Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:37:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: JamesTC on January 17, 2022, 10:11:04 AMWhat if all Gervais characters come to life like League of Gentlemen Apocalypse?

Would be great having David Brent show Derek the dance that he does.

I find it jarring on the couple of occasions when Brent showed up on the US Office.

Jumblegraws

I forced myself to sit through the season 1 episode where Tony tries smoking smack because accounts of the "Rocketman" sequence sounded funny.

One thing that struck me was how often Tony seems to care about what other people think, even though the notion of his not caring anymore is a central conceit of the show. He makes a right fuss over the junkie showing up at his house in front of his bro-in-law, more than I would have and I don't have the "superpower" of constant suicidal ideation.

After Life "Hope Is Everything" benches .

https://www.thecalmzone.net/afterlife/

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ricky Gervais"After Life let people talk about grief, and it was so good to start the conversation."

I mean.

The Bumlord

paruses

For someone who comes across as so asexual, he seems very obsessed with sex and how distasteful it is. There isn't any slut shaming as such, the attitude just seems like it's from the mind of a not very confident 14 year old boy (if my recollection of being a 14 year old boy is accurate - and it is). The whole "prozzie" sneering jarred. I am glad that Roisin Conaty didn't stay on in that role. I suppose she would have been an incumbrance when all you need to say is "prozzie" and mime some thrusting for the jokes to work.

SpiderChrist

Yeah nobody was ever allowed to talk about grief before this show emerged stinking from Gervais' anus. I remember going to bereavement counselling and all the woman said to me was "Please stop talking about your grief". Thank goodness things are now changing.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: paruses on January 17, 2022, 11:37:07 AMFor someone who comes across as so asexual, he seems very obsessed with sex and how distasteful it is. There isn't any slut shaming as such, the attitude just seems like it's from the mind of a not very confident 14 year old boy (if my recollection of being a 14 year old boy is accurate - and it is). The whole "prozzie" sneering jarred. I am glad that Roisin Conaty didn't stay on in that role. I suppose she would have been an incumbrance when all you need to say is "prozzie" and mime some thrusting for the jokes to work.

I noticed that too when Tony interviews the swingers in season 3. They seemed like a nice couple, but like all the interview bits, there was a sense of sneering. I was sitting there thinking, "what's the problem? They seem like a lovely couple."

Blue Jam

I had similar feelings about the breast milk rice pudding woman in series 1, a bit of a sense of "Urghhh, pregnancy and childbirth and women's bodies are a bit disgusting aren't they? Look at this disgusting freak, why is she proud when she should be ashamed of her disgusting secretions and vaginal yeast?". She seemed pretty harmless and nice and polite and it wasn't like she was forcing anyone to eat her wares (and Tony Way's character even seemed to enjoy them).

It just reminded me of that whole militant childfree thing and how so much of that seems to be misogynistic disgust at mothers and pregnant women, or 14-year-old Redditors ranting about how gross women's bodies are. Obviously we all know Gervais is childfree by choice but it seemed so adolescent, he actually gags at several points and looks like he might pass out:

How would someone this sneery and misanthropic ever be considered for a job as a human interest journalist? Why would they even apply for such a job? Again, it's just lazy writing.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2022, 12:09:13 PMI had similar feelings about the breast milk rice pudding woman in series 1, a bit of a sense of "Urghhh, pregnancy and childbirth and women's bodies are a bit disgusting aren't they? Look at this disgusting freak, why is she proud when she should be ashamed of her disgusting secretions and vaginal yeast?". She seemed pretty harmless and nice and polite and it wasn't like she was forcing anyone to eat her wares (and Tony Way's character even seemed to enjoy them).

He's been stewing on that one for years. Or is just lazy.

https://youtu.be/GVobFX-A1KU

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Bumlord on January 17, 2022, 12:18:29 PMHe's been stewing on that one for years. Or is just lazy.

https://youtu.be/GVobFX-A1KU

There's a big difference between bringing someone a gift of breast milk rice pudding with a bit of social pressure to eat it (fair enough, that is a bit arrogant) and someone making them on request for people who want to eat them.

Also I'm not sure bread made with C. albicans would even rise. Again, for someone who's supposed to be well into science Gervais is surprisingly uncurious and can't be bothered to do any actual research.

The Ombudsman

Blue Jam

Has he ordered his fans to dogpile onto Hugo Rifkind for his negative review of season 3 in The Times, the way he did with Camilla Long and her negative review of season 1 in The Times?

https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1106850237258350594 (check out those 12 whole replies, none of them abusive)

https://twitter.com/camillalong/status/1107204066877284352?lang=en

I remember a few people accusing her of being like the rice pudding breastmilk woman and probably just an offended snowflake. Definitely not misogynistic, no.

Also I remember this, ranting about an unnamed female journalist making him look bad:

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1107218520906088448

...while he was eerily silent on that Guardian piece by Simon Hattenstone.

TommyTurnips

The breast milk rice pudding is a Gervaisian classic that goes back about 20 years. I remember him mentioning it on room 101 and the xfm radio show. Can't believe he's still recycling that one.

mjwilson

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2022, 12:30:59 PMHas he ordered his fans to dogpile onto Hugo Rifkind for his negative review of season 3 in The Times

Honestly I don't think he would need to.

paruses

Quote from: TommyTurnips on January 17, 2022, 12:34:20 PMThe breast milk rice pudding is a Gervaisian classic that goes back about 20 years. I remember him mentioning it on room 101 and the xfm radio show. Can't believe he's still recycling that one.

Yea - even at the time when I was excited Gervais was on a programme I thought that was unbelievable shit.

BritishHobo

A reply to that Camilla Long tweet:

QuoteJust cancelled my subscription to the Sunday times. Shocking journalism. Feel free to slag off someone you don't like, even tho you are wrong I may add but don't disenfranchise and alienate his fans and tour readers. You know, the ones who pay your wage.

Can you imagine being that precious about something you like?

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2022, 12:09:13 PMI had similar feelings about the breast milk rice pudding woman in series 1, a bit of a sense of "Urghhh, pregnancy and childbirth and women's bodies are a bit disgusting aren't they? Look at this disgusting freak, why is she proud when she should be ashamed of her disgusting secretions and vaginal yeast?"

Gervais finds humans and human bodies in general to be disgusting and annoying. He rants and screams about how he hates seeing and hearing people eat, people who are rude, people making annoying noises, fat people, and lazy people.
At times he acknowledges he is some of these things too, or even brags about it, but he never seems to connect the two and see the hypocrisy.

Agree with the other posters who said Gervais seems kind of sexless or asexual. I'm not saying he is, but he really comes  across that way to me. I recall him even saying in an interview him and Jane don't really do romantic things or celebrate things other couples might. I don't really know what point I'm making here - nothing wrong with it if he is or isn't asexual - but its interesting other people, not just me, get that vibe.

BritishHobo

Gonna pop to the mental health bench later to shout at children that they're tubby little cunts and that if I was a paedo I wouldn't even fuck them.

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 17, 2022, 12:56:38 PMAgree with the other posters who said Gervais seems kind of sexless or asexual.

Ricky GervACE.

Brilliant.

JamesTC

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 17, 2022, 12:57:30 PMGonna pop to the mental health bench later to shout at children that they're tubby little cunts and that if I was a paedo I wouldn't even fuck them.

And everybody walking past will be thinking "BritishHobo is such a kind man. He is so kind with his kindness".

TommyTurnips

Quote from: paruses on January 17, 2022, 12:53:02 PMYea - even at the time when I was excited Gervais was on a programme I thought that was unbelievable shit.

I'm trying to work out if I would be annoyed about something like that so long after it happened, but then also there's the fact that this didn't even happen to Gervais, it was a friend of his that got offered the rice pudding. He's still annoyed on someone else's behalf that this friend of his got offered a breast milk rice pudding about 20 years ago.

Fascinating man.

phes

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 17, 2022, 12:56:38 PMGervais finds humans and human bodies in general to be disgusting and annoying. He rants and screams about how he hates seeing and hearing people eat, people who are rude, people making annoying noises, fat people, and lazy people.
At times he acknowledges he is some of these things too, or even brags about it, but he never seems to connect the two and see the hypocrisy.

Again, it's weird that someone supposedly fascinated by science and nature is so grossed out by bodily functions. Admittedly I am writing this as a morbid nerd who loves pathology museums and works with human tissue for a living, but to be that grossed out by something as mundane as breast feeding? Does he freak out every time he needs to go for a piss? Does the sound of his own eating as it reverberates through his head drive him up the wall? Personally I hate sniffing so I'm with him on that one but the rest seems like such ridiculously uptight and curmudgeonly behaviour.

Bit bemused by the whole transgender thing too isn't he? I wonder if he's a bit like Donald Trump and just feels a bit of fear and distaste over all things bodily and medical.

QuoteAgree with the other posters who said Gervais seems kind of sexless or asexual. I'm not saying he is, but he really comes  across that way to me. I recall him even saying in an interview him and Jane don't really do romantic things or celebrate things other couples might. I don't really know what point I'm making here - nothing wrong with it if he is or isn't asexual - but its interesting other people, not just me, get that vibe.

I'm not sure I see that myself but I can definitely see why he doesn't want kids now. He'd be disgusted by the whole process of pregnancy and childbirth and breastfeeding, and he'd probably be sick if he tried to change a nappy.

The Mollusk

What if we kissed on the hope is everything bench 😳🙈

Blue Jam

phes