Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzy

Fucking hell, it's like a Harry and Paul parody of what a Ricky Gervais show is.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hswUfTrmJWQ

Ferris

If you cried at the 1m58s clip that gervais tweeted out that involved throwing ashes in someone's face and hurling a brick through a car window, your grip on sanity is dangerously tenuous.

Must just go through life crying at cups and gerbils. Sad, really.

Blue Jam

Wow, that was somehow even worse than I expected. Cracking hatewatch. Won't bother with the series though, the trailer is as much as I can take.

BritishHobo

How many hours of video did Cancer Wife record? It's like in the later Saw films when they kept having to come up with more things that Jigsaw had done before he'd died, that would then slot into the story four sequels down the line.

Noodle Lizard

Even if you were one to like After Life when it came out, surely nobody really thought to themselves "Oh this premise has legs". He even had the good sense to end Derek after two long seasons. What's so evergreen about the concept of After Life that compelled him to break tradition?

I didn't watch the second series. His dad dies at the end? Like in series 2 of Derek where his dad dies at the end? Hope After Life remembered to include an incongruous speech immediately following the passing about how we live in a Godless universe and heaven definitely isn't real, if only to keep in line with the kind simple wisdom of Derek.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 01, 2022, 09:49:10 PMHow many hours of video did Cancer Wife record? It's like in the later Saw films when they kept having to come up with more things that Jigsaw had done before he'd died, that would then slot into the story four sequels down the line.

+Karma

Ferris

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 01, 2022, 09:49:10 PMHow many hours of video did Cancer Wife record? It's like in the later Saw films when they kept having to come up with more things that Jigsaw had done before he'd died, that would then slot into the story four sequels down the line.

Yeah I wondered this as well. Must have recorded hours and hours of herself doing and saying stuff that is apposite for every occasion years later.

frajer

Maybe ask the landlord of the pub for permission to sprinkle your dad's ashes there? Or have some respect for your fellow man and don't bloody do it?

It might work as comedy if Tony was embarrassed and flustered at getting caught and accidentally got some ashes in the landlord's mouth. That'd be crap but it'd be something.

But because it's a Gervais script, it's got to be the landlord who's somehow in the wrong for daring to not want cremated human ashes worked into his carpet, giving Gervais the chance to "win" yet again. Such rotten shite.

olliebean

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 01, 2022, 09:54:50 PMEven if you were one to like After Life when it came out, surely nobody really thought to themselves "Oh this premise has legs". He even had the good sense to end Derek after two long seasons. What's so evergreen about the concept of After Life that compelled him to break tradition?

I definitely remember him saying before season 1, although I can't find the quote now, that it was only going to be one season, so even he didn't want to/didn't think he'd be asked to do any more. What changed? Probably just Netflix were up for it and he didn't have any ideas for anything else.

jobotic

He's so great isn't he?

Love how the brilliant cock/cunt was given to us twice - once in a sad, moving situation and then in case we'd missed how funny it was through the tears and hyperventilating he had his mate repeat it in the car so that Gervais could do his laugh and we would all do it too.

Blue Jam

Sprinkling cigarette ash on a pub carpet would be considered a dick move these days. Ash from cremated human remains? Just bang out of order. Also isn't throwing ashes at someone technically assault?

Repeating a joke is generally not a good move, but the same joke twice in a two-minute trailer?

Gervais has got no-one to reel him in at all has he?

Armin Meiwes

Haha that trailer is mentally shit.. Why has he got this obsession with kindness though?? That's two sitcoms he's made now about how #kindnessismagic and is the thing to aspire to over everything else.. but why! I mean yeah trying to not be a dick is a worthwhile aim for sure but it's not really the be all and end all is it.. and even if it was why is it so important to tell the rest of us about this great insight of his over and over again when most people are aware of the concept of not being a twat to other people if you can help it. It's just weird.

phes

He's running on fumes from the Susan Boyle fallout. Derek was having the last word, Afterlife took kindness is magic, mashed it into The Office but made Andy's wife do a cancer so Gervais could eek out a few more years of lol ironic punching down. Now he's swearing in the pub and throwing stones though windows

billyandthecloneasaurus

TommyTurnips

He's going for the thicko basic crowd now and has been for some time. The people who go to the beach and write "live laugh love" in the sand, the people who have #blessed on their cushions at home. The people who think inspirational quote memes are the height of sophistication. These people are his fan-base now.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on January 02, 2022, 12:10:06 AMHaha that trailer is mentally shit.. Why has he got this obsession with kindness though?? That's two sitcoms he's made now about how #kindnessismagic and is the thing to aspire to over everything else.. but why!

The man so kind that all of his former collaborators won't work with him, basically because they're sick of being bullied.

Can't be real. It just can't be.

He can't sit and write his 50th crying scene and actually think it's worth doing again.

And David Earl must just be looking at his bank balance and saying to himself "it's just a job, it's just a job"

Hey, he could do a scene where he does a dance to try and look cool and up for a laugh but ends up looking a prat. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: TommyTurnips on January 02, 2022, 02:07:26 AMHe's going for the thicko basic crowd now and has been for some time. The people who go to the beach and write "live laugh love" in the sand, the people who have #blessed on their cushions at home. The people who think inspirational quote memes are the height of sophistication. These people are his fan-base now.

I wonder if he's seen Bo Burnham's Inside and realised his target audience is essentially "White Woman's Instagram"?

I probably would buy an official CaB tea towel with "KINDNESS IS MAGIC - Derke" on it though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 01, 2022, 09:54:50 PMI didn't watch the second series.

I had a good hatewatch of series 1 but couldn't get beyond episode 1 of the second series. More than anything else it was just very boring. Also a complete waste of Annette Crosbie.

idunnosomename

lol angels work hard to pay the rent on their houses

Hello fellow normal people.

Blue Jam

Going to see The Tragedy Of Macbeth later. I wonder what Gervais thinks of Ralph Ineson doing Shakespeare and Chaucer and working with The Coen Brothers and being in Game of Thrones, Star Wars etc and just generally being a successful and respected serious actor who would probably turn his nose up at any Gervais script?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 02, 2022, 01:15:54 PMGoing to see The Tragedy Of Macbeth later. I wonder what Gervais thinks of Ralph Ineson doing Shakespeare and Chaucer and working with The Coen Brothers and being in Game of Thrones, Star Wars etc and just generally being a successful and respected serious actor who would probably turn his nose up at any Gervais script?

That's probably true of a lot of actors who came through a Gervais sitcom. Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook, Lucy Davis, etc.

I doubt any would want to work with him. And that will probably be true of the actors in After Life once being in a successful Netflix show has propelled their status a bit: Tom Basden, Diane Morgan, Roisin Conaty etc.

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 02, 2022, 12:54:52 PMlol angels work hard to pay the rent on their houses

Hello fellow normal people.

"Are we sure about this line, Rick? Usually people pay the mortgage on their houses, or pay rent, but it doesn't really make sense the way you've phrased it. No you're right actually I don't give a shit either, why am I arguing? The audience won't hear it over their easily-conjured tears anyway. Easy money!"

idunnosomename

Imagine Ricky Gervais doing Shakespeare. He'd immediately lose interest in learning his lines, just go off and improvise, see he's losing them, do the dance, something about being kind, then scream "I HOPE IT WAS HIS COCK YOU CUNT".

Ah, yeah what was it, pray, remember the porter yeah. Ahahahaha!

Blue Jam

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 02, 2022, 01:45:39 PMImagine Ricky Gervais doing Shakespeare. He'd immediately lose interest in learning his lines, just go off and improvise, see he's losing them, do the dance, something about being kind, then scream "I HOPE IT WAS HIS COCK YOU CUNT".

Ah, yeah what was it, pray, remember the porter yeah. Ahahahaha!

He'd probably spend the whole time going "COUNTRY MATTERS*!!! HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!" while doing a knowing leer.

*"Queynte" if he was doing Chaucer

Imagine him as Hamlet, holding a skull with its upper half and lower halves pushed together in his hands.

"Alas, poor Derek!"  As he exclaims thus, he pushes the jawbone forward then projects his own lower teeth in remembrance.

Blue Jam

If he played Romeo he'd get Juliet's attention by sounding an air horn in the direction of the balcony then win her heart by throwing a bucket of water over her.

Bravo, Phoenix Lazarus, I can't top that.

wrec

He feels bad for mocking his dead wife's ridiculous religious beliefs because I suppose at the end of the day maybe she needed some comforting nonsense to cling to in the face of terminal illness. Would it have been kinder to refrain from explaining to her that there is no God or afterlife and religion is lies? She did tell him just to be Tony, yeah? so maybe explaining the truth was a greater Kind.

I presume Derek was somehow a staunch atheist too?

kalowski

Quote from: TommyTurnips on January 01, 2022, 05:32:26 PMThe trailer just came out.

Looks like a confused mixture of vandalism, assault and Derek style kindness.

A Ricky Gervais production.
I keep thinking about this. About just how bad it looks. It looks dreadful. The Office made me laugh more than anything in a long time (I still say "Where's your cutoff?" in the rare event anyone mentions either Yazz or Yazoo. Some lines just pop into my head at surprising times: "Messing my head with your '4-Non Blondes'", "He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?", "Einstein, Newton... I'd go Milligan, Cleese, Everett. Sessions.") I loved The Office and I can't believe just how far away from that this is. Awful, lazy, hackneyed, embarrassing crap.