Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mackenzie Crook's Worzel Gummidge

Started by Norton Canes, June 06, 2019, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Loved it. Pagan propaganda on primetime Christmas telly. What a time to be alive.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kalowski on December 26, 2019, 07:46:07 PM
It was great. Perfect family viewing. I don't recall any saucy "under the radar" gags, just straightforward fun. My kids loved it.

That's not solo Crook's style, he's in the business of making programmes which actually make people happy. I did enjoy the fleeting metatextual gag about nothing in the Worzel universe making much sense if you dig too deeply, but it was done with love. No smugness, no cynicism, just a genuinely nice show for all the family.

derek stitt

Quite agree with the above. Was tempted to make some Gummidge meets the Wicker man type snarky comment at one point during the pagan like 'ways of the country' type stuff but, thought better of it. Simple pleasant telly.

gib

Quote from: Pseudopath on December 26, 2019, 07:47:07 PM
Loved it. Pagan propaganda on primetime Christmas telly. What a time to be alive.

Watched this with our 8 year old and loved it too. It's only when i read your post did i realise that it wasn't at all christmassy and yet watching it was the first time i felt in the spirit of the season.

Mackenzie Crook is a great bunch of lads.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought that was bloody lovely too, they better give Crook a series (or more seasonal specials) as it'd be awful if it was two episodes and done.

timebug

Being a cynical bugger I expected to hate it. In fact, I loved it.Thought it got the tone just right,as has been said already, no mawkishness or nauseating 'good message' crap, just a charming little chunk of telly.I speak as a massive 'Detectorists' fan of course, so Crook would have to wander very far off course to do any wrong for me!

Butchers Blind

Looking forward to Palin's turn as the Green Man tonight. 

Wasn't quite Aryan enough for some of the Twitter brigade, I see.

derek stitt

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 27, 2019, 11:31:50 AM

Why didn't these thoroughbreds take some solace in the fact that Worzel did not see the kids as human at first. Imagine being that daft you can't even do racism right.

Malcy

Enjoyed it too. And nice to see a thread on here giving something lots of praise and not picking it apart piece by piece to find fault!

Looking forward to tonight's as well and it seems to have been really liked anywhere I've passed articles on it.

Would be nice to have one of these every year.

Quote from: Malcy on December 27, 2019, 02:50:57 PM
Would be nice to have one of these every year.

I think that's what they'll probably do. It's a guaranteed Christmas ratings hit and it also makes sense from a production point of view, as they can film it in the summer (although I daresay there's a Worzel story set at Christmas; I haven't read the books).

Malcy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 27, 2019, 02:58:20 PM
I think that's what they'll probably do. It's a guaranteed Christmas ratings hit and it also makes sense from a production point of view, as they can film it in the summer (although I daresay there's a Worzel story set at Christmas; I haven't read the books).

Fingers crossed. Could have one set in each season.

Mr_Simnock

That was fantastic, great 2 part mini series. When worzel talked about scarecrow names for the children my first thought was that there are going to be more.

Norton Canes

kalowski

Delightful.
And I forgot to mention the music from The Unthanks after yesterday's episode. Made it perfect.

Mackenzie Crook is an actual artist. He creates programmes with a distinctive voice; warm, sweet, clever, funny, haunting and full of well-observed affection for humans.

He's the anti-Gervais.

And yes, I know he once did that song with Iain Lee about having a big cock. No one's perfect.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 27, 2019, 10:03:00 PM
Mackenzie Crook is an actual artist. He creates programmes with a distinctive voice; warm, sweet, clever, funny, haunting and full of well-observed affection for humans.

He's the anti-Gervais.

He really is, and I hope that we get to see more of his Worzel, and that the BBC give him all the money he needs to make anything else he wants to as well.

On the BBC front I have been harsh about them in the recent past, but they really do deserve kudos for making the show, I can't imagine ITV or Channel 4 ever doing something so unique.

Shades of 'Cowe Gonna Be Chopps' in tonight's episode.  Loved the scarecrow biker gang.

Dewt

This is lovely. I wish I could talk to my dad about it. He is a lifelong fan of Worzel, but not of black people.

Dewt

CGI is crap though. I wish the BBC would fire their CGI people, and their journalists. And shut down for good

Dewt

Crop circle scene looked pretty good, though.

olliebean

Danger Man

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 27, 2019, 11:31:50 AM

It's filmed in Bucks/Herts. The taxi driver at the start was a white middle-aged man. There are more talking scarecrows in that part of the world than white taxi drivers, so the Twitter crowd should be happy about that.