Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I've been listening to the 3 stereolab - switched on compilations trying to decide whether I'm up for parting with the best part of 70 quid for the represses. I think the answer is a begrudging yes.

DrGreggles

FOPP have these Trojan Records box sets available and I've been working my way through those.
Bloody excellent.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 19, 2018, 12:27:45 PM
FOPP have these Trojan Records box sets available and I've been working my way through those.
Bloody excellent.

I got my dad one of them for his birthday a few years ago (and then naturally ripped it) they're excellent. A guy in the pub lent me the x-rated one as well, that's good.

Ferris

Crabwalk

Khalab - Black Noise 2084

Mind-blowing blend of afro-futuristic beats, samples and collaborations. I've rarely heard deep bass, beats and traditional instruments blended as well as this. It's superb.

Head Gardener

taking it easy (like Sunday morning) with Bill's solo debut, it's also signed inside by Bill + missus + most of Red Noise!

listen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRu4iEB6xg

BlodwynPig

Billy Cobham - Drum 'n' Voice (deu) 2

Wow - probably the best smooth jazz/funk album I've ever heard. Every track a bomb! It's very smooth but also has some fierce drumming and bass playing. I've a soft spot for music that ostensibly "nice" - loafer jazz, perhaps or noodle funk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PB8k_wbes

SpiderChrist

Oh my fucking days. Only recently started listening to Alice Coltrane, but what a feast for the ears.

mrpupkin

New BC Camplight album Deportation Blues, growing very fond of this. Perhaps no stand-out tracks on a par with the cream of How To Die in the North (his last one), but it somehow sustains a mood and identity more successfully despite him firing off in every direction just as much as ever. Had a great time last Friday night wandering around a deserted Regent's Park in the torrential rain with this lad in my ears.

SpiderChrist

Sebastian Cobb

I'll have to check that out. Autoimmune was a favourite.

SpiderChrist

SpiderChrist

It's really very good indeed:

"Jack Dangers of Meat Beat Manifesto in a unique remix of Terry Riley's legendary minimalist masterpiece 'In C', performed by the Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble. Composed in 1964, first recorded for release in 1968, this 2009 performance was remixed within earshot of the same San Francisco Bay foghorns which inspired Riley in the early sixties."

Sebastian Cobb

I'll check it out.

In slightly irrelevant news I pulled the trigger on all 3 volumes of Stereolab's Switched On represses the other day, not really a bargain at £65 but not quite a grifting either.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 01, 2018, 07:42:25 PM
I'll check it out.

In slightly irrelevant news I pulled the trigger on all 3 volumes of Stereolab's Switched on represses the other day, not really a bargain at £65 but not quite a grifting either.

that's as much of a bargain as there is these days. I have vol 2 on double clear vinyl and it's very very good. I had Aluminium Tunes on CD once upon a time.

listening to Mark Wynn's More Singles - But They're Not Really Singles I Just Sent Them To The Screen And Said They Were Singles, which is good if you want to hear a York-based drunkard rambling.

Sebastian Cobb

Really very happy with my gold/yellow glittered (original) pressing of Emperor Tomato Ketchup seeing as it's relevant.

jobotic

I'll impress you all one day with my Stereolab collection. My pink vinyl John Cage Bubblegum 7" still has the stick of bubblegum. So there.

jobotic

sevendaughters

listening to the Acetone compilation (1992-2001) that Light in the Attic put out. This is very lovely music and I don't know why the world kept it from me for so long. like Bedhead with a better hit rate.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on September 02, 2018, 11:47:29 PM
Cor, Shimmies In Super 8 is on discogs for 176 quid!

That'll be down to the Daft Punk link rather than the Steteolab one, won't it? I have my copy to an ex girlfriend, ffs.

Artie Fufkin

Great stuff. Some lovely arrangements in there. Inspired.