Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photography again

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, November 10, 2014, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

This isn't specific to b+w, but to my eyes it looks like the image (I've only looked at the train) has been too aggressively sharpened.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Endicott on August 29, 2023, 10:24:39 PMThis isn't specific to b+w, but to my eyes it looks like the image (I've only looked at the train) has been too aggressively sharpened.

It's still there even with the Clarity slider (in Lightroom) at zero. It does look better in Lightroom than when exported, though, so I wonder if there's some sort of output sharpening going on that I need to investigate.

Endicott

That's a possibility.

Aren't there other sharpening sliders? I'm not a lightroom user but they are all similar. Isn't there a radius/detail/masking section?

I'm on the wrong computer (this one is way too slow) to do this properly but I managed to get something going on a raw file using excessive radius (in Affinity Photo) that started to look a bit like your train pic edges, without going anywhere near the clarity slider.

I should stress though I'm not anywhere near expert in this.

Noodle Lizard

There are, but the only one that was dialed up is Clarity. I've noticed this happens only on photos where I start with one of their fancy "AI selected" presets, so there's probably a setting in there that needs fixing. Annoyingly, it looks fine in Lightroom itself, which makes it harder to diagnose the issue. I've checked all my export settings and they should be alright. Puzzler.

Here's a screenshot from Lightroom:

greenman

To my eye it looks like a combination of over sharpening creating halos around the chimney and the AI messing around with the exposure of the sky via putting a layer mask on the chimney inaccurately.

I'd always be wary of those two things and I'd tend to feather my layer masks more a bit below the horizon rather than on it.

Noodle Lizard

Good to know, cheers for your input! I sometimes start off with one of their suggestions as a base for the kind of look I'm going for, but I should probably stop being so lazy.

greenman

Tokyo van Ramming

greenman

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on November 17, 2023, 06:32:28 PMAbsolutely incredible. Where is this?

Mt Fitzroy in Southern Patagonia from 2020.

A bit more local to me last week...

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: greenman on November 17, 2023, 06:47:07 PMMt Fitzroy in Southern Patagonia from 2020.

Thank you.

Monsieur, I'm not sure who is more spoiled, you or us!

greenman

greenman

Noodle Lizard

I finally upgraded my iPhone, so I've been trying to use it a bit more for photography. With a bit of tweaking, it's comparable to my RX100, and I'm surprised by how well it handles low-light:

shoulders

Regarding the tweaking, is there any photo editing software or pimped out camera app you'd recommend installing? Ideally Android compatible

greenman

Personally I use Capture One but thats PC only and on the serious side, very good for raw converting and layer masks though and you can actually buy it still unlike Photoshop.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: shoulders on December 06, 2023, 07:42:14 AMRegarding the tweaking, is there any photo editing software or pimped out camera app you'd recommend installing? Ideally Android compatible

I tried a few, but I find the iPhone's native app to be robust enough now. Adobe Lightroom has a free app which can also use the camera to take pictures. I occasionally use the free version of RNI Films for filters for more casual photos.

greenman

Magnum Valentino

Magnum Valentino

The F Bomb

That last shot is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous separation and contrast between the mist, foreground and the stag. I also love the stag to the left looking right towards the lighter side of the frame.

Being autistic/a wanker, I'd crop out the sky/non-misty bit at the top of the frame, pulls my eye away a little, 2:3 ratio, maybe move the stag a touch further to the left. But that's only my personal preference/habit.

I'd have that on the wall.

The F Bomb

And the first shot is gorgeous, too.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: The F Bomb on February 17, 2024, 07:59:27 AMThat last shot is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous separation and contrast between the mist, foreground and the stag. I also love the stag to the left looking right towards the lighter side of the frame.

Being autistic/a wanker, I'd crop out the sky/non-misty bit at the top of the frame, pulls my eye away a little, 2:3 ratio, maybe move the stag a touch further to the left. But that's only my personal preference/habit.

I'd have that on the wall.

No not having that you autistic wanker my work is PERFECT

Only joking boss that's really cheered me up that has, thank you :-)

I'm only getting back into this after ages away and investing in a decent smartphone camera to offset the inevitability that I'm just not disciplined enough to take my Canon out and about all the time. I've no peer support at all so discussion like this is always welcome, I never even considered the top portion of that image when I cropped it. Took the graveyard one at 5 in the morning like a fucking ghoul.

Was convinced that stag was going to cunt me. There's warning signs up around the enclosure and everything and my dog was acting the hard lad.

greenman

I think really the composition on the last image tends to depend on what your trying to do. I think the more classically balanced way to edit it would be to loose some of the foreground so you have the clear sky, the misty trees and the ground as thirds then also have the stag 1/3 of the way across the frame. I would say though that perhaps its not really an image suited for that though? having the Stag central I think plays it up more as the focus and I think cutting off the clear sky makes the background more uniform and featureless again playing it up more.

The F Bomb

Yeah, not enough clear sky or foreground for the thirds, and the stag would disappear at that perspective, I agree. I'd use the meeting point of ground and mist as the wonky horizon (balanced above and below the actual midpoint) and still put the stag on the third. I like the stag to the left when looking right. Happy dead centre if it's looking straight at the camera. I'd actually flip the image so it's on the right looking left, keeps my eye coming back into the image left to right, boom, he sends me back, rinse and repeat.

Magnum Valentino

Might give some of this a go, actually.