Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:49:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hey Jude

Started by kalowski, September 23, 2023, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

It's a good song, I totally get why it caught on in the way it did, but I don't think it is in itself a stonkingly brilliant song. Just a solid Paul track.

And yeah, it feels like it belongs after the White Album, a 1969 song rather than recorded at the start of those sessions. It's in that sort of emotive soft rock, Let is Be, Long and Winding Road, Here Comes the Sun category of Beatles songs.

BlodwynPig

Let's have an open, honest and antagonism free discussion on The Beatles.

Not even the best Band from Manchester.
Humpty Dumpty called, he wants his songs back.
Red Crayola invented psychedelia.

studpuppet

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 24, 2023, 12:06:36 AMInteresting you should mention him... on the day the single was released, early in the morning, one of the big record shops in London was preparing the shop front for the single and some genius had the idea to paint Hey Jude in big letters across the front windows.  Someone pointed out it was reminiscent of the daubings on Jewish shop fronts in Germany in the run-up to WWII and the windows were hastily cleaned.

Not any old genius - no less a genius than one James Paul McCartney, who daubed it (or had it daubed) on the windows of the Apple Boutique in Baker Street.

PaulTMA

Humpty Dumpty was a songwriter?

BlodwynPig

dontpaintyourteeth

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: studpuppet on September 24, 2023, 06:34:50 PMNot any old genius - no less a genius than one James Paul McCartney, who daubed it (or had it daubed) on the windows of the Apple Boutique in Baker Street.

This is EXACTLY how Nazi Germany started.

Spoiler alert
No really, it was.

[close]

BlodwynPig

Video Game Fan 2000

sorry should we be listening to the theme to Blockbusters transposed into 5/8 instead

sevendaughters

Clinton's Cards the song

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on September 24, 2023, 04:07:59 PMThe Beatles are just an Oasis rip off band

Don't be silly, The Beatles had split up before Oasis started.

Glebe

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on September 24, 2023, 07:02:33 PMthe beatles were good

NME return: 'Not as incisive as it used to be.'

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 24, 2023, 07:56:36 PMsorry should we be listening to the theme to Blockbusters transposed into 5/8 instead

Move on from shrill rock n roll and nursery rhymes

markburgle

George Harrisong said he thought Hey Jude was where they peaked, and I can see what he means. You don't have to agree it was their best song, but culturally they were on the wane after that. The records started getting spottier, they started bickering about where to go next, Lennon started checking out, and - apart from the weak-tea Ballad Of John And Yoko - all the remaining singles were just lifted from albums, rather than being standalone entities.

Menu

Quote from: markburgle on September 24, 2023, 09:52:30 PMGeorge Harrisong said he thought Hey Jude was where they peaked

Which is quite magnanimous of him considering it was the cause of one of his biggest resentments towards Paul.

daf

It's no 'Yes' by McAlmont and (I can't believe it's not) Butler!

Spoiler alert
:D
[close]

Oosp

Quote from: bgmnts on September 23, 2023, 01:29:27 PMIt's weird considering how influential they seem to be but I don't think I like a single Beatles song.

*lowers glasses so much they come to rest on my penis*

bgmnts

Quote from: Oosp on November 13, 2023, 12:26:16 AM*lowers glasses so much they come to rest on my penis*

Can't explain why. I find Yesterday a hauntingly beautiful song but I think it's made more by McCartney's vocals than the actual music.

Oh and Day Tripper has a decent guitar riff.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: bgmnts on November 13, 2023, 01:41:02 AMOh and Day Tripper has a decent guitar riff.

It's just another rip-off

popcorn

Never heard Komm, Susser Tod? Only the song Hey Jude could have been

Johnboy

Always loved Hey Jude. It's definitely by the same band that did Rubber Soul.

Tokyo van Ramming

It's no Hey Dude, that's for sure!

The best bit is the pure heart in Ringo's hands on that lead-in fill. A gentle bolt for the body there. 

FredNurke

Made even better by the fact that he only just got back to the kit in time for his cue, having snuck out for a piss.

lauraxsynthesis

Singing together is one of the great joys of humanity and I'm a sucker for an anthem. I was honestly moved by the Hey Jude singalong in the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony. Macca can do no wrong anyway.

studpuppet

Quote from: daf on November 13, 2023, 12:22:04 AMIt's no 'Yes' by McAlmont and (I 'ate you,) Butler!

Spoiler alert
[close]

FTFY

TheMonk

Was recently at a McCartney concert and the Hey Jude singalong was the closest I've been to a religious experience. Impossible to explain really, but the man is a magician. The Beatles were wonderful.

ros vulgaris

It's like drunken life advice from a serial shagger

jamiefairlie

It's an OK song but the whole anointed as a sing along thing is annoying, like Dancing Queen or Angels, just a mulch for people to drunkenly bellow out.

twosclues

The only time it annoyed me was at Live 8 when just the singalong bit was tacked on to the end of McCartney's set, as members of Travis and Snow Patrol shuffled onstage.

Mr Vegetables

I'm listening to it now as a complete music philistine, and I like that it's very therapeutic— that the song feels restorative when I feel very depleted, as the lyrics helpfully point out. Like the first bit holds your sadness, and the next bit holds you as you shift into something else?

So I guess that's a very different thing to an anthem, which is asserting and amplifying an emotion you already feel