Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Jumblegraws on February 09, 2022, 05:17:15 PMLike I said above, you could get that effect just by upping the contrast. Like I also said above, notice the less-lit parts of the blonde section have been turned into pitch black worms.

If the colourist spent the time to create a tracking mask over her head to increase the brightness, there is no way they would've left it as uneven as that. It also wouldn't explain the other weird things about it: the lack of any facial movement, the 2D pivot it does towards the end, the blinking seeming manipulated.

It's not even a blue dress/gold dress sort of thing - we all agree it looks weird and unnatural. I think it would be a real challenge to make organic footage of a human look so strange even if you were trying to.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 09, 2022, 06:01:22 PMIf the colourist spent the time to create a tracking mask over her head to increase the brightness, there is no way they would've left it as uneven as that. It also wouldn't explain the other weird things about it: the lack of any facial movement, the 2D pivot it does towards the end, the blinking seeming manipulated.

Just to be clear, I wasn't wittering on about contrast to support the idea that what we are seeing isn't a superimposition of some sort, just that I think it's the explanation for why it looks like there's someone else's hair sticking out from behind the "mask".

On the "if X spent the time to do Y then why not also do Z?" point, couldn't you say that about just about any aspect of the shot's production (bearing in mind I might have misunderstood you here)?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Jumblegraws on February 09, 2022, 06:51:00 PMOn the "if X spent the time to do Y then why not also do Z?" point, couldn't you say that about just about any aspect of the shot's production (bearing in mind I might have misunderstood you here)?

No, that's exactly it. Which is why I suspect it might have been a complete superimposition without the material to work with. Face replacement can be done well (I think it's quite common now, especially with stunts), but it would need to be properly planned for, with dedicated "face footage" for just that shot.

My final guess is that they did get the shot with Kerry in the lake, then in the edit Gervais (or whoever) didn't like the way it looked (perhaps it cut from him gazing ponderously with the MOTR indie music and then cut to a clearly uncomfortable Kerry struggling to keep her teeth from chattering as she swam), and to manipulate a still image over it was an ill-informed fix suggestion from either Gervais or a producer that they didn't back down from even when it ended up looking (predictably) shit. Happens more often than you'd think, but this is a particularly noticeable/laughable example.

kalowski

The fat arms may be caused by the light refracting but to me they don't look like the arms of Kerry Godliman

Sebastian Cobb

I'll be honest I'm not confident I could identify Kerry Godliman's arms in a line-up.

Captain Z

Bit of a tangent, but Ricky Gervais was an unselected answer on Pointless yesterday. The final lady of the round said "I can picture his face but I'm not a big fan of him, so I can't remember his name", which made me chuckle.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

wouldn't want to be her logging on to twitter last night.

neardark

It's obvious that the face is from a different source to the rest of the shot - even in that low-res Limmy screenshot posted on the previous page you can see the sharpness of it compared to the water.

kngen

has anyone run it through those DeepFake detection programs?

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: kngen on February 09, 2022, 10:57:12 PMhas anyone run it through those DeepFake detection programs?

ffs i cannot comprehend why people would entertain it being real for even a split second. you can see from the still images its a fake, let alone the video.

Hat FM

i can even imagine Kerry Godliman telling Gervais to fuck off when he asked her to swim in that lake. the scene is just a gift to this thread.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kngen on February 09, 2022, 10:57:12 PMhas anyone run it through those DeepFake detection programs?

I reckon it might actually pass one of those since the artefacts it's probably looking for are specfic to the deepfake algorithms (which are way more convincing than this cut and paste job).

idunnosomename

This is a ShallowFake. Where instead of building a dynamic simulation of an individuals face by feeding thousands of images into AI algorithms, you have a single picture of a face and make it blink once

frajer

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 10, 2022, 11:46:58 AMThis is a ShallowFake.

Think we've found Gervais' new project.

Tom Shallow doesn't know why other people do things differently to him, and isn't afraid to say so!! They're such fakes. Well I say he doesn't know, but he does know, because he's really brainy. And strong. Used to be a boxer probably. Still could be if he wanted.

After six episodes of encountering various fakes, Tom realises that he was right all along and has the last laugh. The end. Oh and he has a dog, that bit's crucial. Plus did I mention he was muscly as well as smart?

paruses

I think even though he is a very strong man and so good at boxing he should also be good at all other sports. His catchphrase could be "play some sports" to signal the end of a thing before another thing starts in the programme.

Edit - can be introduced at any point over 18 episodes and unconnected to anything that has happened so far. Don't worry about thinking it through up front.

up_the_hampipe

After Life is so dense with gags you might miss some, but don't worry Ricky will point them out for you https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1491482947307847682?s=21

Might be the most half-arsed background gag I've ever seen. They didn't even write the article.

kalowski

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 10, 2022, 02:45:37 PMAfter Life is so dense with gags you might miss some, but don't worry Ricky will point them out for you https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1491482947307847682?s=21

Might be the most half-arsed background gag I've ever seen. They didn't even write the article.
What is the gag?

olliebean

Quote from: kalowski on February 10, 2022, 05:41:01 PMWhat is the gag?

Gervais crowing about "attention to detail" while posting a picture of a prop newspaper with Lorem Ipsum text.

Dr Rock

My bet on his next series, base on his laziness, will necessitate filming in Hampstead where he lives. What shops are in Hampstead? Art Galleries. Bookshops. Charity Shops. I guarantee his next shitty series will be set in one of those locations.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: olliebean on February 10, 2022, 06:41:31 PMGervais crowing about "attention to detail" while posting a picture of a prop newspaper with Lorem Ipsum text.

haha yes...

checkoutgirl

Attention to detail? What is Ricky smoking? This is attention to detail, they wrote the full article.

Mobius

Just noticed Ricky blocked me on twitter. Shouldn't have posted that Limmy video I suppose. Bit sad he searches for his own name though...

Video Game Fan 2000

I can't imagine its doing great things to his ego to have to tweet shit like "some angels have four legs :heartemoji:" when we know he's a comedy auteur on the level of Shandling and David.

BritishHobo

Cannot believe how shit and nothing-y that headline is, relative to how proud he is of it.

jobotic

People thought at the time that the swimming bit was him superimposing his dead wife's face on a random swimmer as he thought of her wistfully. Fucking cringey but at least it makes sense. Then Gervais says it's all natural. He could have got away with it.

Actually he has got away with it.

phes

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 10, 2022, 08:47:21 PMCannot believe how shit and nothing-y that headline is, relative to how proud he is of it.

Still doing the oldies havin sex lol

neardark

I wonder what his partner thinks of Afterlife considering she's a successful author. He should co-write with her.