Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WHAT DO I DO???

Started by hpmons, October 07, 2010, 01:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpmons

Tell me!

Do I go for choice 1, which is what I'm doing? Or go for the sexy choice 2, which is more work, but maybe cooler? Maaaaybe I should have gone for choice 2 all along? Maybe I was deluding myself taking choice 1?

But what if I take choice 2 and then regret it???

ThickAndCreamy

Stop being a coward and do it!

buttgammon

Take choice 2. There is the risk that you will regret it but you'd regret it more if you didn't try at all. And it's sexy which is always a bonus.

AsparagusTrevor

Always go for secret option number 3. It'll be a bit more work, but you'll end up with a much greater reward. And it's much, much sexier.

Cerys

If you go for option 1, very little changes.  If you go for option 2 things might go wrong - but at least you'll know.  Plus 'more work' balanced against 'sexier' sounds like a fair exchange.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Essentially you're asking whether to be as sexy and cool as you are now, or to be more sexy and cool?

Clearly the fact you are even asking this question renders you unsuited to option 2. Remain in your current sphere, forever.

NoSleep

Quote from: hpmons on October 07, 2010, 01:39:38 PM
But what if I take choice 2 and then regret it???

Of course.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 07, 2010, 01:47:02 PM
Always go for secret option number 3. It'll be a bit more work, but you'll end up with a much greater reward. And it's much, much sexier.
I like the way Asparagus Trevor thinks. I'm doing sexy secret option 3 right now.

MojoJojo

So option to is "sexy" but "more work"? Stripping

The relative sexiness of jobs is a distraction. All jobs, however cool they may seem, become hum drum quite quickly. Working in the world of media many often perceive my job as the latter, although many also think I am a wanker, and both points are fair. The sexy coolness wore off about two or three months in to the job as you soon realise it's that - a job - and that it is only you who can be sexy or cool. Like meeting celebs, they're often wankers or boring, but mostly they're just normal people. The shine of the role makes them seem something more though.

SetToStun

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 07, 2010, 01:54:48 PM
I like the way Asparagus Trevor thinks. I'm doing sexy secret option 3 right now.

It's hardly secret in your case, dear - those curtains won't wash themselves you know, and I could use those sheets to board out the loft.

sirhenry

Take the easy route that won't challenge you or take the route that will show you what you're capable of. Going to uni was a worrying challenge that you seem to have taken in your stride easily, time to take it to the next level.

Zero Gravitas

Sexier and more distracting, go for two.

NoSleep

Quote from: sirhenry on October 07, 2010, 03:12:09 PM
Take the easy route that won't challenge you or take the route that will show you what you're capable of. Going to uni was a worrying challenge that you seem to have taken in your stride easily, time to take it to the next level.

Sex University?

I'll tell you what... those Jews are absolute cunts.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Zetetic

Stick with number 1, that way you'll always be able to console yourself with thoughts of what could've been.

mini goatbix

I don't understand, what's sexier than being a spy?

NoSleep

Nobody knowing you're a spy negates the sexiness.

presta didwicks

More work can be a positive thing, in terms of your self worth, and your perceived worth in these times of austerity..
I had a similar offer 9 months ago, after 10 years in a very dull job (sort of industrial bin man), I took an option 2.   12 hour days and today I had to do 4 forty minute environmental training presentations to the whole workforce.
I'm actually enjoying the challenge, which has surprised me no end 'cos i'm a right lazy thick cunt.

Small Man Big Horse

Icehaven

Quote from: Benjie Trufflesnort on October 07, 2010, 02:23:31 PM
The relative sexiness of jobs is a distraction. All jobs, however cool they may seem, become hum drum quite quickly. Working in the world of media many often perceive my job as the latter, although many also think I am a wanker, and both points are fair. The sexy coolness wore off about two or three months in to the job as you soon realise it's that - a job - and that it is only you who can be sexy or cool.

Precisely, I'm a Librarian and despite the typical image of my job I'm both sexy and cool.

sirhenry

Serge

Quote from: Benjie Trufflesnort on October 07, 2010, 02:23:31 PM
The relative sexiness of jobs is a distraction. All jobs, however cool they may seem, become hum drum quite quickly. Working in the world of media many often perceive my job as the latter, although many also think I am a wanker, and both points are fair. The sexy coolness wore off about two or three months in to the job as you soon realise it's that - a job - and that it is only you who can be sexy or cool. Like meeting celebs, they're often wankers or boring, but mostly they're just normal people. The shine of the role makes them seem something more though.

This is absolutely true. Although there are perks to working at Rough Trade, for the most part it is very tedious work, booking in deliveries, stickering them and getting them on the shop floor, placing orders, updating the admin site, etc, etc. But, of course, there are people who think that all we do all day is sit around talking about music and making lists 'like in High Fidelity', and these are the people who most desperately want to work there, not realising that pretty much every job gets boring quite quickly. (One particularly charming girl once told one of my colleagues that she wishes that one of us will die so that she could get a job here.)

This isn't just true of Rough Trade, although it is intensified here. In every bookshop I worked in, you quickly knew which people took the job because they thought they could just sit there reading or talking all day, and presumably imagined that the stock was put on the shelves by magic Book Elves overnight.

And I am neither sexy nor cool, and quite glad about it.