Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The PlayStation®4 Thread (PS4™)

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, November 08, 2014, 06:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

Quote from: Hollow on June 10, 2016, 08:08:27 PM
Done that shit submarine level yet? That's guaranteed to piss you off, especially what happens after.
Spoiler alert
is that the one where the score is 20 million but you have to give it back lest you start world war 3?

If it was that it was a bit annoying but the score afterwards was nearly half a mil which isn't too shabby.

If it's something more annoying than that then not looking forward to it!
[close]

Hollow

No, that was it, I was so annoyed I gave up, never had a game kick me in the nadgers like that.

Still that was from a different life, I might get the PS4 version for the added extras one day.

monolith

I think because of all the checkpoints there aren't any missions that I find really excruciating.

That bank robbery in GTA IV, I would come so close every time and then die right at the end, after 15 minutes work beforehand and then have to start from the beginning. I couldn't keep doing that.

I like the checkpoint system in GTA V, you know that even if you have a seriously hard part that your progress will be saved and you won't have to go back 20 minutes and do all the easy (but long) stuff again.

I never played the PS3 edition so I guess I've started on the "Ultimate" edition which I've read is much better so I guess it helps that I'm playing the definitive version.

Hollow

I've always been tempted by the first person view, I won't lie, but I need it to be cheaper, one thing about GTA games is they do tend to retain the resell value for a lot longer than most non Nintendo games.

mobias

Quote from: lazarou on June 10, 2016, 09:19:06 PM
It's kind of interesting that the ex-DMA/Rockstar guys at Realtime Worlds poured 100 million into APB trying to get that style of game to work to complete apathy from the public, only for Rockstar themselves to absolutely nail it almost as an aside.

From what I understand the original intention for GTA Online was for it to be very much like APB and in fact when Real Time Worlds went under a good few people from that company went on to work for Rockstar North. They poured a lot of time and money into it but in the end they couldn't make it work for the same reasons RTL couldn't. It was just way too ambitious. The delay in GTAV's launch from Spring to September 2013 was purely because they had to spend 6 months very quickly chucking GTA Online together from the template of Red Dead Redemption's online tech. GTA Online was and still is a huge a bone of contention both from fans of the series and the people who make it.

Also, I think for a lot of people Rockstar absolutely didn't nail GTA Online. They make a lot of money from it and it does have a solid fanbase but GTA Online is regarded as a bit of a mess and the sum total of a whole load of ideas that never quite work, both from a gaming point of view and a technical one.

pandadeath

Quote from: mobias on June 10, 2016, 07:01:41 PM
Actually I don't think Sony have confirmed the existence of it. Its just the worst kept secret in gaming at the moment. A smaller redesigned, and presumably a bit cheaper, standard PS4 is another given. I suspect there will be some pretty good deals leading up to the launch of that too as retailers get rid of the current model.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/10/sony-playsation-4-neo-not-at-e3/

Referred to by Sony executive Andrew house as 'the high-end PS4'.

lazarou

Quote from: mobias on June 11, 2016, 08:42:15 AM
Also, I think for a lot of people Rockstar absolutely didn't nail GTA Online. They make a lot of money from it and it does have a solid fanbase but GTA Online is regarded as a bit of a mess and the sum total of a whole load of ideas that never quite work, both from a gaming point of view and a technical one.
I could've phrased that better, sorry. I didn't mean they nailed the design (I thought it was fairly awful), I just meant they were able to capture that potential audience APB were going for. Now they've got them onboard, they're free to expand it out in all kinds of ways.

Hollow

I'm no way getting a neo, i might get the inevitable beefed up xbox, but I'm not buying the same console twice.

mobias

Quote from: pandadeath on June 11, 2016, 12:24:59 PM
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/10/sony-playsation-4-neo-not-at-e3/

Referred to by Sony executive Andrew house as 'the high-end PS4'.

Ah fair enough. Interesting him saying they're not going to announce it at E3 though when the rest of the world clearly thinks otherwise.

Quote from: lazarou on June 11, 2016, 05:07:06 PM
I could've phrased that better, sorry. I didn't mean they nailed the design (I thought it was fairly awful), I just meant they were able to capture that potential audience APB were going for. Now they've got them onboard, they're free to expand it out in all kinds of ways.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with it. I guess its no secret now that that Les Benzies versus Rockstar lawsuit shines a light on the fact that there are deep divisions within Rockstar as to GTA Online and what to do with it. I definitely think that with GTAVI there won't be such a focus on GTA Online to the detriment of the single player game. I believe there's a lot of sad people in the company that the single player DLC had to get shelved.

Shay Chaise

GTA Online is creatively and artistically bereft. It's Flappy Bird without the sense of irony.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: monolith on June 10, 2016, 10:10:50 PM
I think because of all the checkpoints there aren't any missions that I find really excruciating.

That bank robbery in GTA IV, I would come so close every time and then die right at the end, after 15 minutes work beforehand and then have to start from the beginning. I couldn't keep doing that.

I like the checkpoint system in GTA V, you know that even if you have a seriously hard part that your progress will be saved and you won't have to go back 20 minutes and do all the easy (but long) stuff again.

Plus you can skip missions after a few fails in GTAV, so you don't have to miss out on the story just because you can't get your head round the ridiculous helicopter controls and repeatedly crash into the side of a building, for example.

monolith

I like planes though, take a bit of getting used to, particularly landing but it's very satisfying being able to fly them after a while.

I just had a lot of fun by parachuting in to the airport and nicking a pretty fast plane, I was looking for the fighter jet that I've heard about but couldn't find it and I don't like looking at guides unless I absolutely have to but it was very satisfying nicking this small jet and taking it back to Sandy Shores whilst the clueless police looked for me back in Los Santos.

Helicopters I just can't do though, somehow managed to scrape by the helicopter flying courses at flight school by the skin of my teeth, landing it was the fucker that got me most of the time, I managed to get to the end of the course a couple of times with 40 odd seconds to spare to pass with a bronze medal but couldn't land the fucker in the right spot.

Van Dammage

Who was it that said they play fifa in here? I just got some PS plus and was wondering if anyone wanted a game.

brat-sampson

PSPLUS JULY

PS4

Saint's Row IV: Gat out of Hell
Just the expandalone, not the main game. I'll definitely play this. IV was fun, this was basically more of the same, and it's been long enough that that's appealing.

Furi
Release day title, looks smooth as fuck, challenging fast-paced boss arena type of thing w/ pumping electro soundtrack. I'm in.

PS3

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
So now I'll have two Call of Juarez games on my PS+ collection. They're both meant to be good western FPSs. Personally, I never finished the last one though, and that one was meant to be better so...

Fat Princess
Old indie CTF/team multiplayer (with singleplayer mode). It reviewed well, albeit quite a while ago.

PS Vita

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Multi-generational JRPG/dungeon crawler, got pretty decent reviews.

Prince of Persia Revelations
PSP port of a spinoff from when these PoP games were good. Apparently, this one wasn't.

wooders1978

Nice been meaning to get around to gat out of hell

Hollow

Call of Juarez is a really cool game..it's got an awesome score attack mode after you've done a level.

Not that anyone cares about ps3 anymore.

wooders1978

Rather cunty to add a freemium game as part of the lineup eh chaps?

Benjaminos

Not really - it's a bonus in addition to the two paid games we would usually get, and it's access to the closed beta and £15 of in-game bumf. Seems alright to me, even though I haven't the slightest interest in playing a crappy MOBA.

Van Dammage

Anyone else suffering from the extremely cunty auto eject shite? My disc just ejects for no reason in the middle of games. Absolute cock.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Van Dammage on July 13, 2016, 05:47:30 PM
Anyone else suffering from the extremely cunty auto eject shite? My disc just ejects for no reason in the middle of games. Absolute cock.

Mine did it for a bit, then I turned it on its side I believe and it stopped. It's done it again since, once or twice, but really hasn't been a problem since then.

This reddit suggests some helpful things too.

Van Dammage

Entropy Balsmalch

I got a Playstation TV with my console. Never plugged it in. You can play Vita games on it though can't you?

Penfold

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on July 13, 2016, 09:05:38 PM
I got a Playstation TV with my console. Never plugged it in. You can play Vita games on it though can't you?

Yeah but not all of them.

Here's a long Yes/No list

You can't play Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

I only used the PSTV in my room to play The Binding of Isaac and The Swapper but I had to remember to upload and download the cloud save when switching between machines.

The remote play sometimes worked over a powerline ethernet adapter.

Junglist

New PS Store sale, some very good prices. I got Soma for £4 which is almost reduced by £20, amazing value. Mad Max £15, Firewatch £11. Prices will be a little higher if you're not PS+:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/07/13/new-playstation-store-discounts-start-today-mad-max-rocket-league-alienation-more/

mobias

I'm really kicking myself I did't get Mad Max when it was for sale a few weeks back. It was going for £19.95. I see its back up at £49.95 again. I'm not paying that for it.

Penfold

It's the Deal of the Week and currently £14.99 on the PS Store

I need to finish it, bought the disc version a couple of months ago and maxed out...Max without doing much of the story.

Hollow

Quote from: mobias on July 14, 2016, 08:37:10 AM
I'm really kicking myself I did't get Mad Max when it was for sale a few weeks back. It was going for £19.95. I see its back up at £49.95 again. I'm not paying that for it.

Eh? What on PSN? It's £14.99.

Hollow

Wow...that was odd.

I thought it was a good enough game...I remember sighing at the use of the batman combat  system completely intact.

Penfold

Quote from: Hollow on July 14, 2016, 12:56:29 PM
Wow...that was odd.

Yeah, I should have just said I maxed out the main character instead of repeating Max.

Not worth me editing it though.

Quote from: Hollow on July 14, 2016, 12:56:29 PM
I thought it was a good enough game...I remember sighing at the use of the batman combat  system completely intact.

Memorable sighs are the best sighs.

Hollow

Quote from: Penfold on July 14, 2016, 01:13:15 PM
Yeah, I should have just said I maxed out the main character instead of repeating Max.

Not worth me editing it though.

Memorable sighs are the best sighs.

Hey you got there first...I should've edited mine.

Reminds me of Mrs Doyle and her friend arguing over the bill mainland.

Top politeness though...I take it you are new...no need to suck up to me, I'm nobody.