Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Kelvin

Mario cast was pretty good, even if I'm not really interested in the film. Can't really picture Pratt as Mario, but the rest all seemed good choices, especially Jack Black as Bowser.

madhair60

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 23, 2021, 11:12:38 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. They put him in The Last of Us and it looks weird.

https://youtu.be/H3LAkr0ANgw

Kirby for people who don't like Kirby. I despise it. I'm genuinely depressed. They made Kirby like everything else.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 23, 2021, 11:55:15 PM
Kirby for people who don't like Kirby. I despise it. I'm genuinely depressed. They made Kirby like everything else.

Under 65's want to play a Kirby game too.

Spoiler alert
This is just a good natured josh about the awful Kirby series.
[close]

madhair60

Kelvin

madhair60

would prefer that to what we got.

i'm not even meming, this has made me really fucking sad. lol.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 24, 2021, 12:04:02 AM
would prefer that to what we got.

i'm not even meming, this has made me really fucking sad. lol.

I'll stop being a scamp, Madders.

In seriousness, I couldn't actually work out how the game played. It sort of looked superficially like it had 3D movement at times, but then the way the camera moved made it look like it was mostly working on a 2D plane still.

Kelvin

Mario Party looking great, really polished. First one of those I've been excited for in years.

GoblinAhFuckScary

wait what they put n64 games on after like four years and you have to pay more just for that? absolute con artist company

i will steal all your games

Chedney Honks

I had absolutely brilliant fun with my Switch, especially in the first two years, but Nintendo as a company have squandered so much goodwill since then. I'm tired of their conservatism, baffling decisions and opacity. This was probably their best Direct in a long time but I have so little interest in them as a company at this point. Beyond everything else, their new first party games have been B tier at very best since Odyssey. They're no longer a mark of quality. They're a mark of 'will this do?'

I will still buy their big Mario and Zelda games and I expect their top tier teams will produce moments of genius, but I've no interest in most of what they put out, nor the way they operate. The recent 'OLED Switch' announcement epitomises the very worst of contemporary Nintendo. Maximum milking with the least ambition or investment. Technically, the Switch struggles to even run its own first party games these days and it's pretty much two generations behind. I wouldn't care if the games were all 2017 tier but nothing has come close since.

Can't believe they finally made a decent Kirby game, though.

madhair60

Pink Gregory

They really Kirb'd your Enthusiasm with that one, huh

Jerzy Bondov

Getting N64 games when you were expecting Game Boy games is like biting into a big pasty and finding it's full of crap games

Beagle 2

I really like the look of that Kirby game, as in my child will be well into it. Sorry Madhair! If it helps, I really enjoyed the recent Kirby Retronauts podcast, despite it not being a series I've ever really given a shit about. Same as the Doctor Who episode actually.

I'm chuffed about N64 games, I never owned one so I've always played on emulators. Those and Mega Drive games, if they don't take the piss with the price hike I think it's starting to become decent value.

I still love my Switch but waiting until now to play through Breath of the Wild probably helps.

colacentral

I'm pleased with the N64 games. If the price jump is only a fiver to a tenner extra a year, I think it's worth it, considering that over the span of a few years it would be the equivalent of paying for an N64 collection. F-Zero X, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Sin and Punishment and the two Zeldas are worth it alone. I'd even be quite into playing dreck like the two Castlevania games if they added those. Hopefully they don't take the piss and charge 15 to 20 extra, but I expect it will be that.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: colacentral on September 24, 2021, 12:05:34 PM
I'm pleased with the N64 games. If the price jump is only a fiver to a tenner extra a year, I think it's worth it, considering that over the span of a few years it would be the equivalent of paying for an N64 collection. F-Zero X, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Sin and Punishment and the two Zeldas are worth it alone. I'd even be quite into playing dreck like the two Castlevania games if they added those. Hopefully they don't take the piss and charge 15 to 20 extra, but I expect it will be that.

wouldn't it be more like paying a fiver more a month?

playing my housemate's xbox 1 recently and the whole gamepass thing is just such good value when you compare that to nintendo's measly offering of a few games from generations ago

colacentral

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 24, 2021, 12:22:47 PM
wouldn't it be more like paying a fiver more a month?

playing my housemate's xbox 1 recently and the whole gamepass thing is just such good value when you compare that to nintendo's measly offering of a few games from generations ago

How / why? I don't follow what you mean.

It's currently £17.99 a year. A fiver extra a month would be hiking the price to 80 quid, which would be insane. It's going to be between a fiver to 20 quid extra a year at the most.

Nintendo take the piss with a lot of things but asking for money for games that categorically still hold value is not really one of them.

Game pass is the equivalent of Spotify. If you want to use it, that's fine, but it's not how I quantify how much something I enjoy is actually worth.

Beagle 2

No, it's a year. You're comparing two completely different things there. Not saying Nintendo's offering hasn't been piss poor but I've seen rumours that it's going up a fiver a year. All those retro games within a nice no-stress interface for £25 a year, plus the other bits and pieces they throw in, I think it starts to look like great value. Of course, they'll probably bump it up to £49.99 now I've said that, they love £49.99 don't they, it's their absolute favourite.

madhair60

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 24, 2021, 12:04:12 PM
I really like the look of that Kirby game, as in my child will be well into it. Sorry Madhair! If it helps, I really enjoyed the recent Kirby Retronauts podcast, despite it not being a series I've ever really given a shit about. Same as the Doctor Who episode actually.

<3

Look - the fact is, I will probably end up bloody loving this new Kirby. It's me.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: colacentral on September 24, 2021, 12:33:39 PM
How / why? I don't follow what you mean.

It's currently £17.99 a year.

huh. could have sworn i was paying like 4 quid a month when had it last year for a bit

That new kirby game looks like all their other shit. I don't understand what the issue is.
You still get to suck off the baddies. What am I missing?

Jerzy Bondov

He's like running around a ruined city, he's meant to be in a colourful dreamscape, like on a big cake or something, not Nier Automata.

popcorn

I do sort of like Nintendo's willingness to put its characters in odd contexts though.

Jerzy Bondov

As usual, Sega did it first:

I like the Odyssey level that looks like Dark Souls. Wish there was more to that bit

madhair60

my issue with new Kirby is the gameplay change rather than the aesthetic. I'm sure in the end I will still enjoy the game plenty, I just wish it was more of the same because I adored that series.

peanutbutter

Think there's a couple of N64 games where the possibility to play them easily with pals online or together has some value as a short term purchase. MK64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis and Smash 64 would all probably get some mileage with a couple of my friends. While No Mercy is an obvious no go it'd be neat if they could get a couple of shitty little sports games onto it.

Apparently Nintendo will be using the PAL versions of the N64 games in Europe, so they can basically fuck right off with that. Switch can't output at 50Hz native either, so they'll end up doing some wanky frame duplication shite to get it to conform to 60fps (they did this on Wii U).

Still, at least I can finally buy an official Bluetooth N64 controller to use on my PC.

Consignia

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 24, 2021, 02:22:11 PM
Apparently Nintendo will be using the PAL versions of the N64 games in Europe, so they can basically fuck right off with that. Switch can't output at 50Hz native either, so they'll end up doing some wanky frame duplication shite to get it to conform to 60fps (they did this on Wii U).

Still, at least I can finally buy an official Bluetooth N64 controller to use on my PC.

Eh? How are they going to enforce that? Your switch online account is region less, so if you download the Japanese Famicom app you can play the Japanese version of NES games. What's to stop people just downloading the US app?

Absolutely nothing other than not being arsed.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 24, 2021, 02:22:11 PM
Apparently Nintendo will be using the PAL versions of the N64 games in Europe

Lol