Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

JamesTC

Would be great if this ends with Ricky Gervais breaking character in order to burst a puppy with his cock and then Kerry Godliman walks on and says "I wasn't dead actually" and then some child gets called a fat cunt after no provocation.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

phes

Not sure I can stomach a third go-round. A show starring Rickyyyy Gerrrrrrrrrvais, a co-star who literally doesn't have any fucking idea what's going on, a superior actor who has been killed off and turned into a series of terrifying floating heads or fart-on-face You've Been Framed clips to avoid any risk of upstaging Gervais, again, and sixteen assorted plastic wind-up ginger kid, fat bird and nonce toys   

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 06:20:56 PMMy preddo: Bench Widow dies with no next of kin to arrange the funeral. Because he is so kind Tony arranges it and pays for it all. Ashley Jensen is so impressed with his kindness that she kisses him. Clever cut to Tony kissing his bride at their wedding in the exact same church. The end.

I'd like to incorporate that into my own preddo, plus a weak gag about Dead Wife & the (now Graved) Bench Widow "getting to meet" or "wonder how they're getting along" or something.

neardark

His wife is still alive and locked in his basement. He kills the dog and feeds it to her.

BritishHobo

I've watched episode 1. I don't really understand why Tony is still such a miserable cunt.
Spoiler alert
His brother-in-law asks him round for dinner, and he's such a miserable prick about it. Then he goes and he's awkward and spiky about everything, and then rudely fucks off and abandons Ashley Jensen there. That's got nothing to do with his dead wife or his shit moral crusade. It's just him being awful.
[close]

I don't get why
Spoiler alert
Ashley Jensen is bothering with him. There's nothing likable or interesting about him, he's a mopey bastard, he treats her like an annoyance that he doesn't want around. Instead he keeps on watching videos of Cancer Wife. It's a bit like the later Paranormal Activity films, where they seem to have kept filming everything for no clear reason.
[close]

Anyway, it was just dull. There was no real point to it. Trot out the same old characters to do their bits, while Tony trudges on. The only vaguely engaging bit was Brian Gittins and his mate talking about Brian doing stand-up, and that's only because it reminds me of his real-life stand-up, which I love.

There's no real substance there to make a decent prediction of how it'll end. There's some vague hints that he might think about spirituality a bit, that'll be a laugh. I guess
Spoiler alert
he moves on from Cancer Wife, lets the Angel Nurse into his heart, and learns for the ten millionth time that it's nice to be nice to people. Cue dull montage of Joe Wilkinson and Diane Morgan and whoever else looking happy. Like I said back with series 1, it's not mad enough like Derek to anything properly demented at the end, like Brian fucking Bench Widow while Tony sits next to them cradling the body of his dead dog.
[close]

Sticking the finale on now. The last ever episode of beloved show "After Life". What a journey we've been on.

BritishHobo

Cancer Wife's Brother: Tony, it's okay to admit you're nice. You've always cared.

Bench Widow: Tony, you're my angel.

Oh FUCK OFF

JamesTC

BritishHobo

Oh he's doing a fucking speech about how actually being kind is good. It's the real superpower.

WE KNOW, TONY, WE ALL WENT TO NURSERY

JamesTC

The Taliban have all seen After Life and have decided to knock it on the head. Bravo!

olliebean

He's posted the first 3 minutes of episode 1, in case anyone was wondering how far in you have to go to get a montage set to one of Ricky's favourite songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ePVOGIFqQ (the answer is one minute).

BritishHobo

Episode 6:
Spoiler alert
Why is Tony explaining to the woman at the Dog's Trust how good dogs are?
[close]

idunnosomename

I cried one big tear out of my arse. Laid it like a big salty egg. Ricky, you've done it again

BritishHobo

Absolute shit that was. Waste of time.

Spoiler alert
It's exactly the kind of thing I would have written at 15. A big ending where everyone in the self-insert character's life is happy because of his influence, and then he walks away and leaves them to it, all noble in his solitude and sadness, yeah?

Vague ambiguous implication of the dog dying further down the line, and then Tony after that, but all done in a crap little moment at the end. SHIT.
[close]

JamesTC

All of the tears have left my body so now all I have left is blood and cum which are flowing down my face. I can't believe Gervais has managed it.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 14, 2022, 10:30:04 AMAbsolute shit that was. Waste of time.

Spoiler alert
It's exactly the kind of thing I would have written at 15. A big ending where everyone in the self-insert character's life is happy because of his influence, and then he walks away and leaves them to it, all noble in his solitude and sadness, yeah?

Vague ambiguous implication of the dog dying further down the line, and then Tony after that, but all done in a crap little moment at the end. SHIT.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Sounds like the end of every episode of The Incredible Hulk. Does a sad piano play?
[close]

dead-ced-dead

I resent Gervais using Sufjan Stevens' The Only Thing to close out season two. The Only Thing handles suicide and self harm sensitively and from a personal level and doesn't deserve to have Gervais infecting it with his banality.

Sorry for getting on my high horse everyone.

BritishHobo

Brian Gittins
Spoiler alert
gets fake-bummed by a Finchy-type while in some stocks at a fair. Brent's mate from the Brent film is rubbing his arse in Brian's face. Then Brian's ex-wife and her new boyfriend Gypsy something come along and beat them up. In a moment shot like a genuine emotional climax for the character, Brian says this is the lowest his life has ever been, even lower than when he sucked off a man(!!!) in a carpark. Then he goes for a coffee for a woman so it's alright.
[close]

Which, thinking about it, is pretty much the exact same as how the Brent movie ends. Although in that instance  Brent is the one engaging in horrible blokey behaviour with his mate, and the Finchy type is the one who (rightfully) tells him to pack it in.

Custard

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 14, 2022, 10:04:30 AMOh he's doing a fucking speech about how actually being kind is good. It's the real superpower.

WE KNOW, TONY, WE ALL WENT TO NURSERY

But this is what I don't understand. It's only his character going around being a rude cunt to everyone!

I don't understand things anymore

toetoe

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 14, 2022, 10:04:30 AMOh he's doing a fucking speech about how actually being kind is good. It's the real superpower.

WE KNOW, TONY, WE ALL WENT TO NURSERY HATE WATCHED DEREK

frajer

I can't remember who (someone on a podcast, or someone here maybe?) described Gervais as having the mentality of a Sixth Form student who's just opened his first philosophy book and truly thinks he's blowing people's minds, but it's spot fucking on.

The squint and furrowed brow and little dramatic pauses he inserts when he Ricksplains the most basic of human concepts is so ludicrous.

"That's the thing though... Kindness... it's all we have. All we have is each other... in the end. So why not be kind? And it doesn't take money. Even a dog knows to be kind (ruffles dog's head). So if anyone... can be kind... then everyone... should be kind."

Fucking rotten to the core.

My mate rescued a Staffy cross (kind) but it's off its fucking head and tries to kill all other similar sized mammals and lurches at children (not kind).

Checkmate, Gervais.

Jumblegraws

Has there ever been some sort of reference or easter egg in After Life that implies it's set in the same fictional universe as Derek? Beyond having exactly the same clunking philosophy, I mean

Ferris

Quote from: frajer on January 14, 2022, 11:30:50 AM"That's the thing though... Kindness... it's all we have. All we have is each other... in the end. So why not be kind? And it doesn't take money. Even a dog knows to be kind (ruffles dog's head). So if anyone... can be kind... then everyone... should be kind."

Could be made up to make point about how bad the writing is, could be the gervais-penned closing monologue.

The duality of Rick.

Tony Yeboah

There's an article in the Telegraph that includes this: 'Gervais came to stand up proper after he was famous; the first joke of his first full length show was a snide dig at a less successful comedian called Jeff Green.' Does anyone remember the joke?

Ferris

Gervais' first joke? Reminds me of a classic Rick moment...

[failed_high_five_with_Chris_rock.gif]

Blue Jam

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 14, 2022, 10:43:18 AMBrian Gittins
Spoiler alert
gets fake-bummed by a Finchy-type while in some stocks at a fair. Brent's mate from the Brent film is rubbing his arse in Brian's face. Then Brian's ex-wife and her new boyfriend Gypsy something come along and beat them up. In a moment shot like a genuine emotional climax for the character, Brian says this is the lowest his life has ever been, even lower than when he sucked off a man(!!!) in a carpark. Then he goes for a coffee for a woman so it's alright.
[close]

While your description makes it sound Derke-level mental, I bet Gervais somehow managed to make all that quite blisteringly dull to watch.

Blue Jam

Just looked at the episode descriptions on Netflix. One of them features a character visiting a psychic. Don't tell me, does Tony DESTROY the psychic with REASON and LOGIC?

Blue Jam

The Ricky Gervais subreddit really is a breath of fresh air: