Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

That Land Rover that Ricky threw his cactus at at the end of Ep1 was far too close to the Zebra Crossing when Ricky reached it for it to be expected to stop in time to let him cross. Everything else was great. Another triumph from Gervais.

QuoteChatting to RadioTimes.com about why he chose to end the show in that way, Gervais said: "The fair is important because it's been going for 500 years. It's a place where people have been going for 500 years, different people. And the ending is saying that we all die, but not today. And life goes on. That's what that ending is."

Gervais added: "I think it's a good ending, I think it's a hopeful ending, and I think it's a real ending. And it's just saying, that was that. What's next? Because the whole show is all about endings and beginnings. It's all about people thrown together randomly.

As deep as a puddle.

idunnosomename

Ricky's gone RT mad today, as his fans weep when his chubby finger does a like on their insane praise about how it made them leak from every orifice

very normal behavior

Blue Jam

It's got a great rating on Rotten Tomatoes:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/after_life/s03

Spoiler alert
for the audience score
[close]

idunnosomename

Hitler was popular too.

Please someone kill baby Gervais.

BritishHobo

Quote from: wrec on January 15, 2022, 12:30:17 PMI did a Twitter search to see if anyone I was following was praising it or him in general. There was only one, who ironically is recovering from cancer. Unfollowed.

(PS it was someone I followed for a political thing years ago, who didn't follow or ever engage with me and won't even notice. I'm not a monster!)

Curious as to what actually happens in the end and don't want to subject myself to a hatewatch. Can someone do a detailed spoiler?

Spoiler alert
Tony meets a cancer kid with the same name as his cancer wife, and this is supposed to spark a realisation about his behaviour,
although it's not clear what this is, as he's had realisations about his behaviour in basically every episode, and he doesn't actually appear to act any differently  after this occurs. He then goes to a village fete where all the other characters are, and they all have a lovely day, but it's not really because of him, even though it feels like the show thinks it is. It's sort-of played that he pairs up all the lonely female characters with lonely male characters, but it's all so half-hearted it doesn't really matter. Anyway, he leaves the fair, gives Tony Way a sad salute that implies "I'm off to kill myself", and wanders across a field. The ghost of Cancer Wife appears and they walk hand-in-hand, until she fades away. They keep walking, and then the dog fades away, and then Tony. All dead, happy ending.
[close]

BritishHobo

Thinking about it, absolutely nothing appears to have happened in the final series. I can't see that anything has changed or developed since series 1, just repeats of the same overwrought speeches about kindness. The finale is just a jumble of vague 'nice' bits. I can't see how anything he says in that Radio Times quote is borne out in the episode itself.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 15, 2022, 03:48:59 PMThinking about it, absolutely nothing appears to have happened in the final series. I can't see that anything has changed or developed since series 1, just repeats of the same overwrought speeches about kindness. The finale is just a jumble of vague 'nice' bits. I can't see how anything he says in that Radio Times quote is borne out in the episode itself.

Has so little ever happened in 18 episodes of TV before?

Apart from 'saving' the paper (by talking about his dead wife?!?) and facilitating the death of a junkie Tony could have just slit his wrists in the opening scene of the first episode of the first series.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the entire show has just been one big money laundering scheme/way to get him and his pals a nice pay day. A bit like Adam Sandler films.

They've definitely not put the money on screen as it looks like an airbrushed episode of Doctors.

paruses

The thing about Adam Sandler films though is that they are really popular in Germany (or Poland or somewhere) like how Norman Wisdom was massive in Albania and Jerry Lewis in France. This is just nothing. Have nearly got through all 6 eps as have fuck all to do today but it's so boring.

I think you're posts have been dead on @BritishHobo - and agree he could have just killed himself in the first episode and there wouldn't have been much of a chaos theory ripple through this weird universe.

The Tim Key bit is good. Apart from two excellent performers it also feels like it was written by someone else.

dead-ced-dead

And at least Adam Sandler pulls out a Punch Drunk Love or Uncut Gems occasionally.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on January 15, 2022, 03:30:21 PMAs deep as a puddle.

It's weird the way he's always explaining what everything means in his shows despite them hardly meaning anything at all. Compare him to David Lynch whose work is almost inscrutable and ask him what it means, he won't tell you, it's up to your interpretation.

Gervais is now all about half assed, or quarter assed shows, loads of interviews explaining everything despite that not being required, social media engagement and retweets and having loads of money and as many awards as possible. Then bragging about the money and awards.

If his younger self saw this he'd be horrified. Derek and After Life are basically sad, depressing versions of When The Whistle Blows. In Extras when Gervais goes into the BBC to talk about the show they're developing and they have ideas to broaden it and Ricky talks about auteurs and a single person's vision, you know that's his personal belief. What happened to that?

I think Ricky got famous pretty much at his first try. The Office was his first real go at scripted comedy and became like a billion dollar industry and cultural touchstone, almost single handedly popularising the docucomedy genre. It's interesting that this basically broke his brain completely but Merchant seemed to maintain some sort of normalcy. Maybe because Mercant wasn't invited over to America to be fellated by Matt Groening and Larry David had some bearing on it. Or maybe some people's minds aren't well equipped for fame.

I do have a small bit of sympathy though, I think fame, particularly mega fame, is not normal and it can take an extraordinary mind not to get caught in the trap fame can present. Thousands of people vying for your attention and saying what a genius you are. It's enough to warp anyone's brain.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on January 15, 2022, 04:34:48 PMAnd at least Adam Sandler pulls out a Punch Drunk Love or Uncut Gems occasionally.

I just meant those from his production company that star the same list of his mates and cost millions but look incredibly cheap and are zero effort.

You just wonder where the money's gone.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on January 15, 2022, 03:30:21 PMIt's all about people thrown together randomly

I agree with Gervais here. The script is similarly assembled.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on January 15, 2022, 03:59:53 PMway to get him and his pals a nice pay day

That's why Wilton did this. All she has to do is sit on a bench and mumble out a few lines and she probably gets fifty or a hundred grand for doing it. None of the non Tony characters really have to do anything because none of their characters are explored in any way. Any time a supporting character interacts with Tony the entire scene is Tony talking about Tony and his deceased wife. It does fuck all for the quality of the show but it's an easy gig.

Blue Jam

I have wondered if the comedians in this like Diane Morgan, Paul Kaye, Tim Key etc are hoping they'll get noticed and get a Netflix stand-up special out of this. Fair play to 'em, it'd be the least they deserved.

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 15, 2022, 03:44:35 PM
Spoiler alert
Tony meets a cancer kid with the same name as his cancer wife, and this is supposed to spark a realisation about his behaviour,
although it's not clear what this is, as he's had realisations about his behaviour in basically every episode, and he doesn't actually appear to act any differently  after this occurs. He then goes to a village fete where all the other characters are, and they all have a lovely day, but it's not really because of him, even though it feels like the show thinks it is. It's sort-of played that he pairs up all the lonely female characters with lonely male characters, but it's all so half-hearted it doesn't really matter. Anyway, he leaves the fair, gives Tony Way a sad salute that implies "I'm off to kill myself", and wanders across a field. The ghost of Cancer Wife appears and they walk hand-in-hand, until she fades away. They keep walking, and then the dog fades away, and then Tony. All dead, happy ending.
[close]

...so, he's seen the first episode of This Country but had no idea why it's so great? Or how it was influenced by his good early stuff?

(cheers BH. Might still have to watch it though to see how something which sounds so mental is inevitably actually boring)

Jockice

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 02:10:36 PMThat review posted by @sevendaughters a few posts up is definitely worth a read if anyone skipped it. A highlight:

I've actually never watched After Life but that review makes me want to

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 15, 2022, 04:51:49 PMThat's why Wilton did this. All she has to do is sit on a bench and mumble out a few lines and she probably gets fifty or a hundred grand for doing it. None of the non Tony characters really have to do anything because none of their characters are explored in any way. Any time a supporting character interacts with Tony the entire scene is Tony talking about Tony and his deceased wife. It does fuck all for the quality of the show but it's an easy gig.

Yeah. Win/win for the supporting cast. Look at the actress who played Sandy (had to look that up). I remember when I saw the first episode I foolishly gave Gervais too much credit and thought it might turn out to be her story as much as Tony's as the show went on and that they would help each other blah blah blah but of course not. That would involve character development. Instead, she wasn't so much one dimensional as barely even there at all, existing purely to serve the Tony character and spend most of the time sat in the background looking slightly confused what she was actually doing there. But easy work. Nice one for the CV. And a decent pay cheque. Zero effort.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: Jockice on January 15, 2022, 05:35:53 PMI've actually never watched After Life but that review makes me want to

Wasn't going to watch S3 at all but the temptation for a hate watch is strong.

S1 is just about stupid and odd enough to make it entertaining. There are some really clunky moments that are far funnier than the intended comedy. The drugs episode is hilariously bad.

S2 is one of the most turgid series of any TV show ever made. Nothing happens.

shlug

Got up to episode 2 and there's a scene where they're viewing some awful shoebox studio flat and couldn't help but be reminded of a very similar scene in the Extras Christmas special with Maggie viewing some dingy flat.

Difference is the Extras one was actually somewhat moving and well produced, even with a bit where the agent shows his racial prejudice which is played for a bit of a laugh.

In After Life the scene is almost a carbon copy but simply magnitudes shitter in every way. It's not poignant or entertaining, acting is lifeless and the scene (much like most I've seen so far) don't advance the "story" in any way. The agent makes a not so subtle joke about the woman's weight by implying there's a lot of takeaways (complete with motion towards her physique (because she is fat)) paralleling the racist agent from the former but After Life is so removed from how anyone behaves it comes across more bizarre and jarring than an ironic take of estate agents being shit people.

It's a sad indictment of his progressively lazy writing and the unspoken influence of Merchant in the quality control department. How anyone can watch both iterations of the same scene and think After Life's is better is baffling.

Ferris

Blimey the fun police are out today.

I made the time to sit down and watch it, and found it an engaging and thoughtful piece of work. Is it as strong as the Office? No, but how could it be. What After Life actually does do is a understated sense of poignancy, and is at its strongest focusing on small moments of recognizable, human, empathetic character in all of its parts and no I can't write like this any more it is absolute shit. Like watching a fermenting dog egg, but in sepia.

shlug

I just didn't like that scene in particular, no need to be mean :(

As the great philosopher Ricky Gervais once said "be kind, you cunt"

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ferris on January 15, 2022, 06:13:28 PMBlimey the fun police are out today.

I made the time to sit down and watch it, and found it an engaging and thoughtful piece of work. Is it as strong as the Office? No, but how could it be. What After Life actually does do is a understated sense of poignancy, and is at its strongest focusing on small moments of recognizable, human, empathetic character in all of its parts and no I can't write like this any more it is absolute shit. Like watching a fermenting dog egg, but in sepia.

You had me going for a bit.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 14, 2022, 11:37:31 PMWhile I agree with the above critiques about the nastiness, laziness etc I also like the programme. Series 1 came out soon after my husband died and though I kinda disliked Gervais and thought some of his work was abysmal I had a look and both series 1 and series 2 were really helpful to watch from this widow's point of view.

Sorry to hear that. Well, I'm glad to hear it was helpful but sorry to hear that... you know what I mean.

paruses

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 15, 2022, 04:57:15 PMI have wondered if the comedians in this like Diane Morgan, Paul Kaye, Tim Key etc are hoping they'll get noticed and get a Netflix stand-up special out of this. Fair play to 'em, it'd be the least they deserved.

(cheers BH. Might still have to watch it though to see how something which sounds so mental is inevitably actually boring)

I assumed that's why the younger people are in it. I assumed Penelope Wilton and Paul Egan either have massive gambling debts to pay off or it was just piss easy money. I can't blame any of them, I'd do the same and this rubbish was getting made regardless. I would recommend you put it on in the background though unless you have the time to waste. This would just to be a completist.

Bits that made me laugh -
- the found footage of him with the punch bag. I imagine he was all Raging Bull in his head but he looked like one of those repo men on a Channel 5 programme who, despite being 50 "train MMA" in their spare time.
- the racket sport madness. Would love to know why that had to go in there. Absolutely didn't need to be there for the Tom Basden plot development. The tennis was particularly funny.
- the continued assault on James Cordon via a proxy (all because of that impression he did - which is really good)
- I genuinely laughed at the camp theatre agent and his Taxi Driver number. Another bit that really felt like it had been written by someone else or at least in collaboration with someone else.
- The final shot of Tony waddling away. Once he's on his own in the shot you can't miss that he is a tubby little man.

Spoiler alert
One thing that pleased me was despite Tony clearly thinking "I did all this" at the end of the fair sequence, what people would remember of him when he's brought up in conversation as "remember that bloke who killed himself" would be: "oh yea him. Killed his dog too didn't he? No need for that".
[close]

checkoutgirl

QuoteSeries 3 was.... incredibly moving, savagely funny and a stunning achievement for this generations finest comedy actor/writer/director
QuoteJust watched series three . All characters are fabulous and down to earth just like real life . Cried my eyes out on series three but with happiness where Ricky sought had put all the characters together with happy endings .
QuoteMy favourite is Tony's mate who just gets called shrek all day 🤣

QuoteIt's a sad indictment of his progressively lazy writing and the unspoken influence of Merchant in the quality control department. How anyone can watch both iterations of the same scene and think After Life's is better is baffling

I noticed another thing lifted from Extras. When he's sat on the bench, the widow tells a story where she gets upset that she didn't laugh at a shit joke her husband made. Extremely similar to the Extras Xmas special where Gervais in the Big Brother house gets upset that he dismissed Maggies 'would you rather' question.

olliebean

So many forum posts about something so insubstantial.

paruses

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 15, 2022, 04:45:12 PMIf his younger self saw this he'd be horrified. Derek and After Life are basically sad, depressing versions of When The Whistle Blows. In Extras when Gervais goes into the BBC to talk about the show they're developing and they have ideas to broaden it and Ricky talks about auteurs and a single person's vision, you know that's his personal belief. What happened to that?

I think Gervais has not understood that there is a difference between a single person's vision and having an editor or script consultant. That's very different from having a big writer's room or rewrites based on focus groups. It's ironic (maybe) that his insistence on one person's vision has produced something that could have been really good (it wouldn't have been The Office, but the premise of After Life is sound I think) has turned out to more like When The Whistle Blows.

Just remembered I got excited when I thought that the first estate agent was Nick Mohammed.