Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Dash-cam Thread

Started by Puce Moment, February 19, 2015, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

No, this is not a thread with racist overtones with links to Chinese and Russian dash-cam footage from Liveleak in which people drive like actual maniacs.

It is, instead, an opportunity for me to see if people use dash-cams in their cars? I ask this because I am considering getting one and wondered if people had suggestions or recommendations. This whole thing comes out of a recent event in which a friend of mine who lives in New York smacked into a car that was pulling into her lane without indicating or indeed considering her position or speed. In any case, the guy was immediately a complete dick about the whole thing, and I imagine because she is British and quite small, he thought he would railroad her and blamed it all on her driving. The video (which is actually now on youtube but which I would rather not link to) is entirely conclusive. His lane is not moving, and hers is moving at speed limit. He decides to pull into her lane when she is about 10feet behind him and she smacks into the front left of his car.

ANYWAY

On advice she decided not to mention there was a webcam or that footage existed until she saw how far he was prepared to go with the bull-bullshit. In the end - it was quite a lot and in fact he embellished the details quite a bit to make it seem like she was driving like Mr Magoo. She disputed the account, the insurance company got aggressive with her insurance company, and then she pulled out the footage. Back of the net - made him look like a massive cunt and she went for him. A new car was the upshot of that game.

So I would like to get a dash-cam because I have been driving for only three-years now and I imagine at some point something is going to happen. I am a very careful driver but soon I will be driving to the Midlands a lot which is a succession of shitty three-lane ring roads with people switching lanes at will.

Anyone use one?

syntaxerror

Johnny Textface

Puce Moment

Imagine how you're going to feel...

thenoise

No.

Spoiler alert
#safetyinnumbersbullying
[close]
[/sub]

Jerzy Bondov

I don't want one because it will record my bad and dangerous driving

VegaLA

YES!

Spoiler alert
No not really.
[close]

Utter Shit

Did anyone see Limmy's tweets about a dash-cam incident the other day? Agreed completely with him, that a lot of cyclists with their dash-cams now think that the most minor of transgressions by car drivers deserves a mouthful of abuse - but then act as if they've been wronged when the driver reacts by giving them a belt. As with Limmy, I at best don't care that they end up getting a slap, and in certain instances think they fully deserve it. Once you get in someone's face screaming abuse at them, often for very little reason, you lose the right to feel wronged if it gets aggressive.

Puce Moment

I live in a full-on twatty cyclists country - usually in numbers - and I can see a dashcam coming in handy for that.

Johnny Textface

I cycle for my daily commute these days and there's nothing on the road I hate more than fucking cyclists.  Most of the time they are inconsiderate (taking up too much road when they're clearly able to cycle closer to the curb), always want a shit race, look like dicks in their over-the-top shit pants and assorted gear and generally seem quite passive-aggressive. Cunts. I hate my 'club'.

Puce Moment

I was involved with a cyclist group in London before I moved away and they were awfully twatty, middle-class pricks. I longed for the old days of reclaim the streets in Birmingham with normal, considerate humans.

Where I am now is where twatty cyclists come on holiday, in groups, to take up the road. And you are NOT getting past.

soraya

Quote from: Johnny Textface on February 20, 2015, 11:33:12 PM
I cycle for my daily commute these days and there's nothing on the road I hate more than fucking cyclists. 

Try doing it on a bed, much better for their back and your knees.

small_world

I was thinking about this the other day.
I have a phone holder on my dashboard. The shape of it means the camera can see out and gets a good view of stuff going on in front.
On occasion, I'll slip the video recorder on.

Would it be possible to make a programme that sets the video recorder off in the background when my phone syncs to my van's bluetooth?
Would it be possible additionally to make my phone upload these videos to a device when my phone then syncs with my home or work wifi?
Seems possible to me. A named folder which is on autobackup. Simple programme to start the video...

You can have that idea.
Hope it makes someone some money.

Mr Banlon

I've found that my helmet-cam has proved to be a lifesaver.
I don't cycle. I'm a urologist and I perform cystoscopies.

MojoJojo

Quote from: small_world on February 21, 2015, 03:06:57 AM
I was thinking about this the other day.
I have a phone holder on my dashboard. The shape of it means the camera can see out and gets a good view of stuff going on in front.
On occasion, I'll slip the video recorder on.

Would it be possible to make a programme that sets the video recorder off in the background when my phone syncs to my van's bluetooth?
Assuming you're on Android, Tasker could do that
Would it be possible additionally to make my phone upload these videos to a device when my phone then syncs with my home or work wifi?
android again, but it does that
Seems possible to me. A named folder which is on autobackup. Simple programme to start the video...

You can have that idea.
Hope it makes someone some money.