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Comedy Books

Started by Ignatius_S, October 19, 2006, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

The following books may have been mentioned in other threads, but as I couldn't find a dedicated thread (in the 30 seconds I spent looking) to new comedy-related books and as Xmas is coming up, thought now would be a  good time to start one.

Out this month (all burb from Amazon):

Spike and Co: Spike, Eric and the Golden Age of British Comedy:
QuoteThis is the story of how four people, grouped together inside a set of offices five floors above a greengrocer's shop on Shepherd's Bush Green in West London, launched a golden age of British comedy. On any weekday morning, if you dared to clamber over the crates of fruit and veg outside on the pavement, and climb the five flights of stairs to Associated London Scripts, you would find Milligan, Sykes, Galton & Simpson, shaping the latest shows, swapping the odd story and searching for a funnier line. Together, this eclectic bunch, and their bizarre office block, were responsible for a golden age in British comedy, which included "The Goons", "Hancock's Half Hour", "Sykes", "Steptoe and Son", "Comedy Playhouse", "The Frankie Howerd Show", "Beyond Our Ken", "Round the Horn", "The Arthur Haynes Show", "The Army Game", "Bootsie and Snudge", "That Was The Week That Was", and "Till Death Us Do Part". SPIKE & CO is their incredible story.

The Goodies Rule OK:
QuoteThroughout the 1970s, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie created the most imaginative, inventive and consistently hilarious television show around. They were the undisputed kings of comedy and are remembered today with huge nostalgic affection by a whole generation of 30- to 40- somethings. Fully endorsed by all three Goodies, "The Goodies Rule OK" recalls their earliest collaborations on stage and radio, then covers in detail their nine series of television classics. Tim, Graeme and Bill offer their own recollections on the creation of each series, providing a real insight into how they conquered the small screen in the 1970s, and why their legacy still stands tall today.

Tommy Cooper: Always Leave Them Laughing: The Definitive Biography of a Comedy Legend:
Frank and revealing, this fully authorised biography by Tommy's friend and colleague, acclaimed TV producer, John Fisher, is the first ever intimate portrait of Britain's best-loved, but little known, entertainer. More than just a comedian, Tommy Cooper was a born entertainer. Working in a golden age of British comedy, Cooper stood - literally - head and shoulders above the crowd, and had a magical talent for humour that defied description. When Cooper enlisted in the army in 1939, and began to perfect his comic timing on his army colleagues in the Egyptian desert, the man with the fez was born. Cooper was at the heart of the thriving British variety scene, adored by his legions of fans and much revered by his fellow professionals. The gentle giant of entertainment accompanied his bewildered, botched magic act with a sublime sense of bravado and a face that was made for comedy. He was one of the first funny men to have the entire nation in stitches. But, there was a man behind the laughter that few people saw. John Fisher was Cooper's friend and colleague and witnessed first-hand the child that lingered within the adult and moments of self-doubt and inadequacy that contrasted with the genial exterior. Until his tragic death, which occurred in the middle of his act on live television in 1984, Tommy Cooper lived in constant fear of the day he would be found out by his audience. He could never believe the accolades that came so thick and fast from every direction, and died to the sounds of laughter that he never really believed. Supplementing his own intimate knowledge with material accessed for the first time from the archives of Tommy's agent and manager, Miff Ferrie, and with the full co-operation of the Cooper family, John Fisher brings alive the man behind the comedic mask in this definitive biography of a comedy legend.

Fading Into The Limelight - Peter Sallis
QuoteFor more than 30 years, Peter Sallis has played Clegg in 'Last of the Summer Wine', the world's longest-running sitcom. With his dry, cynical wit and cautious nature, Clegg has been taken to the hearts of the nation. Now the man behind this creation, and the voice of Wallace in Wallace & Gromit, is telling his story. From his early days in the RAF in the Second World War, through an extraordinary theatrical career that saw him perform alongside the likes of Joan Collins, John Gielgud and Orson Welles, to the fame that came to him late in his career, Peter Sallis has a wonderful, heartwarming story to tell. Packed with brilliant stories and amusing anecdotes, this is a memoir that will appeal to Peter Sallis's millions of fans, as he looks back over his career with a warm glow of nostalgia.

The Complete One Foot In The Grave
QuoteVictor Meldrew (Richard Wilson) and his long-suffering wife Margaret (Annette Crosbie) were a newly retired couple for whom the vagaries of modern life, and sheer bad luck, mean that they are frequently left bewildered and bemused, with Victor's volcanic temper exploding in hilarious outbursts while his wife tries to soothe her husband. The series, which began in 1990, captured the mood of a nation doing battle with confusing changes and increasingly reluctant to give voice to its frustrations. Victor Meldrew became a hero for speaking out. In some 44 episodes across the rest of the decade, before he was eventually killed off in a car accident, we cheered him on. In this book, Richard Webber goes behind the scenes, talking to David Renwick about his inspirations for the characters and the wonderful plots, and discussing their roles with the stars of the series. He provides a comprehensive account of the programmes, with an episode by episode guide, highlights of the most famous and hilarious moments, as well as some wonderful photographs from the making of the series, many never seen before. With some episodes attracting more than 20 million viewers, there is a huge fanbase for this book.

Quote from: "Ignatius_S"The Goodies Rule OK

Nice cover!

The Mumbler

Griff Rhys Jones's Semi-Detached memoirs are out next week. And Clive James's fourth volume of Unreliable Memoirs (I forget its title) is already out. Basically covering the period from 1968 and his entry into journalism and TV.

CaledonianGonzo

<Bumpitybump>

The horror....

http://roughguidetocomedy.blogspot.com/

Strange that yer man Gervais is on the cover, yet doesn't make the Top 50
Icons: The Faces of Comedy.

Quote from: "The Rough Guide's all-time top 10 live acts"

#1. Eddie Izzard
#2. Daniel Kitson
#3. Andrew Maxwell
#4. Alan Carr
#5. Robert Newman
#6. Ross Noble
#7. Mark Watson
#8. Jerry Sadowitz
#9. Brendon Burns
#10. Tim Vine

This maybe merits a thread of its own for discussion.  Alan Carr!  Where's Billy Connolly?  Brendan Burns isn't British!, etc. etc. etc.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: "CaledonianGonzo"
Strange that yer man Gervais is on the cover, yet doesn't make the Top 50
Icons: The Faces of Comedy.

No doubt it will help sell it though.

This maybe merits a thread of its own for discussion.  Alan Carr!  Where's Billy Connolly?  Brendan Burns isn't British!, etc. etc. etc.

It's all a load of bollocks anyway really, isn't it?

EDIT: Anyone know what's happened to the One Foot in the Grave book? Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.

Brutus Beefcake

I'm gonna jam my thumb in it's butthole!

Ignatius_S

Hello: The Autobiography - Leslie Phillips

Came out about 3 months ago, but i only spotted it the other day - looks a fairly amiable read

Quote from: "wherearethespoons"EDIT: Anyone know what's happened to the One Foot in the Grave book? Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
Amazon says it's in stock at the mo....

Ignatius_S

Couple of American publications:

Jokes My Father Never Taught Me: Life, Love, and Loss with Richard Pryor - by Rain Pryor

And dear, oh dear.....    Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary II: More Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of

CaledonianGonzo

QuoteAnd dear, oh dear..... Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary II: More Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of

Ah...blue collar comedy.  Is that sound I hear the cackling of people celebrating their own ignorance? I believe so.  GIT-R-DONE!

wherearethespoons

Quote from: "Ignatius_S"
Quote from: "wherearethespoons"EDIT: Anyone know what's happened to the One Foot in the Grave book? Doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
Amazon says it's in stock at the mo....

Yeah, I finally ordered it after seeing it Waterstone's last week. It's actually a pretty decent read. Though some of the picture captions have been cocked up - not completed or obscured by text.

Also got that Spike and Co. book which looks more enjoyable. Anyone read it yet?

#1. Eddie Izzard
#2. Daniel Kitson
#3. Andrew Maxwell
#4. Alan Carr
#5. Robert Newman
#6. Ross Noble
#7. Mark Watson
#8. Jerry Sadowitz
#9. Brendon Burns
#10. Tim Vine

Tim Vine?!?!?

Has anyone read Harry Hill's latest offering, Tim the Tiny Horse? I never got around to trying Flight from Deathrow, and suspect that I'll either really love his novels, or really hate them, but I don't know which.

I loved Flight from Deathrow but I've not read the new one. It's not really a well structured novel at all, just a stream of nonsense but it's full of laughs.

Cazza

Quote from: "Chris Chopping"

#1. Eddie Izzard
#2. Daniel Kitson
#3. Andrew Maxwell
#4. Alan Carr
#5. Robert Newman
#6. Ross Noble
#7. Mark Watson
#8. Jerry Sadowitz
#9. Brendon Burns
#10. Tim Vine

Tim Vine?!?!?

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!?!?!!?!?

Fucking Vine and his pathetic 'ooh I'm so sharp on one liners' excuse for stand up....ermmm..NO YOU ARE NOT!!!!

neveragain

ermmm..YES HE ARE IS!!!!

The Mumbler

Is Tim the Tiny Horse meant to be a children's book? I only had the most cursory of flick-throughs, but that's the impression I got. Did look quite fun, though.

ozziechef

I read Tim the Tiny Horse while in Waterstones today. It's short with lots of stories about 3 or 4 pages each with about 10 words on a page. I thought it was actually one of the best books Ive read for a while so just purchased off the internet  for much less than it's £9.99 rrp

Ben Ordinary

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Is Tim the Tiny Horse meant to be a children's book? I only had the most cursory of flick-throughs, but that's the impression I got. Did look quite fun, though.

Yes. Despite the running jokes about 70's newsreaders I noted when I flicked through it, its definately for kids. It was £4.99 last week in WHSmith when I was skint and this week, now I have it, its gone back up to £8.99. Them swines.

Marvin

Quote from: "Chris Chopping"

#1. Eddie Izzard
#2. Daniel Kitson
#3. Andrew Maxwell
#4. Alan Carr
#5. Robert Newman
#6. Ross Noble
#7. Mark Watson
#8. Jerry Sadowitz
#9. Brendon Burns
#10. Tim Vine

Tim Vine?!?!?

Why pick out Tim Vine? He has far more reason to be on such a list than almost all of the rest of it.

Jemble Fred

Vine should be third out of that lot – Izzard at the top (for old time's sake), then Sadowitz. Rob Newman fourth, and fuck the rest of 'em.

The Mumbler

Webber's One Foot in the Grave book is - having flicked through it last night - faintly magnificent. He's spoken to just about everyone (Wilson, Crosbie, Brenman, Mantle, Renwick, Belbin, just about every crew member still living). Deayton contributes, although sparingly (which makes me think the quotes may be from a different source), and I'm not sure I spotted any Duvitski contributions, although as I say, I was flicking. But there are detailed notes on pre-production, a fairly lengthy interview with Renwick about his early career, and some big surprises, including the two people who were (briefly) considered as possibles for Victor Meldrew.

It's going on my Christmas list. Simple as that.

wherearethespoons

Quote from: "The Mumbler"and I'm not sure I spotted any Duvitski contributions

Yeah, she's in there. Like you said, just about everyone is. Interesting stuff about how Renwick was involved in pretty much every stage of the production. And they mention the fact that that robin looks so bad in series one - it's something that has always annoyed me too. Renwick wasn't too happy with it either.

So much is taken from Renwick's diary which is very insightful stuff.

Darrell

Webber's OFITG book is just amazing - how every comedy factual book should be. I mean real Andrew Pixley level stuff. Only made the connection that he also did that jawdropping Only Fools encyclopedia from a few Christmasses back, a tome which I really treasure.

I want a Jonathan Creek one now.

wherearethespoons

His Hancock one was bloody good too - had two whole new scripts at the back; one radio and one television. Creek would make sense now as he's got all the contacts but I'd love one on Blackadder. Never really read much on that, are there (or has there been) any decent books on it?

benthalo

Besides the Pixley articles for TV Zone a while ago, there ain't much good reading on Black Adder. Frankly, unless you're incredibly well connected with producers who kept a lot of paperwork, then researching anything post-79 from the BBC can be a real bugger.

You can buy with confidence when it comes to Webber. The Hancock book is, as has been said, pretty wonderful.

Darrell

There's a really appalling Steve Lyons/Chris Howarth Virgin paperback about Blackadder, 'Cunning' which should be avoided at all costs.

benthalo

Never even heard of that!

The same authors' Doctor Who book, The Completely Useless Encyclopaedia, is beaten by a nose in the worst Who book stakes by Andrew Cartmel's Through Time. Incredibly unfunny, written by two SF fans who have touched girls on the breast and really want us to know about it.

Barney Sloane

Quote from: "Darrell"There's a really appalling Steve Lyons/Chris Howarth Virgin paperback about Blackadder, 'Cunning' which should be avoided at all costs.

It is indeed bloody awful - this may be a contributory factor to the fact that I've only ever seen it in remaindered bookshops.  I think the same authors did a Red Dwarf one as well, didn't they?

Darrell

Aye. That's slightly better as they did at least get some interview material, but it hardly justified all the reverential revised reprints and has been completely superceded now with, and I say this reluctantly, Andrew Ellard's work on the DVDs.

They did a couple of others too. Real hack work.