Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Samples Questions Thread

Started by DJ Solid Snail, February 24, 2010, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Solid Snail

Hey now,

I'm envisioning a combo "What's That Sample From?"/"What's This Sampled In?" thread here, mainly because I'm constantly asking myself these questions in vain. The Breaks is a good a source for this sort of thing, but its focus mainly is hip hop, and it isn't quite omniscient, although it's pretty good. I happen to have two on my mind recently, namely;

What's That Sample From:
The old blues guy-sounding "Woke up this mooor-ning" and, later, the "Yeeeah" from the 'Chosen One Mix' of Alabama 3's 'Woke Up This Morning' i.e. the Sopranos theme song. I vaguely recall seeing some site credit as a composer the artist being sampled, and he was one of those guys with a slightly preposterous real name, possibly Ellas McDaniel or a man named 'Hester' or a man with a woman's name, I can't remember exactly. It's not B.B. King's 'Woke Up This Morning', which I thought it might be.

What's This Sampled In:
The Breaks had tons of examples of Sly Stone being sampled, but what was missing was 'Dynamite' from the Life album. They were of course sampled to bits by Fatboy Slim I seem to remember, in a sort of medley of Sly Stone samples: the siren from the start of 'Dynamite', into the ace opening of 'Into My Own Thing', and then the a cappalla scat from 'Dance to the Music'. I'm not a huge fan of Fatboy Slim but that was quite well done, if that's how it went. I may have imagined it.
To the question: I was listening to Life the other day and the bit that stuck out as something I'd heard in another context was the female voice singing "Yeah" in a melifluous drawn-out fashion. I think it might have been sampled in a late '80s/early '90s hip hop track from a San Andreas radio station.

I've never started a thread before, is this any good?

phantom_power

for your sly stone question, it isn't 'shadrach' by the beastie boys is it?

joeyzaza

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on February 24, 2010, 09:25:49 PM
To the question: I was listening to Life the other day and the bit that stuck out as something I'd heard in another context was the female voice singing "Yeah" in a melifluous drawn-out fashion. I think it might have been sampled in a late '80s/early '90s hip hop track from a San Andreas radio station.
It's not from the "Life" song or even on the "Life" album, but that immediately made me think of Public Enemy's "Party For Your Right To Fight", which prominently samples the acapella "Yeah heh, laaaaaaa" bit from the very end of Sly's "Sing A Simple Song".

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on February 24, 2010, 09:25:49 PM
I've never started a thread before, is this any good?
Emphatically yes!

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: phantom_power on February 25, 2010, 10:40:31 AM
for your sly stone question, it isn't 'shadrach' by the beastie boys is it?

Definitely not, but thanks anyway - that was an ace song I'd not heard before. I'm an idiot; I was thinking, 'What a great idea, basing a whole song on some Sly Stone throwaway gibberish,' but Shadrach's a Biblical figure, along with Meshach and Abednego - I think the Beastie Boys' interpretation of the last bit may have been slightly different. They were three young dudes who refused to worship King Ship-from-the-Matrix's idol ("Possibly Nabu" says Wikipedia), so he threatened to have them thrown in this furnace he had going. They refused, saying they weren't so big on Nabu, and their own, better God would save them anyway. He heats the furnace up seven times hotter than average, tosses them in, and their own, better God saves them. They even come away free of the smell of ash, see:

Quote from: WikipediaWhen they came out the next verses say that "the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them".

Quote from: joeyzaza on February 25, 2010, 03:41:16 PM
It's not from the "Life" song or even on the "Life" album, but that immediately made me think of Public Enemy's "Party For Your Right To Fight", which prominently samples the acapella "Yeah heh, laaaaaaa" bit from the very end of Sly's "Sing A Simple Song".

I like that Arrested Development song CM's always playing, 'Mr. Wendal', which bases a whole song around one of those groans.

torz77

This site is pretty good for this sort of thing (but not so good as to be able to answer your first question, unfortunately)

http://www.whosampled.com

The two it has up for sampling Life is:
Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain (I assume this isn't the one you were looking for as it samples the intro)
Beck - Sissyneck (this samples the intro too, so not this).

I take it all back. This site is clearly rubbish.... still fun to poke around on sometimes though.

Posom

Hi,
Does anyone know what are the samples used on "Post-Mortem"  by El-P?                  Mr. Lif - Post Mortem Feat. EL-P, Jean Grae & Akrobatik

I try to discover all the samples used by Luke Vibert on his album: Big Soup.
I've already found a few, here they are:
"Crazy" "Wonderbread""XDDT" by Arthur Harrison & Rupert Chappelle 1982
"Heystone Capers 2" Eric Peters 1978
"Main Theme from Trouble Man" Marvin Gaye 1972
"I Know You Got Soul" Eric B Rakim
"Strangers In The Night" Perrey & Kingsley 1967
"Meet The G That Killed Me" Public Enemy 1990
"Valse De Melody" Serge Gainsbourg 1971
"69 Annee Erotique" Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin 1969
Jazz Music" Gangstarr

DJ SHADOW HARD SELL unidentified tracks

>
>Side One
>7:35  Eye of the Tiger by Big Daddy (1983)
>8:50  I Only Have Eyes For You by The Flamingos
>
>14:51  Summer in the City by Quincy Jones (1973)
>16:03  Apache by Incredible Bongo Band (1973)
>17:35
>18:23  Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat) by Digable Planets (1993)
>19:43  Synthetic Substitution by Melvin Bliss (1973)
>20:20 Magic Mountain by Eric Burdon and War (1970)
>19:43  Synthetic Substitution by Melvin Bliss (1973)
>21:15  Cookies by Brother Soul (1974)
>22:12 De La Soul - Plug Tunin
>23:40 
>25:45
>26:53
>27:46
>32:30
>33:30
>37:00
>37:25  Podes Crer, Amizade by Toni Tornado (1972)
>40:30

For the moment, I'm searching:
> 1- http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_chaffey_college_jazz_ensemble/imagination_flight/
>2- a track by the The Groupies, cant remember the name used in Dj Shadow's Painkiller (Kill The Pain Mix) which lyrics contains : "..my radioman is my number one high"
Samples used by Third Eye Foundation
Unidentified tracks -> Mr. Flash - Monsieur Sexe

Thanks for your contribution.

Johnny Townmouse

You might have some passing interest in this thread which deals with both covers and samples:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=21477.0.html

The Masked Unit

I'm pretty sure everything on Post Mortem is synth based with no samples, other than the drums of course. The only bit that sounds like it might possibly be sampled is the guitar sounding bit near the end, and if I were a guessing man I'd say it may well come from a Brian Eno record, as the sound in question sounds a bit like the sample he used from "Cindy tells me" by Eno on Rasberry Fields from The Cold Vein, although I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Interestingly, to me at least, I always felt that track was quite a pivotal point in the development of his production style, as up until that point his output had been almost exclusively sample based, although admittedly Fan Dam did have a few synths here and there, although nowhere near the extent his stuff does now, which in many cases is more reliant on synths than it is on samples.

If you didn't know, he's releasing The Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx3 in July, which he has said is very synthy, and he's also co-producing Wilder Zoby's (from Chin Chin) solo album, and is working on a proper third album.

I like El-p.

Posom

Thanks you for these informations. I thought that, like "Cold Vein", he still sample different sounds from library Music as De Wolfe Libraries.

Outside of the most famous, I could find on web this:
The drum break in the middle bit of "Delorean" is "Power surge" by Frank McDonald & Chris Rae from the De Wolfe Libraries. He also used it on "Simian Drugs" from the final Co Flow E.P and "Suzy pulled a pistol on Henry" from "Little Johnny from the Hospital".
- "Accidents don't happen" features vocal bits fro the film "1984".
- "T.O.J" samples the intro from  "Hold Back" by  Peter Reno, also from the fcking De Wolfe Libraries- "Innocent Leader" samples the drums from David Bowie's "Soul Love"
- "Be aware" from Little Johnny from the hospitul samples Simon Haseley - "Hogans' Thing" (De Wolfe again!)
- Lazerface's Warning by El-P on the album Fantastic Damage contains numerous samples from the 70's Disney flick 'The Rescuers', particularly the sample of a child giggling and a wonky male vocal sample saying 'New York'
- Squeegee Man Shooting (2002) samples Equinoxe Part 3 by Jean Michel Jarre (1978)
-  Painkillers by Cannibal Ox (2001) samples The Death of Optimus Prime by Vince DiCola (1986)
- Work Ant Uprise (1999) samples The Stroke by Billy Squier (1981)
- From"I'll sleep when you're dead" is "Hammerhead" by Simon Hasely on the track ""Poisenville Kids". I believe he also uses it on the preceeding track " The league of extraordinary  nobodies".

Otherwise, I saw he's releasing The Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx3 in July and working on his next album. I can't wait.

Saw your knowledge, could you help me to identify some samples used in Luke Vibert's Big Soup, an excellent Mo Wax album.

Mars, Luke Vibert, Big Soup, Wagon Christ
Luke Vibert - Music Called Jazz
Luke Vibert - Stern Facials
Luke Vibert - Fused Into Music
Luke Vibert - 2001 Beats *High Quality
Luke Vibert - Voyage Into The Unknown *High Quality

I've already found a few, here they are:
"Crazy" "Wonderbread""XDDT" by Arthur Harrison & Rupert Chappelle 1982
"Heystone Capers 2" Eric Peters 1978
"Main Theme from Trouble Man" Marvin Gaye 1972
"I Know You Got Soul" Eric B Rakim
"Strangers In The Night" Perrey & Kingsley 1967