Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 02, 2022, 10:41:24 PMI think he's not the idiot the others make him out to be.

A debate as old as the XFM shows. Karl plays up to his most idiotic tendencies for comic effect on those shows. He often pretends to not know what something means or is for the sake of creating humourous conversations. It's quite common and it surprises me how many people don't realise what's going on there.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of situations where he honestly doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about, he's not very highly educated in a formal sense.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on January 02, 2022, 10:46:43 PMThe reason he's telling us these thoughts is precisely because he knows they are unusual, I think.
That's not 'weird' to me, that's imagination.

Exactly.

Dickie_Anders

Pilkington is obviously fairly intelligent. I don't think it's an "act", as in he's playing a made-up character. Like any radio personality he just does bits he knows are funny

Gervais would call him an idiot on air and you could dismiss it as banter. Then Gervais marketed Karl's first television show as "An Idiot Abroad" and you got the increasing sense that Gervais thought the world was laughing at Karl and genuinely thought his appeal was his "stupidity". People love Karl because he has an original and funny comic mind

Noodle Lizard

It's telling that Gervais put so much onus on how uneducated or uncurious Karl is whilst proudly announcing he's never read a book himself, as well as the entire premise of An Idiot Abroad despite the fact that Gervais seems to have seldom left the UK or USA. Pilkington's own spin on the Idiot Abroad concept (The Moaning Of Life) demonstrated just how much he was interested to engage with other cultures and people, at least without Gervais orchestrating ways to make it as unpleasant as humanly possible from an office in London.

If nothing else, Gervais's recent work demonstrates a complete unwillingness to engage with any part of real life, despite claiming that's what is being presented back to us. Karl, on the other hand, always seemed engaged with everything he observed - even if it was ludicrous.

BritishHobo

Yeah, the idea that Karl is stupid (and therefore that there is something which could be an act) is entirely due to Gervais' witless hyping up of Pilkington's interesting perspective on the world.

DigForVictory

Wasn't the worst part of Idiot Abroad that Gervais and Merchant had set up Karl to have proper shit accommodation throughout? Like sleeping on the floor of a shop with a dozen other people type shit?

So there was almost no escape for Karl, it was just 24/7 being wound up and uncomfortable and miserable just to make Gervais laugh.

I wonder if Karl had a target of money in his head that he wanted to earn before he could fuck Gervais off forever.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 02, 2022, 11:25:07 PMIt's telling that Gervais put so much onus on how uneducated or uncurious Karl is whilst proudly announcing he's never read a book himself

This is the funny thing about Ricky - he wants to be the best at everything, but sometimes this means being the best at things which are diametrically opposed, so it leads to him claiming to be two contradictory things at once.
He wants to think he's the most learned and informed person in philosophy and history, but he also wants to believe he's so smart naturally he doesn't need to learn or read anything.
He wants to be the most edgy and offensive comedian in the world, but also wants to be the kindest man in the world.
He wants the credit for being so naturally gifted he doesn't have to try at anything, but he also wants to kudos for being a hard worker (this is a real gervais tweet: The only route to success is hard work. If you didn't work hard I don't think it counts as success.) Coming from the guy that has spent countless hours bragging about how he's never tried at anything.
He thinks the working class are fat stupid slobs, but he also venerates them for being the true heroes.

JamesTC

My eyes are literally husks of dust from crying all my tears of sadness. Ricky has done it again.

Mobius

Rich Uncle Skeleton

incidentally the number or minutes it took to write series 3.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 02, 2022, 11:25:07 PMIt's telling that Gervais put so much onus on how uneducated or uncurious Karl is whilst proudly announcing he's never read a book himself, as well as the entire premise of An Idiot Abroad despite the fact that Gervais seems to have seldom left the UK or USA.

Interesting. I knew he'd claimed to have never read a book (poor Jane Fallon) but I hadn't given the travel thing any thought until now. Has he even toured outside the UK or US? I wouldn't expect him to have been like Eddie Izzard and done tours in 50  countries and 70 languages or something, but surely he's toured a few more English-speaking countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand?

...hmmmm, apparently not Australia, even despite the demand from a sizable fanbase there:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/youre-not-selling-it-to-me-why-ricky-gervais-wont-come-to-aus-32187553.html

QuoteFans of Ricky Gervais have been lamenting for years that The Office star won't visit Australia.

Well, now we know why.

"It's a long way, innit?" Gervais told Sunday Night.

"I mean, if you knew how lazy I was."

"I thought Branson was sorting out a thing that shoots you into space and you come down two hours later? When's that going to happen? I can afford that now."

But it's not all laziness — he insisted he loves Aussies but Australia was also far too dangerous for him.

"You've got the most dangerous spiders... snakes... jellyfish, sharks, and you walk around in flip-flops!"

It's a common view that was not helped by reporter Alex Cullen's knowledge of funnel web spiders.

"You know with a funnel web, its 'teeth' will go through your toenail," Cullen said in the interview.

"This is my point," Gervais said, "I don't want to hear that that creature exists. I don't want to hear that as a fact."

"Honestly, you're not selling it to me."

You'd think someone who claims to be an animal lover and curious about science, nature, human behaviour etc would be a bit more curious and eager to explore the world, wouldn't you?

As for all that stuff about Australia being full of poisonous things and everyone wearing flip-flops- that's just a lazy generalisation (that the Aussies must be absolutely sick of hearing). The blurb for An Idiot Abroad describes "the close-minded (sic) and simple Karl Pilkington" but I doubt KP would come out with something as clichéd and ignorant as that.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 03, 2022, 02:29:08 PM"You've got the most dangerous spiders... snakes... jellyfish, sharks, and you walk around in flip-flops!"

Robbed that one off Karl as well.

QuoteBox jellyfish, crocodiles, snakes , blue-ring octopuses, redback spiders, funnel-web spiders, great white sharks. Just some of the reasons that put me off going to Australia.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 03, 2022, 02:29:08 PMbut I doubt KP would come out with something as clichéd and ignorant as that.

Eh...

Blue Jam

The Bumlord

paruses

Bit of a hate read here if you're so inclined. Looks like this series is going to be another barnstormer with the fans. Admittedly I haven't read all the article yet - it might end with "of course, I believe the opposite of everything I've just written" - but it honestly beggars belief how people can buy into this boring, pedestrian rubbish.

https://awardswatch.com/after-life-season-3-review-the-right-balance-of-cringe-and-compassion-makes-for-a-sweet-and-satisfying-finale-grade-a/

I had forgotten that the nurse turns up at the end of S2 and basically says "I will change the way I live and what I want for you, kind Tony. You are the kindest and best of men". Nuts.

I hope the dog in the photo started to mount him shortly after. Not in a funny anecdote way, but in a sad and savage way where the handler looks on and says "he's in now. We'll just have to let him finish"

mjwilson

As someone who hasn't watched the show, I can't help but be amazed by this sentence from the review:
QuoteFor those hoping for a return of Tom Bennett as "The Nonce," you will be happy to know that Gervais does find a fitting way to revive this fan favorite from season two...

gotmilk

Quote from: paruses on January 04, 2022, 07:55:52 PMBut of a hate read here if you're so inclined. Looks like this series is going to be another barnstormer with the fans. Admittedly I haven't read all the article yet - it might end with "of course, I believe the opposite of everything I've just written" - but it honestly beggars belief how people can buy into this boring, pedestrian rubbish.

https://awardswatch.com/after-life-season-3-review-the-right-balance-of-cringe-and-compassion-makes-for-a-sweet-and-satisfying-finale-grade-a/

The review has the Gervais seal of approval on Twitter: "This is one of the best interpretations of #AfterLife I've ever read. Cheers."

Interpretation? The show is hardly Twin Peaks. The review basically regurgitates exactly what every After Life fan says, and in the same clumsy writing style. I try not to be condescending about other people's tastes, but is it a coincidence that every person who likes the show sounds a bit thick?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: mjwilson on January 04, 2022, 08:45:51 PMAs someone who hasn't watched the show, I can't help but be amazed by this sentence from the review:

"For those hoping for a return of Tom Bennett as "The Nonce," you will be happy to know that Gervais does find a fitting way to revive this fan favorite from season two..."

Lol! "Keep watching ;-)"

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: gotmilk on January 04, 2022, 09:16:34 PMInterpretation? The show is hardly Twin Peaks.

Kerry Godliman's floating head in the river was one of the most Lynchian things I've ever seen, to be fair.

Mr Farenheit

Not sure if this says more about me than him but Ricky Gervais liked my tweets

QuoteI was inspired by #Afterlife to call out some fat ginger kids at the local primary school. Should have seen their faces🤣🤣
The headmaster was raging but I called him a stupid c**t and he had NO ANSWER to that one😂😂😂

QuoteCan't wait for #AfterLife3 My dad's in a nursing home and I've been terrorising the staff with some #afterlife and #derek inspired stuff- CUM BUCKET, COCK OF A CHINAMAN etc He's cracking up and the nurses (angels) know its all in good fun!

BritishHobo

Blue Jam

Saw a fuckload of adverts for this in London, including a massive one at Waterloo station. No expense spared.

frajer

Woman drinks self to death after Gervais won't stop visiting the bench she apparently lives on

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on January 02, 2022, 10:54:45 PMGervais would call him an idiot on air and you could dismiss it as banter. Then Gervais marketed Karl's first television show as "An Idiot Abroad" and you got the increasing sense that Gervais thought the world was laughing at Karl and genuinely thought his appeal was his "stupidity". People love Karl because he has an original and funny comic mind
I think I've said this on CaB before: I don't believe Karl is actually stupid enough to think a couple of chimps are capable of founding and managing a health spa, but I do think it's possible Gervais is actually stupid enough to believe Karl is actually stupid enough to think a couple of chimps are capable of founding and managing a health spa