Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:12:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 11 (Part 1)

Started by Norton Canes, January 07, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

There's a whiff of Moffats attempted quirky dialogue off that. Hopefully it's good though.

daf

Quirky and sassy!

This seems a bit 'Legz Akimbo' to me - subtle it down Chinballs!

Replies From View

Hopefully the fact that she's female won't be laboured over more than that.

And hopefully the blue background is particular to this scene rather than a continuation of the teal and orange thing.  No point having those fancy new cameras if you're just going to flatten everything to those two colours.

Gulftastic

Someone post it to Daily Motion or something, please.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 25, 2018, 09:07:01 PM
Someone post it to Daily Motion or something, please.

It keeps on popping up on youtube but only lasts about five minutes before the bbc take it down. It's worth doing a search though as people keep on re-upping it.

Norton Canes

Robot DeNiro

It's hard to tell from such a short clip but the performance seems good while the dialogue feels tired. I'm sure in the classic series all the Doctors were written differently, but from Tennant onwards they've all been the same. For me that ruined Capaldi's tenure as much as anything else *cough* Clara.

olliebean

Quote from: Malcy on June 25, 2018, 08:38:10 PM
There's a whiff of Moffats attempted quirky dialogue off that. Hopefully it's good though.

Felt more Tennant-ish to me, particularly at the end after the tongue business. Also a hint of Eccleston, although that might just be the similar accent.

Mister Six

Quote from: olliebean on June 25, 2018, 10:10:58 PM
Felt more Tennant-ish to me, particularly at the end after the tongue business. Also a hint of Eccleston, although that might just be the similar accent.

Aye. It's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, I'm glad to say. Still feels like an echo of better writers' earlier works, but maybe I'm being too harsh.

Looking forward to the Doctor having some more meaty, emotional stuff to work through. Not looking forward to the wanky woke article about how she's now a manic pixie dream girl based on that one scene.

Alberon

Clearly still in a post-regeneration muddle, so its hard to pin down her Doctor from that, but I like what little I saw.

Shaky

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on June 25, 2018, 09:57:07 PM
It's hard to tell from such a short clip but the performance seems good while the dialogue feels tired. I'm sure in the classic series all the Doctors were written differently, but from Tennant onwards they've all been the same. For me that ruined Capaldi's tenure as much as anything else *cough* Clara.

Yeah, she's very likeable but that dialogue and delivery... hmmmm. While it makes a certain amount of sense for the Doctor to have some of the same mannerisms & foibles each regenerative cycle it's really starting to seem like lazy shorthand now.

However, only a tiny piece of footage and all that.

Norton Canes

Goodness only knows what dialogue is going to accompany this scene...

Replies From View

Is that her sonic screwdriver?

A pink-light sonic screwdriver?  Please let's not.

Meanwhile, I am mainly thinking:

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 26, 2018, 09:40:51 AM

In a good way, though.  I like the goggles look.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on June 26, 2018, 12:00:08 PM

Particularly as it now looks like a 'dog's lipstick'!

Thomas

Quote from: Replies From View on June 26, 2018, 12:00:08 PM

It might be red. The lighting, however, is orange. Really goes with the blue of the leaked clip, don't you think?

Gulftastic

The goggles are a bit tank girl/whatever Kate McKinnon was called in Ghostbusters. I like them, and I suspect the legions of cosplayers gearing up for upcoming cons will too.

Deanjam

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 26, 2018, 03:40:28 PM
The goggles are a bit tank girl/whatever Kate McKinnon was called in Ghostbusters. I like them, and I suspect the legions of cosplayers gearing up for upcoming cons will too.

Available from BBC shop for just £299.99.

Jerzy Bondov

That new Sonic Screwdriver looks abysmal. Just get rid of the fucking thing again PLEASE.

Apparently the full trailer leaked (this is where the screwdriver shots are from) including some shots of new Daleks but I've not found anything yet.

mothman

New Daleks? Because that worked so well last time.

Namtab

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 26, 2018, 04:46:16 PM
That new Sonic Screwdriver looks abysmal. Just get rid of the fucking thing again PLEASE.

Apparently the full trailer leaked (this is where the screwdriver shots are from) including some shots of new Daleks but I've not found anything yet.

Huh? Where did you hear this?

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on June 26, 2018, 06:04:05 PM
New Daleks? Because that worked so well last time.

Well, if they do it properly they might wash away the taste of last time.

We can't be stuck with the RTD ones much longer; it's silly.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 26, 2018, 04:46:16 PM

The fact that they've obviously sat around and thought up ways to make it not resemble a dildo is quite an amusing thought, though.  I mean they clearly would have had meetings about that, wouldn't they.  So imagine it!

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on June 26, 2018, 06:14:27 PM
Well, if they do it properly they might wash away the taste of last time.

We can't be stuck with the RTD ones much longer; it's silly.

But how much can they change without going too far? The Megane Daleks were crap anyway, it wasn't just that they were new.

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on June 26, 2018, 06:17:15 PM
The fact that they've obviously sat around and thought up ways to make it not resemble a dildo is quite an amusing thought, though.  I mean they clearly would have had meetings about that, wouldn't they.  So imagine it!

Bet they had lots of pages of sex toy listings printed out from Ann Summers or Lovehoney or whatever and stuck on the wall with a big sign saying NOT LIKE THIS.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on June 26, 2018, 06:18:37 PM
But how much can they change without going too far? The Megane Daleks were crap anyway, it wasn't just that they were new.

The Moffat 2010 redesign got it wrong by changing the silhouette/outline/whatever it's called.  If they hadn't fattened it up and given it a hump it would have been a welcome addition to the Dalek household regardless of the colours and materials.  They changed the shape of it for the Adventure Games, and it looked instantly fine.  Tons of red soldier Daleks; marvellous.

Considering all the versions between 1963 and 2005, including the Cushing movie versions, it should be possible to get it right again.  How about gunmetal grey/silver with fewer fiddly details than the RTD copper and bronze ones?  That might sound just like the 1963 grey ones on paper, but those don't really resemble metal.

Blinder Data

Getting Tennant vibes. Hmmmm. Silly to base opinions on that tiny clip but my enthusiasm hasn't increased

Also, train geek time - were they walking through the mk3 carriage of an intercity 125?

purlieu

Well, that's not who I'd been told. I shall have to track down my source...

mothman

Sounds good. Though I'm beginning to wonder when the social injustice warriors will announce a funding drive to reshoot series 11 in a way that better suits the misogynistic racist virgin mindset.