Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Bench Wench (on Gervais' angelic bullying): "You prod them ... to make them think"

Big laugh, especially since it came right after the scene where he was sat next to a hospital bed, winding up a heart attack victim for 5 minutes.

BritishHobo

That's so shit. Even if you're a fan of the kind of tedious cunt who loves pranks and banter, nobody in the world would ever gush that those things are motivated by some pure-hearted desire to improve your friend's lives. He's a fucking maniac.

frajer

"Kindness through cuntiness" now seems to be Gervais's sole stock in trade.

In which case, fuck off and put some effort into your work Rick, you boring egotistical cunt.

phes

This all sounds exactly like what you'd expect from a cruel and vain narcissist of limited ability and intelligence, who has never read anything or paid attention to anyone else

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 28, 2022, 02:52:07 PMThat's so shit. Even if you're a fan of the kind of tedious cunt who loves pranks and banter, nobody in the world would ever gush that those things are motivated by some pure-hearted desire to improve your friend's lives. He's a fucking maniac.

It's just bad writing. It's used for one purpose at the start and then rebranded by another character to fit the message later. Is it because he's grieving and doesn't give a fuck or is he prodding to make them think?

Also what was he trying to make the Range Rover driver and schoolboy think other than "I'm scared".

Mr Faineant

This thing made me wonder if mawkish pablum is the worst kind of pablum. It fucking feels like it.

Cold Meat Platter

I'm no expert on pablum, but if there's a worse kind of pablum than mawkish pablum I've never come across it.

McChesney Duntz

Crunchy pablum is pretty bad, in my experience.

phes

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on January 28, 2022, 03:46:18 PMLovely stuff.
https://twitter.com/alexcnash/status/1109096504629907457?

Would enjoy watching many more of these. There's a trillion pages of material here to mine if he needed his memory jogging

It could all be avoided by inventing a time machine then going back to the early '80s and bulk-buying the singles of his ill-fated New Romantic project.  Pop star Rick wouldn't have bothered with comedy.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

but that raises the question of what Pop Elder Statesman Ricky would've been like sending himself up guesting in 00's sitcoms?

Kenkun

Limmy reviews After Life... a massively cathartic watch:

TommyTurnips

Good to see someone else outside this forum seeing the show for what it is. Makes a nice change from all the youtube comments that I've seen from wet behind the ears Ricky Gervais fans saying "OMG IT'S BRILLIANT I CRIED AND CRIED AND CRIED".

phes

I try to never get into this at work as it never ends well. I have no desire to subtract pleasure from their enjoyment of this turbid arse leak. And it's hard to explain how I've arrived at where I am with Ricky Gervais. All I can do is ask them if they've ever hate watched a show and then - when they say of course - admit that I've hate-watched Gervais' entire post The Office career 

olliebean

What shows do people who love After Life hate watch? Is it shows that would appeal to someone who doesn't like After Life, or is it shows that are even worse?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: olliebean on February 07, 2022, 08:36:53 AMWhat shows do people who love After Life hate watch? Is it shows that would appeal to someone who doesn't like After Life, or is it shows that are even worse?

I'd like to think there aren't many people outside this forum who hate-watch things. Because it's fucking weird.

phes

Quote from: olliebean on February 07, 2022, 08:36:53 AMWhat shows do people who love After Life hate watch? Is it shows that would appeal to someone who doesn't like After Life, or is it shows that are even worse?

Many friends/colleagues who like After Life like much same things I like, or that this forum likes. Almost everyone likes After Life.

I have friends who love 'so bad they're good' films and genuinely think After Life is genius. I can't explain it

phes

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 07, 2022, 09:27:23 AMI'd like to think there aren't many people outside this forum who hate-watch things. Because it's fucking weird.

A lot of tv draws hate-watching. The only difference is wether that's by design or not. All cab has done is chosen its own villain

Ant Farm Keyboard

There's a lot of hate-watching for the current Sex & the City sequel.
I'm basically hate-watching American Horror Story and a couple of other shows. That said, I've stopped with Gervais after the first episode of Life's Too Short that somebody showed me.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: phes on February 07, 2022, 09:34:12 AMMany friends/colleagues who like After Life like much same things I like, or that this forum likes. Almost everyone likes After Life.

I have friends who love 'so bad they're good' films and genuinely think After Life is genius. I can't explain it
Ha, you've reminded me a comment I read either on here or Pilkipedia from when the first series of Derek finished. It talked about how baffling they found it that Derek hadn't been utterly panned, let alone garner mostly positive reviews. They concluded "Derek is actually a good show and I've gone insane. That's the only logical explanation."

wrec

Quote from: phes on February 07, 2022, 09:34:12 AMMany friends/colleagues who like After Life like much same things I like, or that this forum likes. Almost everyone likes After Life.

I have wondered if it represents a paradigm shift, similar to how the non sequiturs of Family Guy are a sticking point for a lot of comedy fans. Maybe a predilection for a modicum of dramatic consistency, avoidance of cliche, believability etc is nothing but a handicap that prevents the enjoyment of this innovative new style of tragicomedy, which combines extreme sentimentalism and violent cynicism in a way that satisfies others instinctively and on multiple levels. If you aren't simultaneously howling with laughter and keening cathartically with grief as Tony assaults a barman with his father's cremated genitals you're a stupid ugly fat coward who's stuck in the past and therefore don't understand kindness.

kalowski

Quote from: Kenkun on February 06, 2022, 05:41:33 PMLimmy reviews After Life... a massively cathartic watch:

This is fucking amazing.

idunnosomename

It's definitely conceived like a Hallmark movie to hit certain points for idiot consumers. sorry if that's punching down, but it is. it's really manipulative

and when Limmy finally gets the swimming clip (lol the fucking idiot who wastes his time), interesting to see it again. I could do that in Blender over raw footage in an afternoon, and i can barely use Blender (although I suspect it was done in After Effects). I reckon it's a still of her face keyframed over a model's body in 3D space, and it pivots at the end, and they put a blink in mid-shot. you can see the model's hair behind. it's fucking shockingly bad.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

still one of the worst things I've ever seen, made all the funnier by Limmy shouting "Look at that!!" over it

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 07, 2022, 10:34:47 PMand when Limmy finally gets the swimming clip (lol the fucking idiot who wastes his time)

"I'm not just looking for anybody in water."

Some people are just plain weird, aren't they?

evilcommiedictator

AfterLife people watch The Big Bang Theory, and love how smart it makes them feel