Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: frajer on January 12, 2022, 09:27:38 AM

Woman drinks self to death after Gervais won't stop visiting the bench she apparently lives on

Haha, she does live on that bench.

'Sometimes I wish I hadn't said to my dead wife who has been dead for fucking years by this point that there was no such things as angels'

'There are angels. Like really nice kind people eg nurses.

'Yeah, they're not actually angels are they?'

idunnosomename

Looking forward to absolutely sort of cry my eyes out at this

The Ombudsman

FWIW, I always thought Karl's early life stories were true (brother in a tank to get fags, doctor called for old cream cake consumption etc.). Never thought the others genuinely believed he was dunce level stupid. Which is why I always took their comments about people saying he was a scripted character as some sort of double meaning, being it's not scripted, but it is a character.

As others have said, there is no way he could get to the level he was at within XFM if he was as daft as made out. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned upthread, but Adam Buxton spoke a little about this (and I think Richard Bacon?), sort of saying how lovely Karl was and how switched on to radio he was. I think Buxton went over some show plans for their XFM first shows and Karl was like, 'that wont work, don't try so hard' and suggested he was much more dynamic than his Saturday slot persona.

I also agree with others that Sick of it was excellent. So much more imaginative than RG's post Office output. Also a big fan of the Idiots and especially Moaning of Life.

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 12, 2022, 11:11:41 AMLooking forward to absolutely sort of cry my eyes out at this

you're going to laugh, cry, cum and shit yourself at the same time

frajer

Quote from: chveik on January 12, 2022, 03:57:54 PMyou're going to laugh, cry, cum and shit yourself at the same time

Anyone who doesn't is simply not kind. That's just science, and Richard Dawkins agrees so nyeerrrrrrr.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Ombudsman on January 12, 2022, 11:33:02 AMFWIW, I always thought Karl's early life stories were true (brother in a tank to get fags, doctor called for old cream cake consumption etc.)

Oh Christ, that's just reminded me of the story about his dad and the "Forrest Gump people". I think that one would be less funny if it was true, but I always assumed it was exaggerated: https://youtu.be/FknAbmdY5-8

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: TheMonk on January 12, 2022, 09:21:55 AM

There was even a subliminal reference to his disingenuous tweets on the front of the previous week's issue.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 12, 2022, 07:00:00 PMOh Christ, that's just reminded me of the story about his dad and the "Forrest Gump people". I think that one would be less funny if it was true, but I always assumed it was exaggerated: https://youtu.be/FknAbmdY5-8

They are the sort of stories that considering the era they would have occurred, could be totally legit.

Not sure if you have seen this before. Sadly I think he has died.

Edit to say sorry for derailing the thread.

idunnosomename

Quote from: chveik on January 12, 2022, 03:57:54 PMyou're going to laugh, cry, cum and shit yourself at the same time
this looks like it will be master gervais reaching new heights, so i expect to also simultaneously vomit, sweat buckets and prolapse my anus

Bigfella

You're getting your moneys'worth.  That's a hell of a lot to do in one night!

Custard

Out of morbid curiosity, I started watching series one last night.

In the first episode he fat-shames 3 different people. One a schoolkid of about 11 years old

Cuellar

But you've got no right NOT to be offended, so you have to be fine with being called a fat cunt

frajer

Quote from: Custard on January 13, 2022, 04:25:57 PMOut of morbid curiosity, I started watching series one last night.

In the first episode he fat-shames 3 different people. One a schoolkid of about 11 years old

What is your problem with kindness

idunnosomename

Quote from: Bigfella on January 13, 2022, 04:15:12 PMYou're getting your moneys'worth.  That's a hell of a lot to do in one night!
~•°•《 the magic of kindness 》 •°•~

Custard

Joking aside, I think I laughed once. And even then I can't remember what it was. I think it was the lazy postman being called Pat.

But bloody ell, it's so dour. I know, his lovely wife has gone died, but it's so downbeat it's almost unwatchable. Like you shouldn't be entertained by watching this man's abject misery. And I wasn't. But I don't think that was the aim.

The fat shaming stuff is really ridiculous though, and it's constant. CaB favourite Tony Way being constantly called fat, greedy, Shrek, etc. When he's clearly thinner than Gervais anyway!

It's not funny, or inventive, it's just mean-spirited and outright bullying. Hopefully Way will tell him to fuck right off, like Brent did to Finchy that time...

dead-ced-dead

I do think there's some self-loathing for Gervais' own body. He has a very weird thing about fat people that goes way beyond the dated-giggling-Uncle-Phil jokes from Fresh Prince, which are grating today but are more juvenile than mean spirited.

frajer

Yeah the relentless fat jokes, especially against Tony Way's character, are both really lazy and unnecessarily venomous. And the fact that Gervais is clearly far from svelte but no-one ever mentions this makes does make his obsession very odd.

If an overweight supposed mate was relentlessly calling you fat, at some point you'd at least throw back a "have you looked in the mirror lately?" But then this is After Life, where Gervais is the equivalent of the monster boy in The Twilight Zone who all the adults have to unquestioningly obey or he'll twist reality to kill them.

BritishHobo

There was definitely at least one moment in every single episode that series, as well. He kept coming up with more and more fat characters to draw Tony's ire, every episode. Truly odd in its obsessiveness.

I didn't bother with series 2, but I could believe it has a similar rate of 'disgusting fat person' moments.

I may watch episode 1 of series 3, guess how it's going to end, then watch the last episode to see if I'm right. Can't be bothered with all the shit in the middle.

Ferris

Final episode preddo:

Dog dies, he is distraught and going to do something drastic until he finally gets together with Ashley jensens character, final shot of the series is a drone shot pulling away from both of them holding hands on The Bench By Old Wife's Grave, sad happy piano music plays. Think the ending of Nathan For You's "Finding Frances" episode, but played entirely straight.

Credit sequence is a photo of their wedding with all the audience favourites (Gittins, Keith from the office, etc) in the wedding party.

I have never watched a single episode but feel very confident about my prediction.

Blue Jam

My preddo: Bench Widow dies with no next of kin to arrange the funeral. Because he is so kind Tony arranges it and pays for it all. Ashley Jensen is so impressed with his kindness that she kisses him. Clever cut to Tony kissing his bride at their wedding in the exact same church. The end.

idunnosomename

Dog dies, Ricky goes insane with grief, fucks its corpse everyday, till it bursts from being full of cum. Audience cries and laughs at the same time. Incredible

BritishHobo

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 06:20:56 PMMy preddo: Bench Widow dies with no next of kin to arrange the funeral. Because he is so kind Tony arranges it and pays for it all. Ashley Jensen is so impressed with his kindness that she kisses him. Clever cut to Tony kissing his bride at their wedding in the exact same church. The end.

Definitely 100% got to be a shot of Bench Widow's grave next to her husband's - or her name engraved on the same stone. Finally reunited. Twitter weeps.

Dr Rock

dead-ced-dead

Can we all agree that Penelope Wilton (as well as a lot of the other supporting cast) is too good for this shit? I sincerely hope she's being well paid for this.

SpiderChrist

Two of my best friends like this.
They are not stupid people.
Think I might need new best friends.

Never watched it myself. The Office was alright, when Gervais wasn't on screen, but Extras was fucking dogshit and I haven't bothered with anything the cunt has done since.

"Ooh you should give it a go, you might like it" but I don't want to and shut up now please.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 13, 2022, 08:16:09 PMThe Office was alright, when Gervais wasn't on screen

So you liked about 27 isolated minutes of The Office in total? Gervais was brilliant in The Office, and it would've been nice if he'd just left it at that.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 13, 2022, 08:23:12 PMSo you liked about 27 isolated minutes of The Office in total? Gervais was brilliant in The Office, and it would've been nice if he'd just left it at that.

Ok it was something of an exaggeration.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 13, 2022, 08:16:09 PMTwo of my best friends like this.
They are not stupid people.
Think I might need new best friends.

Never watched it myself. The Office was alright, when Gervais wasn't on screen, but Extras was fucking dogshit and I haven't bothered with anything the cunt has done since.

"Ooh you should give it a go, you might like it" but I don't want to and shut up now please.

If you kill your friends you might meet someone #kind on a bench by their graves.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley