Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

To be fair, he did put a laughing emoji after the "attention to detail" tweet, so it's possible he was being sarcastic and was actually saying "Look at how half-arsed we got away with making this prop from my show, lol."

idunnosomename

Quote from: neardark on February 10, 2022, 11:53:54 PMI wonder what his partner thinks of Afterlife considering she's a successful author. He should co-write with her.
probably just farts in her face instead

jobotic

..which makes her giggle and then gaze devotedly at him.

Wow! It's in latin an' all. I bet Ricky just tossed that off during his fag break. I bet it's full of all intellectual jokes for the nerds that know how to pause netflix.
Cry laughing just thinking about it.

Hat FM

having only watched the first series of this i never realised the paper Gervais works for is free. so a free paper for a small village? how do all the people in that office get paid? the local newsagent advertising?

idunnosomename

Ricky Gervais doesnt understand how the real world works and that local newspapers basically dont exist anymore beyond online clickbait saturated with adverts owned mostly by one massive corporation.

Might as well interrogate the social economics of Trumpton really

Ron Superior

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread already but I just remembered this this morning.

In one of the Office making of videos, Ricky gave a demonstration of an old character of his called Fat Queer. To summon the character of Fat Queer he put on Stephen's glasses, put on a sort of mincing face and said things like "ooh" and "you're very nice". Can't find any video of it though. Sure I didn't dream it.

Maybe that can be Ricky's next project. He's a gay man, but actually very nice. Everyone else is an idiot etc.

checkoutgirl

On radio he had crappy joke characters Camp David (gay) and Ho Lee Fuk (Chinaman). He does all the characters.

kalowski

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 17, 2022, 08:33:49 PMOn radio he had crappy joke characters Camp David (gay) and Ho Lee Fuk (Chinaman). He does all the characters.
Surely not. Had he not seen Partridge?
"Hello Camp David!"
"Well hello Alan."
"What did you have for breakfast this morning?"
"Oooo mince."

BritishHobo

Ho Le Fuk got another airing in the David Brent film as well.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kalowski on February 17, 2022, 08:47:14 PMSurely not. Had he not seen Partridge?
"Hello Camp David!"
"Well hello Alan."
"What did you have for breakfast this morning?"
"Oooo mince."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGqZzoEM0A

Mobius

He also did a character called "Gavid Gray, the right bent queer" on the XFM show, I believe?

Mobius

Oh and a gay character called Graham on the podcasts, to make Karl feel uncomfortable.

Not to mention numerous "what would you do if a gay rapist with aids wanted to have sex with your corpse after your die" scenarios

Quote from: Ron Superior on February 17, 2022, 08:20:20 PMNot sure if it's been mentioned in the thread already but I just remembered this this morning.

In one of the Office making of videos, Ricky gave a demonstration of an old character of his called Fat Queer. To summon the character of Fat Queer he put on Stephen's glasses, put on a sort of mincing face and said things like "ooh" and "you're very nice". Can't find any video of it though. Sure I didn't dream it.

Maybe that can be Ricky's next project. He's a gay man, but actually very nice. Everyone else is an idiot etc.

It was the Extras DVD Extras:
https://youtu.be/2NtF8PmQbgw

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mobius on February 17, 2022, 09:24:55 PM"what would you do if a gay rapist with aids wanted to have sex with your corpse after your die"

I'd say we gotta join BUPA.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 17, 2022, 08:48:48 PMHo Le Fuk got another airing in the David Brent film as well.

And when he meets Michael in the US Office

frajer

Quote from: Two Headed Sex Beast on February 17, 2022, 11:03:59 PMAnd when he meets Michael in the US Office

I remember that and enjoyed the initial bizarreness of seeing them together, but Gervais is all over the fucking shop.

Also his crowbarred-in use of "that's what she said" makes zero sense.

Schnapple

Quote from: OpenMikeKnight on February 17, 2022, 10:05:47 PMIt was the Extras DVD Extras:
https://youtu.be/2NtF8PmQbgw

I remember this bit clearly ('DOQ', to be more specific), and although I can't stand Gervais these days, I must admit that I still found it quite funny within the context of Steve calling out Ricky's 'range'.

"Extraordinary, it's like being in a room with Peter Sellers!"

I still enjoy seeing them at this stage, before the rot really set in. I recently listened to both their appearances on the Wernham Blogg podcast, and Steve was generous and thoughtful in a way that Ricky, who just steamrolled through with the anecdotes and self-celebration he's been peddling for years now, most definitely wasn't.

Menu

Probably not the first to say this but there's no chance of me ever watching another Gervais thing again but I LOVE this fucking thread.

(actually I do quite like his Golden Globe presenting bits, but that's it. I didn't even like Extras. And the podcast is unlistenable now)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Schnapple on February 18, 2022, 04:07:35 PMI must admit that I still found it quite funny within the context of Steve calling out Ricky's 'range'.

That self deprecation seems to be absent from his many interviews these days. I'm not sure if it's him, the interviewers being more deferential or the complete absence of Merchant to bring him down to Earth, or a combination of them. I watched him on that Geordie podcast and they were talking about how great After Life is with a completely straight face. I could stand about 10 minutes of that.

Menu

poodlefaker

Just caught a bit of this for the first time ever. Two gags about prostitutes in five minutes. Man walks dog to sad music.
It's shit, innit?

GolazoDan

I watched all of this a few weeks ago at the recommendation of a few family members who fall into the pro-After Life crowd. Every time I had to try and explain why I loved the old podcasts so much (like, all time favourites that I still like to revisit) but can't stand this version of Gervais.

Thank god for these threads, my opinions are going to echo many that have come before. My constant thought was: this wants to be emotional and genuine but it's pretending to be those things. It's pretending to have a soul. No amount of dog scenes or licensed tracks or great supporting performances can fix that.

That really stood out because I started watching Detectorists on iPlayer as my next series and that won me over so quickly. It's not a laugh a minute but I like spending time with those characters and it's very warm, just two blokes with a hobby that helps them get through their troubles. Within 3 episodes I was on board. Never really got on board after 3 seasons of After Life.

dead-ced-dead

I can't help but think that Gervais pinched a lot of the surface elements from Detectorists.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I doubt he's ever seen Detectorists. I don't get the impression that Ricky Gervais engages with anything apart from whatever pops into his head while churning something out to a deadline.

BritishHobo

I feel like if After Life featured some detectorists, they would be pathetic, pitiable freaks, a couple of stereotypical weirdos that Tony would recoil from while forced to do an article about how one of them, Paedo Alan, dug up some false teeth which belong to an old man who dropped them because he saw a fat woman and was really shocked about how fat she was.

frajer

Might as well show a dog a card trick.

A dog that then gets walked for 18 hours a day while its owner calls people cunts.

phes

would like to see him play the revolting character for once. Should be easy since he spends his day taking photos with his mouth open and spunkin' on dogs

olliebean

In what sense is Tony in After Life not a revolting character?