Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Blur Material

Started by Johnny Textface, April 19, 2010, 01:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Blur - Fool's Day

First material featuring Coxon for a good while.

It's nice enough if a bit slight and polite, there's certainly a whiff of B-side about it.

Hopefully they can get it together, one day soon, and write a proper pop hit like the used to back in the day.

Thoughts?

purlieu

Ray Le Otter

You can download this for nowt you know, from t'website.

fremsley

Phenomenally good in my opinion, though it's hard to say why exactly. Somehow the Albarn melody and Coxon noise always gels perfectly for me. Some of my favourite Blur songs are b-sides, so this is quite satisfactory also.

All in all I'm glad they're back. It seems ages since a pop band making unpredictable music could actually trouble the public consciousness.

Mr Colossal

can somebody tell me what its sounding almost exactly like? its really bugging me now!  after the 'do-dee do.' of albarns vocals  I find myself expecting the vocals of the other song its a dead ringer for in a call and response fashion...  It doesnt help that I cant for the life of me remember what this song is, or even what it says-  but the lyrics are obscured in a mopey drawl and sound  like 'yeah... yeahhhhhhh yeah'.  That might  be what they say actually.  'do-dee-do... yeah yeahhhhh yeah'.     

The  song im thinking off has an All the young dudes / Cum On Feel The Noize /  Boys Are Back In Town type rock sound to it.

buntyman

It sounds to me like Getting Away With It by New Order

imitationleather

Don't you mean Electronic?

And I don't think it does really.

Ray Le Otter

"Spacer" by Sheila B Devotion.

buntyman

Yup I meant Electronic, not sure why I thought it was New Order. Anyway, Ray Le Otter's suggestion  (which you have to admit, also has echoes of Getting Away With It!) is even more like the Blur one so forget I ever typed.

Ray Le Otter

Or "Crying At The Discotheque" by Alcazar if you're a bit modern.

And Mika had a similar song as well.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: Ray Le Otter on April 19, 2010, 11:48:17 PM
"Spacer" by Sheila B Devotion.

I think this is possibly what I was thinking of.  A 'spa-aa-cer  A Star cha-ser'  although I can still hear a much more 'grungier' male vocal in my head that follows exactly the same vocal pattern.

But now disturbingly after listening to that, im now getting Cutting Crews 'I just died in your arms tonight'.

edit: the 'all my life'  part of getting away with it seems to fit too,  although i dont remember the song im thinking of sounding so 'take that'   but its another possible.

PaulTMA

Well I was expecting another 'Don't Bomb When You're The Bomb' with added Coxon so was very happy to get this instead.

copylight

I think Blur still have some mileage left in them judging by this song. It would be nice if the band met up every couple of months for old times sake and put out two or three singles. With no pressure of a new album or a touring cycle, just infrequently for kicks.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mr Colossal on April 20, 2010, 12:39:15 AM

I think this is possibly what I was thinking of.  A 'spa-aa-cer  A Star cha-ser'  although I can still hear a much more 'grungier' male vocal in my head that follows exactly the same vocal pattern.

But now disturbingly after listening to that, im now getting Cutting Crews 'I just died in your arms tonight'.

edit: the 'all my life'  part of getting away with it seems to fit too,  although i dont remember the song im thinking of sounding so 'take that'   but its another possible.

Good call but Albarn does subtle melody theft so well though. eg: Feel Good Inc/ Sunny Afternoon

Bennygaylord

Perfect. I love it. It's so... reassuring? I say this not as a huge Blur fan, but I'm really impressed with this.

35mm

I dont think it quite matches Albarn's Gorillaz output. I think the first Gorillaz album is in the top 10 records of the decade. Nevertheless a new Blur album would be most welcome and might finally prove my point; Blur absolutely wipe the floor with Oasis.

A cracking little tune, only just heard it. Sounds very 'Modern Life' to me. He's back to the Mockney as well, which is always good. His well-spoken voice (as heard on Out Of Time) is just a bit drab.