Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Quote from: olliebean on March 05, 2022, 08:29:15 AMIn what sense is Tony in After Life not a revolting character?

Tony isn't intended to be the revolting character, he's just sad and misunderstood. Basically a hero

Haha, yeah, he's the everyman we're all supposed to relate to, I'm afraid.

If you think he's revolting, maybe you need your empathy chip recalibrated! Do I have to remind you that his wife died three years ago?!

Let's see how much of a revolting, self pitying, self absorbed brat you become when your wife dies, shall we? Let's see how long it is before you shake off swaggering around parks with your collar up, squinting at the distance, looking all cool and broody. Let's see how long it takes for you to stop bullying your work colleagues, downing bottles of wine and smoking big heroin biftas.

Cuellar

Come on now. That was an act of pure kindness from one lost soul to another.
The junkie needed enough money to buy enough drugs to finally take the pain away forever.
Gentle Ricky doesn't pry or judge. He asks what a brother needs right now, and he helps them get it.
He understood his plight. The world can't be any worse with less pain in it.

Oh, hang on ... Do homeless junkies have relatives that might grieve them?
Oh, Ricky. What have you done!

idunnosomename

This popped up in the replies of Gervais' self congratulation about his "tubby little ginger cunt" scene

https://twitter.com/MCFCDANLEE/status/1502765521418297346

Deso

Jockice

Take it from me, having a go at a ginger kid or indeed a fat one has fuck all to do with social etiquette or not caring about consequences. The only two groups of people it's - arguably. And I'd argue it - considered perfectly okay to say absolutely anything about without any consequences at all. I've never been overweight incidentally and it's only very recently that 'fat-shaming' has become a thing but you can still generally get away with insulting tubby people.

Quote from: Jockice on March 13, 2022, 01:40:40 PMTake it from me, having a go at a ginger kid or indeed a fat one has fuck all to do with social etiquette or not caring about consequences. The only two groups of people it's - arguably. And I'd argue it - considered perfectly okay to say absolutely anything about without any consequences at all. I've never been overweight incidentally and it's only very recently that 'fat-shaming' has become a thing but you can still generally get away with insulting tubby people.

I can also recall skinny kid at school, including me, getting called 'snap.'

Jockice

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 13, 2022, 01:48:26 PMI can also recall skinny kid at school, including me, getting called 'snap.'

Fair enough. I was no heavyweight myself. And a friend of mine got called Skeletor cos he was so skinny. Although Skeletor himself isn't.

Menu

Fat-shaming Skeletor now is it?

idunnosomename

earl_sleek

Skeletor is rather hench, especially for a skellington.

kalowski

MigraineBoy

Limmy's After Life review got 5 stars from Stewart Lee in his latest newsletter.

Mobius

If anyone is interested, this bloke on youtube who has done good Peep Show and other comedy videos in the past has done a review of After Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmjbdSu9vV0

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Mobius on March 22, 2022, 10:53:46 PMIf anyone is interested, this bloke on youtube who has done good Peep Show and other comedy videos in the past has done a review of After Life

That came up in the recommendations for me last night. Watched it, seemed to sum up everyone's feelings on this thread quite well I thought. The bit about him being so two-dimensional is so very true. I recently watched all the RG back catalogue and you could clip any of the bits into any other of his films and it wouldn't look out of place, with the exception of Brent.

There are other actors out there will limited capability but somehow can pull it off, perhaps as they are aware of their limitations or just do that one character really well. Thinking of Johna Hill for example. Don't think Ricky is one of them.

Still, very curious as to what the next highly acclaimed shit piece Gervais will regurgitate next.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Mobius on March 22, 2022, 10:53:46 PMIf anyone is interested, this bloke on youtube who has done good Peep Show and other comedy videos in the past has done a review of After Life

Excellent

idunnosomename

Thats just a funny joke really imo

edit nm i thought this was the April Fools thread. so yes. lol.